Frog Beaufighter TFX.xxxxFinishedxxxxx

Afternoon all,I was at a local Sunday market just before Christmas and tucked away on a bric a brac stall was a couple of Beaufighter's and a couple of

Vampire's so negotiated one of each both still sealed up so fortunately the Mk X is an option so good excuse for a build.

Box art.

39676731932_38531b85c2_b.jpg

Inside the content's were in a poly bag and the decal's look OK,stand is a bit wild though.

38809981415_b6c30da3e8_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I hope you've got more parts than you're showing us

Two sets of tail planes?

Yes all the parts are there thankfully!

To be honest the Vampire is as good as the day it went in the box over forty year's ago.

25850588208_427267c328_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Hi folk's,planning to restrict this build to weekend's only so tonight I cleaned up the major part's off the sprue and assembled the sparse cockpit                                                                     before painting, I'm just sticking  to OOB as really I just want to see the old girl given(hopefully) a better paint job than I would have given her

many year's ago when we were both a lot younger!

24933910287_079f8f1986_b.jpg

• Like 5

I built the Novo release a few years ago. Lots of flash and mould damage. I don’t remember two sets of tailplanes in mine. I can’t make out from your photos if there is an opening along the bottom of the fuselage. At some time in its life the mould was modified for ‘Spin-a-prop’ and the installation of a AA battery. Also the housing for the Bendix autopilot was added (badly and assymetricly).

The ventral part was moulded in clear plastic and was a short shot!

38915532025_a712f94f27_b.jpg

Also on my version the ailerons had been semi modified so that some were separate, others still moulded in situ, whilst others were missing......

39814261251_13b32c6114_b.jpg

And yes it was a putty monster, mainly because the moulds were right totally stuffed.

However as yours is a Frog original, fit should be better and wear at a minimum.

I’m not trying to put you off, honest!

Trevor

• Like 3

Look's a real horror story Trevor,I'm happy to say this ones as good as it get's for a Frog mold  bit of sanding and slither of filler here and there

so here's progress till next weekend.

39110003194_ca9c09b312_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That looks a great deal more pristine than mine was from the box/bag!

Trevor

I remember building a couple of NOVO kit's Trevor the mold's were all but shot and that was back in the eighties!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I remember building a couple of NOVO kit's Trevor the mold's were all but shot and that was back in the eighties!

bought mine in the 80’s. My stash is older than my children.

Trevor

• Like 1

Hi folk's work's got in the way of modelling this weekend so did a little today on this one,cleaned up the seam's and filled a few places( no more

than some newer releases mind) just the wing leading edges need a sand as they seperated a little and needed a run of liquid poly along.Dry run

of the canopy etc shows no issues last job was to fit the u/c door's.

28135788509_2d884cec30_b.jpg

• Like 9

The FROG kit was Ray Rimmel's choice as the starting point for the Mk1 in his Battle of Britain collection back in the day. 

He did comment on the belly panel and IIRC made a new one from scratch. It had quite a few incarnations, finally, as noted, being modified to represent an Australian version. I don't know if the 2 tailplane option survived the later retooling but they were certainly a feature of earlier boxings.

I might still have the remains of a FROG Mk1 decal sheet somewhere. 

John 

• Like 1

I'm quite enjoying this old kit I have decal's for a Blenhiem from a Battle of Britain sheet so may well pick up an early boxing in the future they are

as little as a fiver second hand,It's got me thinking of having a crack at the old Airfix one now in those lovely D-Day stripes.

• Like 1

Morning folk's I think I've got her as good as it get's clean up wise so using the underside sky I primed the lot,it's revealed a couple of area's

that needa slither of filler.

25113559337_e46cc4ee99_b.jpg

• Like 7

Good evening Steve,

this Beau does look the part, so an OOB build makes sense! And it looks really good. I have never built a Beaufighter and this should be rectified. But I have my eyes on the Airfix one. 

The Vampire you got, though, was the first Frog kit I ever built, ad it is still in my family home in France, no doubt barely visible under the cobwebs!

These kits are good, so enjoy and have fun!

JR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jean said:

Good evening Steve,

this Beau does look the part, so an OOB build makes sense! And it looks really good. I have never built a Beaufighter and this should be rectified. But I have my eyes on the Airfix one. 

The Vampire you got, though, was the first Frog kit I ever built, ad it is still in my family home in France, no doubt barely visible under the cobwebs!

These kits are good, so enjoy and have fun!

JR

Hi Jean thank's for looking in,I moved this one on further today first with a thin brushed black along the panel lines.

28211735029_4bd95a00ee_b.jpg

A spray of sky and it's just made them noticeble although to a lesserextent in the photo.

39959474782_26d66d8208_b.jpg

And last job was a spray of the upper gray,also a first coat of interior green in the wheel well's and door's.

39959482802_807976bd1c_b.jpg

• Like 6

Morning all,first coat o fgreen brushed on one more should doit tomorrow when it's fully dried,props also under a coat of paint and started the

u/c painting.

26129188748_a5afa620a5_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8