Czech Airforce 10 year service anniversary Gripen

Here is my entry, SAAB Gripen JAS 39C. I think the aircraft that wore the stunning Czech Eagle 10 year anniversary tail art was actually a D two seat trainer version, but I prefer the C version. Il give myself till Wednesday to see if this will bother me enough to order the D to be super accurate, but think the C will look better....

59BF8760-CD7C-4A37-8D3E-93D8C2137A81

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 7

Well somehow this is as far as I got. The Eduard Self adhesive was not very adhesive on some parts and I kind of wish I had just made my own cockpit as I’d have been a lot further on. But, this will be cockpit open so hopefully be worth the effort

3050277A-6E95-41C4-8BBD-5C565018B02D

• Like 3

Progressish of sorts....these etch sets are very detailed but very fiddly. Paint work bit sketchy but wait to see what needs painted once etch is on

AF8882FA-4E1B-4A0C-9DD7-ECC36AA70BDD

• Like 2

Struggling with this photo etch business but hopefully worth it in the end. Instructions say anthracite seat but pictures say olive green..the throttle and stick are poorly detailed and the stick is just a blob of plastic in a random shape.

F86E32DF-7FF8-4820-ACA7-26C13D1D6FB5

• Like 3

Lots of flash and the mould isn’t the best but nothing I can’t tidy up with a scalpel, file and sanding stick

Edited by Valkyrie

Starting to come together now, two main ends, big join in the middle then wings on top, exhaust can and radome. Some good fits, some really bad.

3D5C7364-6F3D-4FA5-92FB-C2B208A8A62E

Main frame joined

C236290A-CB2F-479D-8677-A0D84E57F1AA

There will need to be a bit of sanding of seams. Couple of watch outs if you might take this on....the canard on one side is snap fit, the other, where the refuelling probe is housed at the other hardly has any locator pin length and had to be glued to get it to stay on. The refuelling probe can be posed out or simply the cover enclosing the housing...only thing is its a real effort to get the door to fit the space without falling through the gap. I secured a bit of spruce inside and then glued on top.

Starting to shape up now, sanding then priming main air frame and small parts..

1FF929E1-F1D0-4391-8F0F-780446A250AB

• Like 6

The carpet monster has struck and she rarely returns that whom or what she claims, cruel world. Wanting to display cockpit open spending countless hours and pounds sterling on etch and snipping the HUD off the sprue it flies past my face and into oblivion...project ruined

B3A10D07-77D0-4AD5-9E2C-3FE3A9899590

SAR picked this out somehow

FD0B031A-3323-43D0-B8B4-900234C18AED

Thankgoodness I had earlier had my first ever shot at making a proper HUD with clear green and gloss!

8AAADEE3-5C60-435B-AAEE-A5CE103CA5E0

Most of day was spent searching for this and tidying up the cockpit and pylons and some small parts added...the monster retained a fin from underneath though.

• Like 4

Glad you found it, carpet monster struck at mine last night also, 10 minutes shaping one of the cockpit lamps for the Beau completely wasted...it baffles me how things can just disappear!

• Sad 1

Painstaking hour plus masking the cockpit, very fine frame and a very very thin intricate frame runs along the middle length of the rear canopy. Issue: Canopy fit is utter rubbish, it’s squint one way and doesn’t fit the other. Good job I am having displayed open...on looking at the instructions it doesn’t appear to be an option to pose open..I will worry bout that laters....Tamiya ultra fine light grey primer on after this part. I’m using micro scale Kristal clear for the first time in this build, got their matt varnish too.

95468795-63A3-43F3-A718-B9DCFFACC8C6

Primer on main frame and rest of the bits..

54A63CD9-92B0-47A9-A3E5-86B84B80247A

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2018 at 5:25 AM, Black Knight said:

How are you getting on with this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

Thanks Knight for the gentle push..back with it today, pre shading panel lines and building the uc 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wind and light snow coupled with Mrs Valkyrie being home for Easter means no airbrushing today, outside or inside using the kitchen cooker hood and box barrier method. Panel lines pre shaded with tiny brush and lifecolor Matt black. Il now mark up and tape off for the light and dark greys then take rest of the day to pick which greys. Edging closer to that big expensive tail art decal...

IMG_6762

• Like 5

Finally finally got the main colour sprayed on to this and finally finally decided what I would go for. I purchased all the options that were possibilities and after agonising for ages quickly grabbed Tamiya dark ghost grey during a break in the clouds here. Horrified when it went on very blue but it has turned a glowing electric US type grey which I'm pretty happy with. When you like grey aircraft you gotta be happy as there is 50 shades you could use on each subject. Curing nicely and pre-shading beginning to appear back through. A bit of time to pick my light grey and then it's nearly tail art decal time. 

IMG_6778

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 2

Now I am not so sure on my greys. The dark grey is dark ghost grey but now I think it’s a bit blue in some lights and the light grey is Akan light grey, not sure....wondering if a spray of ocean grey might be too dark. 

D561E50E-D883-4768-8B31-11943C580AF1

• Like 1

I think I am going to have to change the scheme with this one unfortunately, even Mrs Valkyrie says it doesn't look right! I have to admit, it's a but Luftwaffe Eurofighter colourway. I think I'm going to fire a coat of Ocean grey on top. I've not done this sort of thing before so hopefully I can pull it off...watch this space. I just want the fancy decal on! I'm again thinking of ordering up the 2 seater which this tail art is meant to be on but not sure how that sits with starting a new thread?