My Orange Spitfire

Oldone

Thanks to Scimiter ,I have just got to try and build a Spitfire Mk1Xc Schreiner Airways Texel. I do not have a Mk1Xc just 2 revel Mk V so I am going to try my hand at converting one of those. Just hope I do not make a right old mesh off it all. Thisis the kit I will be using.I may be aking one or two things about this build.

d7e4eeea-663a-4654-a681-9702fdc6ecb0.jpg

• Like 4

A bit of work done on the spitfire manage to make another duct on the underside of the wing ( if that what its called ? ), not a to bad a job of it for me, and and a bit of painting plus started to fit the seat and instrument panel.

ed66dd37-2dd3-40a2-bd29-694b5cf9d674.jpg

An interesting project, I'll be following your progress (although I think I'd buy an Airfix, AZ/ KP or, (best of all) an Eduard MkIX rather than go to the trouble of converting the Revel MkV so, more power to your elbow for being a lot lazy than me).

How are you planning to extend the nose? 

1 hour ago, Oldone said:

[...] manage to make another duct on the underside of the wing ( if that what its called ? ), not a to bad a job of it for me, and and a bit of painting plus started to fit the seat and instrument panel.

It's a radiator fairing, the oil cooler was in one of them too (but I can't remember which one!)

49 minutes ago, Beard said:

An interesting project, I'll be following your progress (although I think I'd buy an Airfix, AZ/ KP or, (best of all) an Eduard MkIX rather than go to the trouble of converting the Revel MkV so, more power to your elbow for being a lot lazy than me).

How are you planning to extend the nose? 

It's a radiator fairing, the oil cooler was in one of them too (but I can't remember which one!)

Thanks for the info about the radiator fairing.

Never thought about the nose and how to extend it,That will teach me ( no it wont )I've just measured  The Revell Mk V and my Eduard MkIXc and the nose is the same lenght or close enought for me ( my eye sight is not as good as it used to be, thats my excuse ).

Not going to be any thing to fancy on this build, just me learning and trying how to make a mass off things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldone said:

Never thought about the nose and how to extend it,That will teach me ( no it wont )I've just measured  The Revell Mk V and my Eduard MkIXc and the nose is the same lenght or close enought for me ( my eye sight is not as good as it used to be, thats my excuse ).

Not going to be any thing to fancy on this build, just me learning and trying how to make a mass off things

Fair enough, none of my builds are fancy either.

If you need some MkIX bits, the exhaust and four-blade propeller spring to mind, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Beard said:

Fair enough, none of my builds are fancy either.

If you need some MkIX bits, the exhaust and four-blade propeller spring to mind, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

Thank you for your very kind offer. I have a spare four-blade propeller and I think I have the right Exhaust.

I have seen and watch some off your builds, they are really good. I have been watching and learning from you and getting one or two idea's.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oldone said:

Thank you for your very kind offer. I have a spare four-blade propeller and I think I have the right Exhaust.

The MkIX had individual exhaust stacks.

41 minutes ago, Oldone said:

I have seen and watch some off your builds, they are really good. I have been watching and learning from you and getting one or two idea's.

Thank you but I suspect you'll only learn bad habits from my builds.

• Like 1

Its your fault Beard. NOW IM NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THE NOSE.. So thinking cap on and this is what i've come up with if it works. Measured how much sort it was, then glued a piece of balsa wood on and filled the gaps with putty. Now wait for it to all dry and start to shap it, easyer said than done me thinks.

d749f990-c0c2-46ef-b807-48e98d1c1038.jpg

Edited by Oldone
  • Like 1

I like how you've don't the longer nose (proper old-school modelling) and the colour is very striking but I don't think there were any four-cannon Spitfire IXs, certainly I'm not aware of any that were operational, so there wouldn't be outer cannon, only stubs. Like this:

43sqdn-Spitfire_IX_Italy.jpg

Edit: I've just realised the aircraft was a target tug so, probably, wouldn't have any cannon at all. I've had a search for photographs but haven't found any that prove or disprove my theory.

Edited by Beard

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/memorix/ac6ececb-67e7-2882-6a8f-91fd3d27a8bb

This one shows the PH-NFP

This is the PH-NFR and a undefined Spit...

spitfires-texel.jpg?w=350

As you can see on both pictures the guns where capped but not exactly in  the same manner on each aircraft!!

Cheers Jan

Edited by janneman36
Info added
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/memorix/ac6ececb-67e7-2882-6a8f-91fd3d27a8bb

This one shows the PH-NFP

This is the PH-NFR and a undefined Spit...

spitfires-texel.jpg?w=350

As you can see on both pictures the guns where capped but not exactly in  the same manner on each aircraft!!

Cheers Jan

Hi Jan I am doing Spitfire Mk.IX, PH-NFP  as in the picture belowe.

3cb641fd-8ff3-4c63-bbeb-8b828318b78d.jpg

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I like how you've don't the longer nose (proper old-school modelling) and the colour is very striking but I don't think there were any four-cannon Spitfire IXs, certainly I'm not aware of any that were operational, so there wouldn't be outer cannon, only stubs. Like this:

43sqdn-Spitfire_IX_Italy.jpg

Edit: I've just realised the aircraft was a target tug so, probably, wouldn't have any cannon at all. I've had a search for photographs but haven't found any that prove or disprove my theory.

Hi Beard, I keeped droping the stubs so put those on ready to chop down, a lot easyer for me.. Im going on the picture I've put up.

Edited by Oldone
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldone said:

I know that in the Photo its more of a yellow orange so I may have to give it another coat.

I think your orange is correct enough..

Did you see the picture at the beeldbank link?

That is the same aircraft you are building..

Cheers , Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I think your orange is correct enough..

Did you see the picture at the beeldbank link?

That is the same aircraft you are building..

Cheers , Jan

Hi Jan yes I did see the picture. I have not seen the one in the link before, so thank you for that..

Now I do not know what to do about the orange keep it as it is or go for a more yellow orange .

Interesting to see that North American AT-6 Harvard. I may See if I can get a kit in 1/72 to build

A little bit mor work to to my Spitfire, and not quit looking has orange red in this light. So will leave it in the orange she is.I think a coat of mat varnish and then the black paint. Canopy just place on,will fix that last.

99a74eae-fc39-4fbe-921d-d0b24e8655b2.jpg

3ad41634-c7e2-4590-a883-e623fc9c28e5.jpg

• Like 4