1/48 M-10 Tank Destroyer

Calum

The kit for this year’s NSW (Australia) Scale Model Show’s “Panzer Tracks” trophy is any of the five (5) Tamiya kits that use the M4 Sherman hull.

I already had several of these kits in the stash as the Kiwi used quite a few Shermans WW II.  I chose the M-10 Tank destroyer as the Kiwi M4 Tanks have a different upper hull from that kitted by Tamiya.

The Tamiya kits are a pretty simple build, although, the M-10 with it’s open compartment added an hour or so to build. I added some card to stop the “see though” effect that these kits have.

M-10-01.jpg

The comp allows stowage and metal barrels so I dug the Legend Stowage set from the stash. I didn’t use the bits for the front. Instead I decided to try and simulate what I’d seen on photos in my references.  I added some card on the front to simulate some metal bar welded on in the field. I then painted it forgetting to add the front stowage.

I first painted it a home made mixture of Olive drab before noticing that the references said the Kiwi vehicles were painted British SCC Olive drab . I made a mixture from various different colours and ended up with green…. At this stage I’d had enough wasting paint so I decided that this is close enough.

M-10-03.jpg

M-10-04.jpg

M-10-05.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 5

If it helps Calum, Mike Starmer mix for SCC15 Olive drab is 5 parts xf81 to 1 part  xf58 and 1 partXf71.

You could still go over the tank with this mix . You know, if you want to be accurate and all😆

it does look a little green ,but not sure if it’s just the lighting. I like the way you’ve laid out the stowage. Actually, weren’t you painting the stowage when talking to me yesterday? 

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang

16 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

If it helps Calum, Mike Starmer mix for SCC15 Olive drab is 5 parts xf81 to 1 part  xf58 and 1 partXf71.

You could still go over the tank with this mix . You know, if you want to be accurate and all😆

it does look a little green ,but not sure if it’s just the lighting. I like the way you’ve laid out the stowage. Actually, weren’t you painting the stowage when talking to me yesterday? 

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce..I did find Mikes mixture but never had any XF 81.. (and I've been to model sports twice since then and forgot to get some).   I have painted the stowage now.  I'm hoping it'll darken up a bit with some washes etc...

of course I can only dream of reaching your level of accuracy (cough... CRC Spitfire :D )

13 hours ago, JackG said:

The build looks right on, but the colour looks washed out - am hoping that is a result of camera flash or lighting?

regards,

Jack

It's pretty green Jack, But the lighting doesn't help. Hopefully it'll darken up under some weathering

• Like 1

Got some paint on the stowage. I used Vallejo acrylics to pick out the various pieces and finished of with a bit of dry brushing. No time for a gloss coat and a wash  

M-10-06.jpg

M-10-07.jpg

Mmmm Need to paint that piece under the rear :D

M-10-08.jpg

M-10-09.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After I gloss coated the model  I found a image of the vehicle I am modelling in, funnily enough, my reference material . So I decided to add the welded on boxes on the front guards along with the piece of timber that was attached across the front, I decided not to remove the stowage I've already attached as I like the look of it all loaded up.

I then added some more stowage to the area above the bar and painted it.

M-10-10.jpg

M-10-11.jpg

M-10-12.jpg

M-10-13.jpg

A flat coat then a brown enamel layer to start the weathering process

M-10-14.jpg

M-10-15.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...