1:72 revell P-38 F/G/H origin ?

brewerjerry

Hi All

Just got off e bay a revell 1:72 P-38 F/G/ H

However i can find no info on the web about it :(

anyone know anything ?

it has the 'early type' engine cowls, so its not the later 'big rad' type. 

cheers

jerry

I can see they did a F-4A which had the early style engines and recon nose, though other iterations were the later armed J/L/M with chin intakes. Maybe Revell reboxed/cross kitted with the earlier engines & armed nose?

Post note. Found the kit if this is the right one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/311341-revell-h-216-lockheed-p-38f-f-4c-lightning

Edited by Tempestwulf

Hi

I have the old one

this one is different sprues 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/REVELL-1-72-P-38F-G-H-LIGHTNING-272-bagged-model-kit-/142649091523?txnId=0&redirect=mobile

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Hi

just noticed in the photo the instructions say monogram pro modeller, so seems seller labelled it wrong :(

still the sprues seem ok 

cheers

jerry

My gut feeling is that it looks "Hasegawaish", but I don't even know if Hase did an early P-38 in 72.

Edit again: Looks like I was half-right!  I do believe that what you've got is the 1/48 ProModeler kit, which IS Hasegawa tooling.  Thought some of the bits looked familiar, but the decal sheet seems to clinch it.  I've noted a fair number of errors with stated scale on eBay.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Those sprues are almost certainly from the 48th scale Hasegawa kit. ( I see gingerbob has identified source)

As to the Revell 72nd scale kits

They released the F4 (reconnaissance) version and a P-38J. For some reason my kits are mixed up the wrong way and the P38J has P38E/F/G/H style radiators and vice versa for the F4.

The two (72nd scale) kits are very similar but has the appropriate differences as needed.

I don't remember the radiators, but I do remember that the early and late Revell Lightnings had the turbo installation wrong-way-round.  In other words, the fairing typical of the early models was on the wing of the late kit, and vice versa. 

3 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I don't remember the radiators, but I do remember that the early and late Revell Lightnings had the turbo installation wrong-way-round.  In other words, the fairing typical of the early models was on the wing of the late kit, and vice versa. 

I do not remember the radiators either, will need to dig kits out of the stash. I do know I landed up buying a number of Airfix P38E/F's. Now there is a possibly a kit that Airfix could re-release.

Hi All

your right

seller just messaged me to say he noticed it is 1:48 when packing it 

so looks like it is the hasegawa moulding.

cheers 

jerry