Back in the hobby after 40 years :)

JCSeattle

Hello from Seattle Washington.

i recently bought a 1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck model, complete with photo etch. It has been about 40 years since I built my last plastic model at a kid.

Growing up, my grandfather and I put together Airfix models from WW2. He had been part of a fishing boat crew rescuing a downed B-17 and gotten the airmen to safety, so we built quite a few different bombers and fighters back then. Never painted them, just put on the decals and that was it. 

Well, fast forward to October 2017 and I somehow ended up on a website showing a stunning build of a 1/200 Bismarck. It got me interested in building one, so I ordered the kit and all the tools needed to start building g again.

i quickly realized that there is quite a difference between a large ship model and a plane build. Especially with the added photo etch and painting. So, I shelved the Bismarck for a while and bought some simpler kits.

I have finished 2 Uboats in 1/72 scale from Revell and they turned out really nice. VIIC and IXC types. Currently I'm building a Flower Class Corvette in 1/72 scale and it is a super fun build. Truly enjoying it, learning weathering and paint techniques.

looking forward to sharing build photos and getting inspiration and tips from this website. 

John

• Like 1

Hello John ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from Chicago. Though I dont do ships ( cost and space prohibit me) i would love to build the Bismarck. But you learned a quick and good lesson. Walk before you run. The best advice i can give you is try one new technique, paint , or photo etch with each build. Your skills will catalogue faster than you think and you lessen the chances of frustration/burn out. If i can help or anyone else can just ask. Were a friendly group and someone has the answer you need.

Dennis 

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, I realize there are things to learn for sure. The subs both had PE kits and just using the right glue made huge difference between build 1 and the next. Next up will be airbrushing. I live in a condo on the 25th floor, so it will be interesting if I can get away with not being thrown out by the wife :)

My subs were painted with rattle cans on the balcony and turned out really nice, but I need to try out some airbrushing for the detail work.