Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1

falcon

I finally received my two Airfix FG.1 Phantoms yesterday from Hannants, and anxiously opened one of them to start a preliminary fit. I was impressed with the engineering and the many options in the kit, but was just a little disappointed in the molding – the panel lines are soft, and the fit of a few  parts required a little more fiddling than I anticipated (enjoyable modeling).

Of course I again had to shake my head in disbelief at the lack of prominent vents, but was surprised that Airfix had some other miscues , like: having seams on both sides of the wing tanks (should only be on left side of both tanks); having no lines separating the canopies from the frames (only on the one piece canopy);  not molding recesses in the folding outer wing pieces to mate with the main wing (Airfix “fixed” this in the instructions by having us file off the protrusions that were to have gone into the recesses); and including  TERs that look like nothing I’ve  seen (but  perhaps British Phantoms used a version different from the US?).

I had to do a double take on the stabilator slots – they are too lightly done, and the representation of the pieces that hold the slots proud of the stab appear to be lined up perpendicular to the leading edge instead of properly being parallel to the longitudinal axis of the acft (shades of the Academy 1/48 Phantom). I say “appear” because I had a hard time telling for certain owing to the indistinct moldings.  

Overall, this is an enjoyable build for me! I appreciate the small details as the wing fold and the inside of the Aux Air Doors, and the alternate vertical stab and wing center strengthening straps. The engineering, as of the intakes,  is terrific, but I especially like Airfix’s outstanding approach to giving the modeler options like the alternate positioning of the leading and trailing edge flaps, the radome, the speed brakes, and the front gear – all reasons for me to order “a few” more ... hopefully the next itation will have some fixes.

On 1/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

does the breakup of the kit allow you to insert the folded wings after painting and decaling ... .

Yes ... sort of. The outer wing does not slide into the inner, rather there's a 1cm overlap extension on the outer wing (on both folded and not) that fits onto the bottom of the main wing.

3PEtINn.jpg the dashed line is the seam that Falcon pointed out.

Gene K

• Like 2

Thanks Gene.. your worded description and instruction images are most helpful.

I still do not have a copy of this kit. I do like the sound of all the possible posable options, however (from what I read) there are some items that appear to have been missed or over simplified. It has however peaked my interest in British Phantoms once again, so I'll hopefully tackle one of my stashed Fujimi jobs when I clear the work bench.   

Cheers.. Dave

Dave,

I'm REALLY( !) trying to like this kit, but the fit is challenging. I don't mind fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding ...  but I was expecting more considering the state of art molding one sees with, for example, Academy "click" fits. I think the soft fit is a result of the very soft Airfix plastic. 

In short, it's a modeller's model kit that leaves a lot to be added for those who care for more detail and accuracy. 

Gene K

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...