Thunderbird 2 and 4 from the new Thunderbirds are Go!

I picked up this kit a while ago from Hobby Link Japan, not long after the new Thunderbirds are Go series had started on TV.

I think I can honestly say I like the new design, its much more practical than the original, with much more interesting "twiddly bits" such as the vector thrust engines and the folding wings. The way the pod (now caleld a module) build the vehicles inside rather than just carry the vehicle is innovative and interesting.

That said, I still love the original TB2 and for me that will ALWAYS be Thunderbird 2!

Here are the completed photos, painted using Tamiya paints and weathered with MiG washes. There are a LOT of decals on this, about 30 for the main body, another 20-30 for the pod and another 20 for TB4

DSC_9617.JPG

DSC_9619.JPG

DSC_9620.JPG

DSC_9621.JPG

DSC_9625.JPG

DSC_9626.JPG

Here is the box

DSC_4814.JPG

and a size comparison to the Imai 9" 1:350 TB2

DSC_4822.JPG

The inside detail of the pod/module

DSC_9444.JPG

The cockpit detail

DSC_9425.JPG

and the pod with the door closed

DSC_9470.JPG

Its a 'snap-together' kit which means it fits very well, there was only a small amount of filler required and the kit came with a choice of decals or 'stickers'

DSC_4816.JPG

All in all this was a fun build. I didn't do anything fancy to it so it is an OOB build. Looking back it probably could do with some lighting in the pod as you can't see the lovely details in there, similarly the cockpit is completely obscured as the windows are tiny and the transparency for them isn't very transparent. I've glued the wings into the 'down' position but you could leave them foldable. The vector thrust nozzles are still movable.

I now need to build the equivalent old school TB2 & TB4 kit to pose them side by side :)

• Like 10

Lovely job !  They look much better IMHO than the ones in the series !. You've given them more visual "weight"  than their rather Toy like quality in the show. 

Incidently the shows quality has improved a lot in the most recent batch of episodes . Some good stories and they seem to have remembered the Rescue side of things .

• 3 months later...