Sleeper's 1/48 Valentine X in glorious resinorama

OK here is my entry which, I tell you, had me scratching my head for a while. It's the Wee Friends Valentine XI and an Aber 6pdr barrel to make it a Mk.X. As many of you likely haven't seen the kit I've taken several pictures (badly) to show you what's there. To wit

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo7_1280.jpg

The main hull is quite nicely cast and correctly shows the welded construction. The insert is a very clever touch. You could add a little more detail if you wish but, TBH, not a lot will show. Because it's so intricate there are a couple of bubble holes here and there but nothing to get emotional about. Note the towing lugs have open holes, return roller cast in, open drivers viewport and so on. All good stuff.

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2ji3mleYe1t8blhlo5_1280.jpg

There are two more ziplok bags one with turret and detail stuff and the other with the late type running gear. The close up of the roadwheel shows the level of detail that's been added by the master maker. It should really pop when finished. With the exception of a couple of track links it's all very nicely cast and even those won't cause an issue as they'll go on the bottom.

She'll be marked as a Charger belonging to the Anti-tank Regiment of 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, Thanks to @Sgt.Squarehead @Bullbasket and @JackG over on the Sherman STGB for their help sourcing the markings.

• Like 8

That's an interesting one Nick. I wasn't aware of this kit. The only one that I knew of in this scale is one from Frog of a Mk.ll, and I've got one tucked away in the stash upstairs. I'd like to see how this pans out.

John.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's an interesting one Nick. I wasn't aware of this kit. The only one that I knew of in this scale is one from Frog of a Mk.ll, and I've got one tucked away in the stash upstairs. I'd like to see how this pans out.

John.

The Frog/Fuman one is still a very nice kit. Nigel at Parabellum, Birmingham still has stock. He also does a small but well thought out etch fret which I'll be using. The tracks are a PITA but Gasoline and Wee Friends have us covered there. Importantly the Bandai/Frog kit is essentially accurate which makes life a lot easier. All we really need for the Vally is a decent set of early two pin tracks.

I'm also keen to see how it works. Ian does a Vally Bridgelayer as well :wub:

• Like 2

This will be another source of 'small modeller's envy' for me.....We only seem to get Mk.IIIs in Braille, unless one is willing to undertake the quest for MR Models' mythical parts!  :viking:

Has Ian done these in 1/72 on the sly, I wonder?  :hmmm:

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

unless one is willing to undertake the quest for MR Models' mythical parts!  :viking:

I did just that - only to find they don't come with late pattern tracks and the esci/italeri kit has early pattern :swear:

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress on this. I've got a trapped nerve in my left shoulder (and I'm left handed) which has made anything remotely fiddly impossible. At physio tomorrow and they're confident they can sort it quickly.

My M4 GB entry will over run but I think I'll be OK for this one. He says hopefully.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2018 at 00:41, SleeperService said:

Sorry for the lack of progress on this. I've got a trapped nerve in my left shoulder (and I'm left handed) which has made anything remotely fiddly impossible. At physio tomorrow and they're confident they can sort it quickly.

My M4 GB entry will over run but I think I'll be OK for this one. He says hopefully.

I reckon I know how you feel. I have the same in my right shoulder and I'm right handed. 6 weeks of physio and special exercises

Have you had a chance to do any more on this?

Only 3 weeks left

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I reckon I know how you feel. I have the same in my right shoulder and I'm right handed. 6 weeks of physio and special exercises

Have you had a chance to do any more on this?

Only 3 weeks left

I'm getting there. My hand still feels weird but it's getting there. Not much progress unfortunately but I'm hoping to rectify that over the next few days. Physio tomorrow and then I'll give it a go.
Recently it's just been one stupid thing after another.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Salutations and Celebrations :frantic:

Finally able to get this beast started and, thanks to the quality of the kit progress has been good. So without further ado...tumblr_p8djatDaGF1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Primed roadwheels in front of fettled hull. They really are very well done indeed. Pity that the first set disappeared on a National Express coach but hey ho! There are four hinges moulded on each outside edge of the engine louvres. These need removing. They disappeared from Vickers built tanks during the first contract for the Mk IX before the welded hull was adopted. The hinged plates were then bolted into position and could be removed completely when needed. My early production kit had an oval turret ring which took about twenty minutes to sort out as above. The drive mountings have been removed as they were almost impossible to get behind to clean up. When I broke into an air pocket it was easier to remove and replace.

tumblr_p8djatDaGF1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Here's the underside showing the repair work, not difficult as long as you take it slow. I removed as much from the inner edge of the mudguards as possible as dry fitting suggested it would be tight to get the track in. Thinking ahead for once ;)  I also removed material from the back of the driver's slot as I intend to have that open so Driver Capone can see out. The detail on the rear plate was riddled with bubbles so I removed it all and faced with card to rebuild. I have spoken to Ian Hanratty who is having the masters reworked to make the rear plate separate among other improvements. The central return rollers were also removed as they could do with some TLC.

tumblr_p8djatDaGF1t8blhlo5_1280.jpg  

To match the new turret opening I made a base for the turret. When fitted you can pick the whole thing up by the turret...more luck by judgement. The turret is exactly the same width as the hull which is exactly right. The exhaust has had it's end hollowed out using a Trumpeter scriber which is a perfect fit and the other end has been predrilled for a bit of aluminium tube to ensure a solid joint to the hull. Inside of drivers compartment black to hide the bulkhead the real thing doesn't have.

Got to say that bits of the above sound bad but the kit is anything but. When Ian gets the technique down right the amount of work needed will be tiny so one can spend more time detailing and finishing. I have got OCD (really) so things bother me that many would be cool with. He's done a Bridgelayer and a Bishop so far and I'm quite looking forward to making those up. I highly recommend this kit as an advanced mojo restorer, I'm hopeful of getting it finished by the 13th (?) assuming the decals arrive and are OK this time. More on that later. 

• Like 3

After a break on Tuesday for physio another session yesterday so;

32239523_440717079700357_237282554534061

First part of the suspension and running gear painted. Used Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoat SCC.15 and, as always, it performed perfectly. Central return roller repairs under way and the final drive mounting plates.

32149023_440717139700351_190642764214435

Here's a close up of Driver Capone my second ever figure. The eyes are much better than the first time but I can't get them to show so trust me. He's now in position and is all but invisible....good practice though. Just waiting for the filler to harden before resuming.

Might be away for a few days. I'm transferring onto Universal Credit as sick pay has run out. I can already see there will be 'issues' with the transfer so could find myself without internet for a few days....

• Like 3