British Pacific Fleet aircraft decals & kits

stevehnz

36 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The 1/72 Academy kit also has the bulged fuselage windows.

Chris

Not sure if it's just me but the cowling on the Academy looks waaaay off (too small). Kind of ruins it for me.

• Like 1

Going completely from memory as it was many years ago, but I seem to remember removing the ball from a Matchbox clear plastic base, cutting it in half, polishing the cut edges and having two observer's windows.  Whether these were used on an FAA Avenger or an early Sea King I can't recall. Using two balls might yield a slightly greater window diameter as one would not suffer from the diminution caused by the width of the kerf.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I rounded the end of a piece of wooden dowel and moulded thin clear plastic over it to get the round windows for this conversion of the Airfix Avenger to a Tarpon;

Avenger%2C%2001s-S.jpg

Nice job!  Crash moulding has always terrified me but that's a means of obtaining the industrial quantity of such windows I need.  The Hasegawa Tarpon windows are very disappointing and IIRC the fuselage windows provided with the Frog/Academy one are just solid hemispheres of clear plastic: nothing like as realistic as yours.

1 hour ago, Phantome said:

Not sure if it's just me but the cowling on the Academy looks waaaay off (too small). Kind of ruins it for me.

It's a drop-in match for the FROG kit. Haven't compared it to any other kits.

Chris

• Like 1

I just did a quick check of the Academy cowl and the Hasegawa kit and they both look almost exactly the same. I placed the cowling front from the Academy onto the fuselage of the Hasegawa and it was real close. A few minutes work with a fine file and a sanding stick should do it.

Chris

• Like 1

The Hasegawa wings are a fraction of a millimetre longer than the Academy wings, but the Hasegawa wing fits into a slight recess in the fuselage while the Academy wing joins onto a wingroot that is a bit proud on the fuselage. Makes them about the same wingspan if you want my opinion.

Hasegawa:

Avenger X

Academy:

Avenger Y

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1