British Pacific Fleet aircraft decals & kits

stevehnz

Reading as I am "The British Pacific Fleet" by David Hobbs, I've become interested in modelling their aircraft, in fact, I have been for longer than this being a FAA nut from my youth, something to do with a teacher of mine who'd been RNZVR(A) & was in training late in the war. I was trying to do an inventory of the kits & decal sheets I had which have markings for this phase. I've got the Freightdog Brits at Sea pt 1, Xtradecal Yanks with Roundels part 3 as well as the Xtradecal BPF marking sheet. In kits, without digging them out is a sword Seafire III & Eduard Hellcat with FAA marks, I'm also keen on the earlier BFEF & Meridian so have the DP Casper sheet for that. I'd be keen to get some feedback on what else there is, I'm a 1/72 modeller but it might be useful for 1/48ers to know what there is for them too.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Try and get hold of the SAM transfer pack on the BPF.  It was issued on one of the anniversaries of VJ day (I suppose it must have been the 60th, so 2007) when Neil Robinson was editing Model Aircraft Monthly (or whatever it was called that month).  Designed by a modeller for modellers, it was 3, maybe 4 sheets containing national markings, side numbers, tail codes and serial numbers including a lot of the quirky variations of style in which the FAA excelled.  It was also valuable in containing the "intermediate" 40" roundel-and-bar marking which, while never AFAIK officially recognised, seems to have been used extensively alongside or instead of the official 32" and 48" sizes.  No, you can't have mine.

Also probably unobtainium nowadays are the sheets put out by TallyHo of Canada (not the totally different Polish company) which originally piqued my interest in the East Indies and British Pacific Fleets.  They were accurate with good well-informed instructions.  From memory they covered:

EIF: Kingfisher,  Wildcat V, Seafire III

BPF: Avenger, Hellcat, Corsair II, Corsair IV, Seafire III

• Like 1

Printscale have a sheet dedicated to the Seafire that includes a BPF aircraft (sheet is 72-152) and another couple (a III and a XV) are in Xtradecals 72-135.

The Ventura, now Jay Models, Seafire XV includes BPF decals and IIRC these are also available separately. As the XV arrived too late to see combat it may not be a type you're interested in though

21 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Try and get hold of the SAM transfer pack on the BPF.  It was issued on one of the anniversaries of VJ day (I suppose it must have been the 60th, so 2007) when Neil Robinson was editing Model Aircraft Monthly (or whatever it was called that month).  Designed by a modeller for modellers, it was 3, maybe 4 sheets containing national markings, side numbers, tail codes and serial numbers including a lot of the quirky variations of style in which the FAA excelled.  It was also valuable in containing the "intermediate" 40" roundel-and-bar marking which, while never AFAIK officially recognised, seems to have been used extensively alongside or instead of the official 32" and 48" sizes.  No, you can't have mine.

Also probably unobtainium nowadays are the sheets put out by TallyHo of Canada (not the totally different Polish company) which originally piqued my interest in the East Indies and British Pacific Fleets.  They were accurate with good well-informed instructions.  From memory they covered:

EIF: Kingfisher,  Wildcat V, Seafire III

BPF: Avenger, Hellcat, Corsair II, Corsair IV, Seafire III

Hi Nick, I think we discussed the SAM sheets some years back, I had no luck then but have continued to keep an eye out since. Now you mention it, I have a Tally Ho Hellcat sheet, quite small, maybe one aircraft. There are an increasing number of kits have come out in the last few years with either BPF or EIF markings on, I think Airfix has done the Kingfisher, & Corsair with these, the latter only good for the decals. :) 

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Printscale have a sheet dedicated to the Seafire that includes a BPF aircraft (sheet is 72-152) and another couple (a III and a XV) are in Xtradecals 72-135.

The Ventura, now Jay Models, Seafire XV includes BPF decals and IIRC these are also available separately. As the XV arrived too late to see combat it may not be a type you're interested in though

Thanks Giorgio, I don't have the PS sheet yet but on my to get list. I also have the Ventura/Jays kits & will go for one in immediate postwar BPF colours I reckon . Possibly we're well catered for with Hellcats & Corsairs, enough to keep me quietish for a bit, I think though the Avenger is a weak link in this area, I can see a quest for some more Hasegawa ones coming up & maybe have to break out my sealed Frog one yet, I seem to recall it being BPF as is the Frog  Corsair.

Thanks for the ideas & jogging my memory guys.

What kits can anyone come up with that have markings for these (EIF & BPF) areas?

Steve

There's also Modeldecal Sheet 118.  In 1/72 this had the Large and Small sizes of 'Barred Roundels' with some white letters and numerals.

I believe Hannants now own Modeldecals, though this sheet isn't currently listed so I suppose not much help, just noted for completeness sake.

• Like 1

I believe that the Sword Seafire has a boxing with BPF markings.  The point of the Frog Avenger is that it has the bulged window of the British examples, lacking in the Hasegawa kit.  Some of the Sea Blue Gloss TBM-3Es did reach the BPF but did not, AFAIK, see combat.  I assume that these TMB-3Es did not have the re-arranged interior of the usual FAA Avengers.

The later release of the Frog Barracuda had BPF markings.  Plus at least one of the Sea Otter kits?  Not sure about any Walrus examples.

For the EIF, Airfix did the Hellcat.  I suspect that Tally Ho did too,

• Like 1

I model in the remedial scale rather than 1/72 and the marking sets I use come from Xtradecals via Hannants I then make up my own as the markings were quite formulaic.  I try to build to photographs and records but whereas picking out the Aircraft number is quite straight forward matching the serial number is almost impossible. 

Good of luck with you builds and I look forwards to seeing them on the forum..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Denford said:

There's also Modeldecal Sheet 118.  In 1/72 this had the Large and Small sizes of 'Barred Roundels' with some white letters and numerals.

I believe Hannants now own Modeldecals, though this sheet isn't currently listed so I suppose not much help, just noted for completeness sake.

I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that Modeldecal 118 is what Hannants have reissued under the Xtradecal label as X72064. They've done this with several Modeldecal generic sheets.

16 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I believe that the Sword Seafire has a boxing with BPF markings.  The point of the Frog Avenger is that it has the bulged window of the British examples, lacking in the Hasegawa kit. 

The Hasegawa "Tarpon" boxing of the Avenger contains the proper windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that Modeldecal 118 is what Hannants have reissued under the Xtradecal label as X72064. They've done this with several Modeldecal generic sheets.

You are not incorrect at all. Unfortunately for me I only found out after buying the Modeldecal sheet while I already had the Xtradecals one. This left me with a good number of large and small "roundels", with the result that when I build my Seafire III I had a lot of decals but none of the right size (ended up robbing the roundels from the Ventura Mk.XV kit)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

The Hasegawa "Tarpon" boxing of the Avenger contains the proper windows.

Unfortunately Hasegawa Avengers of any persuasion tend to be somewhat unobtainium  in my neck of the woods, the only Tarpon I could see on ebay was decidedly unaffordium as well. If I can't bring myself to break out a Frog one, I might have to attack an Academy one, I've a part built Frog one from decades ago which is missing bits, perhaps a Academy one could become a donor. :unsure:

Steve.

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Unfortunately Hasegawa Avengers of any persuasion tend to be somewhat unobtainium  in my neck of the woods, the only Tarpon I could see on ebay was decidedly unaffordium as well. If I can't bring myself to break out a Frog one, I might have to attack an Academy one, I've a part built Frog one from decades ago which is missing bits, perhaps a Academy one could become a donor. :unsure:

Steve.

A good reason for Airfix to re-tool the Avenger, complete with folding wings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Denford said:

A good reason for Airfix to re-tool the Avenger, complete with folding wings.

totally agree.

3 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

in the remedial scale please...

just correct to 1/72 would do me, the old Airfix kit is a little overscale. Their recent history suggests a 1/48 (remedial?) is more likely than a 1/72 retool.

Steve.

Hi, stevehnz,

Xtradecals 48052 and 72064 contains the "roundel plus bar" insignia, and there are several sheets with Black and White letters and numerals for both serials and codes.

FErnando

• Like 1

I wish the problem in 1/72 were the decals rather than the more serious one... the kits!

There's no modern steel mold of the Fairey Firefly... the short-run Special Hobby kit is rare nowadays and very expensive.

There's no decent alternative to the Hasegawa Avenger. Also rare to find on eBay and expensive, and even more expensive new whenever there's a rebox (sadly nowadays, mostly combo boxes)

Also no modern steel molds of the Seafire. Sword and Special Hobby did a bunch of them but only a few are still available (mostly post-war types) and they're all short-run.

Thankfully we have the good Eduard Hellcat and Tamiya Corsairs, the latter which would only require cropping and sanding the wings. Nothing too complicated. It is unfortunate that the most widely used BPF Corsair is the Mk. II (F4U-1A) which is from the slightly more expensive boxing vs the slightly cheaper -1D (Mk. III but not used in combat). The recent and cheaper Revell F4U-1A is actually highly inaccurate as it more closely depicts a -1D. The Academy Helldiver is also excellent and a good price given how big the darned thing is.

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 1

The give a view from the remidial side, the problem is eased a little in 1/48 with Special Hobby largely stepping into the breach.

Special Hobby do the Merlin engined aircraft, there is actually a BPF boxing of the Seafire III which has markings for both an Indefatigable and an Implacable based Seafire.  SH also do the Firefly I with BFP markings.  There is also a Seafire XV from the same manufacturer if you want to model the Light Carrier based aircraft based in Sydney.

As you say Tamiya also F4U-1A for a Corsair II - cut and file for clipped wing tips and you can buy a conversion set (MCD?) for the cockpit interior and CO vents.  I think the Corsair IV was basically a Goodyear built F4U-1D but stand to be corrected on that one. 

Eduards Hellcat I & II Dual boxing (If you can get it) is superb dont look past this one.

Not sure on the Wildcat V - Does the FM2 fit the bill?  I think Hobby Boss do an FM2 that can be used the FM1 being useful as the base for a Martlet IV. 

As for the Bombers - I think there is the same issue with the Avenger in 1/48 as in 1/72 i.e. it is not the FAA version but I do think SH does a Baracuda.  Last but not least Airfix Walrus (I think there were 3 assigned to Victorious)

Earlier in the Indian Ocean, Fulmar and Albacore -Special Hobby, Swordfish - Tamiya, Sea Hurricane I - Airfix, Skua II - Special Hobby (though only the pre war boxing seems to be available), Cyclone Powered Martlet IV - Hobby Boss (Not sure about this one).  Sea Gladiator II - Roden.  Not sure about Sea Hurricane IIc - Think I might get a IIc and see if I can fit the spare lower fuselage from the Airfix Hurricane I...

Hope this helps..

Edited by Grey Beema

6 hours ago, Phantome said:

Thankfully we have the good Eduard Hellcat and Tamiya Corsairs, the latter which would only require cropping and sanding the wings. Nothing too complicated. It is unfortunate that the most widely used BPF Corsair is the Mk. II (F4U-1A) which is from the slightly more expensive boxing vs the slightly cheaper -1D (Mk. III but not used in combat). The recent and cheaper Revell F4U-1A is actually highly inaccurate as it more closely depicts a -1D. The Academy Helldiver is also excellent and a good price given how big the darned thing is.

A few tweaks:

• the British did not differentiate between the F4U-1A and the F4U-1D.  The Mk.II was an F4U-1A/D built by Vought, the Mk.III the same built by Brewster and the Mk.IV the same built by Goodyear.  Agree though that the more expensive and rarer F4U-1A kit is the best option for Mk.IIs, Mk.IIIs and early Mk.IVs (earlier prop, Brewster bomb-rack and (can't remember for sure here) a central drop tank of the pattern used extensively by FAA Corsairs).  The -1D is best for later Mk.IVs (wider prop, bomb pylons - though the twin droptanks and HVAR rockets will not be required).  Agree that the Revell "F4U-1A" is a big disappointment.  The Academy Corsair is to my mind tolerable but trails in the wake of the superlative Tamiya kit.
  • depicting a front-line Corsair will normally (Never say, "Never"!) require addition of small intakes to the fuselage sides and a large outlet to the fuselage underside.  The Fundekal transfer sheet instructions, available on line and a work of reference in themselves, show what's needed.
  • a few Corsair IIIs did sneak through to the front line: Fundekals provide transfers for one in the BPF.
  • the FAA did not deploy the Helldiver in the Far East.  Only one FAA Helldiver squadron was formed (in the UK) and disbanded before undertaking any operations.
30 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Not sure on the Wildcat V - Does the FM2 fit the bill?  I think Hobby Boss do an FM2 that can be used the FM1 being useful as the base for a Martlet IV. 

The FM-2 would be fine for a Wildcat VI of which one squadron reached the Indian Ocean.  I try not to clutter my mind with the Dark Side and so am unsighted on the Hobbyboss kit but I would expect any F4F-4 kit to be a good basis for a Wildcat V (FM-1): several squadrons operated these in the Indian Ocean but none AFAIK in the Pacific.

• Like 5

On 15/01/2018 at 9:46 AM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Hi Chaps,

My two penn'orth. 

I had the Hasegawa FAA Avenger boxing.  Unfortunately, the 'bulged' observer's windows are like pimples rather than the correct bulged shape as in the FROG.  Consequently, apart from the fact that the Hase is a pretty nice kit, it doesn't get you closer to an FAA machine than anything else on the market.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Hi Chaps,

My two penn'orth. 

I had the Hasegawa FAA Avenger boxing.  Unfortunately, the 'bulged' observer's windows are like pimples rather than the correct bulged shape as in the FROG.  Consequently, apart from the fact that the Hase is a pretty nice kit, it doesn't get you closer to an FAA machine than anything else on the market.

Regards

Martin

Yes I noticed that too - I have some vac-formed astrodomes from I think the Squadron B-29 canopy set which look to be about the right size to double as Avenger bulged wondows.

Pat

• Like 1

I think that the Revell re-box of the Matchbox Walrus comes with BPF transfer (I'm visiting the loft later so I'll check) also, there's a Xrtadecals 'Yanks with roundels' sheets have BPF planes.

This one: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72142 (edited as I didn't read your initial post thoroughly.)

Edit: been up in the loft and dug a Revell Walrus out of its hiding place. I can confirm that it has a BFP option, an aircraft based on HMS Victorious.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1