This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi John, just noticed this! Looking like your customary quality and level of detail going on! Pulling up a chair....

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Hi John, just noticed this! Looking like your customary quality and level of detail going on! Pulling up a chair....

:popcorn:

Evening Clive, and thanks. I hope to get this moving again soon.

John.

Hi John brilliant detail on your Sherman as always :like:

Regards

Richard

Posted (edited)

Don't know how I've missed this blog either.  Comfy chair and footstool also pulled up.  I've got a stack of assorted Shermans and AM parts and Tom Gannon's book with a view to doing some cross-kitting as well as the M1/M50/M51 "usual suspects".  An HVSS Super is certainly on the list, along with a couple of VVSS M50s (M4A4T, M4 Hybrid), a radial M51, a rarer welded M51 and maybe something else with the leftovers.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery I will be taking copious notes.  I like your approach to detailing.  But I can't do work that good with 2 good (if ageing!) eyes..............! Respect.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition

15 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi John brilliant detail on your Sherman as always :like:

Regards

Richard

Many thanks Richard. Appreciate it.

John.

14 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Don't know how I've missed this blog either.  Comfy chair and footstool also pulled up.  I've got a stack of assorted Shermans and AM parts and Tom Gannon's book with a view to doing some cross-kitting as well as the M1/M50/M51 "usual suspects".  An HVSS Super is certainly on the list, along with a couple of VVSS M50s (M4A4T, M4 Hybrid), a radial M51, a rarer welded M51 and maybe something else with the leftovers.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery I will be taking copious notes.  I like your approach to detailing.  But I can't do work that good with 2 good (if ageing!) eyes..............! Respect.

Thanks a lot. I'm working mainly from Dr. Robert Manasherob's book on the Super Sherman. I bought a set of Bison decals for the build, but I may change my mind as to which tank I want to depict as there is a photo, profile and drawing of one mounting a large French searchlight on the turret. It's the only one that I've seen, but it would mean cobbling together the markings.

John. 

So (too!) many choices and possibilities!  Leaving aside unique unit and vehicle-specific markings, there are a couple of generic markings and stencils out there (DN Models, Echelon, Steel Scorpion, Verlinden) and as you say cross-kitting of marking sets certainly looks feasible as there was much consistency and commonality in markings..  IIRC that searchlight may have been the same type as used on the AMX-13.

I looked at the Manasherob books but the complete set - if you can find them all - was going to be soooo expensive.  So I ended up getting the 2nd edition Gannon and a softback Son Of Sherman for less money.  The latter of limited use for IDF but has much wider use.  It does however give a wealth of detail on the underlying configurations of the parts used by IDF.

I've got about half a dozen of the good Doctor's books, and very useful they are, but I only buy whatever's specific to what I want to build. The majority of the walkaround photos in the Super Sherman book are of French museum specimens, but apart from a few additional items added by the Israelis, the photos are ok for building an IDF version.

John.

I haven't got a clue how do I missed this. Super detail John, will follow now. 

12 hours ago, Kris B said:

I haven't got a clue how do I missed this. Super detail John, will follow now. 

You're very welcome Kris, and many thanks.

John.

Nice work on this one... Love all the details you are adding.

57fca721-a00b-44d2-8562-69701f3ab9bf.JPG

will you also add some brackets to hold the large crowbar and axle on their place, a bit like the pickaxe is mounted? Only a belt won't do it...

18 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice work on this one... Love all the details you are adding.

57fca721-a00b-44d2-8562-69701f3ab9bf.JPG

will you also add some brackets to hold the large crowbar and axle on their place, a bit like the pickaxe is mounted? Only a belt won't do it...

Thank you very much for the comments. If you look, you'll see that the crowbar is housed within two brackets each end as per the real thing. The pick axe handle has actually got a bracket on the left end, but due to the fact that it hasn't been painted yet, it doesn't show up.

John.

sorry, had mistaken the square ends as ends of the bar. My grandfather was a crane machinist, and some of these heavy tools are still in my fathers inventory, and the large crowbar there also had these square ends