Lockheed Model 10 'Electra' ++ Finished ++

20 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've also added a couple of landing lights to the nose.  These are very prominent on the original, but missing on the kit.  I haven't yet decided how to finish them off (possibly I should have thought about this before taking drill to plastic :S!).

This is coming together really well Cliff. As for the lights maybe a couple of Little-Cars lenses fixed with some Krystal Klear would be another possible solution.

• Like 1

I haven't yet decided how to finish them off (possibly I should have thought about this before taking drill to plastic :S!

-- We share a common approach it seems, namely how do I get out of my latest good idea. The difference is though, that you do and produce a wonderful model at the end, whereas I muddle along as much as model!!

• Like 1

For the lights; you could heat stretch some clear plastic sprue. Cut a length and hold the cut end near a flame. The plastic melts back on itself forming a lens shape. I do this for nose lights on such as Gnats, Hawks, Harriers etcetera

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your positive comments and for the suggestions for landing lights :).

I guess the first thing I have to do is work out whether or not the lights were fitted under streamlined transparent covers.  It's hard to tell from period photos.  IIRC those on the DC-2 (as a contemporary example), were not streamlined....

Cheers

Cliff

10 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks John.  What's your take on what those photographs show?

To me, it looks as though there isn't a transparant cover in front of the lights - but I'm not 100% sure :huh:!

At the moment I'm tending towards a couple of 'Little Lenses', recessed into the nose, without covers.  There's plenty of time though to change my mind....

Cliff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks John.  What's your take on what those photographs show?

To me, it looks as though there isn't a transparant cover in front of the lights - but I'm not 100% sure :huh:!

Like you Cliff, I think that I would lean towards no transparent covers, but no doubt someone will come up with a photo that blows that theory out of the water. :)

Me for instance, I've found a better image of the nose on the Bata Lockheed that contradicts the above.  :undecided: :shrug:

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1717/24737022820_4764e07c13_b.jpg 

Edited by nimrod54
New Link
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks John and Martin :)

I thought I'd better post an update, otherwise I'll get a 'how's it going?' post from Black Knight!    (Only joking - I'm actually very appreciative of proactive hosts :thumbsup2:).

In fact, not much to report, just the masking off of the glazing.

P1100276.jpg

I've just remembered that I need to add some small vents to the cabin roof, then I'll mask the engines and get on with the primer.  I should have time today...

Cliff

• Like 10

Another update is due i think.

P1100278.jpg

Priming proved to be a rather laborious process, as I tried to get an invisible join between the vac-formed canopy and the fuselage.  It's still not perfect, but I'm losing interest and am worried that I'll to start making things worse, rather than better, with further fiddling.

The polished aluminium finish will obviously highlight any blemishes, but hopefully the decals etc. will be a distraction :winkgrin:

Next job is a gentle Micromesh, then on with a gloss back undercoat.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

Thanks Mark :)

Here's this season's latest 'look'.  Sprayed with two coats of well thinned Humbrol enamel, it's very difficult to photograph!

P1100284.jpg

There are a few imperfections, which I'm hoping will polish out when the paint is well cured.  Failing that, it may need a third coat.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12

I finally got round to putting some metal onto the Lockheed today. 

I started using Alclad Polished Aluminium, but it was giving me too deep a shine for 1/72.  Probably my fault, for putting too much on (as a wet coat), whereas the secret is to mist very fine coats on until you get the desired effect.  So what I've ended up using is an odd concoction of Polished and ordinary Alclad mixed.

P1100291.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll experiment with some contrasting panels - just like the real thing!

Cliff

• Like 9

I think that is a great look you've achieved Cliff, I'm loving this build  it certainly makes me want to add an Electra to the stash.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I think that is a great look you've achieved Cliff, I'm loving this build  it certainly makes me want to add an Electra to the stash.

Thanks Mark.  IMHO the Electra is the best looking of the Lockheed twins :)

So here it is again with selected areas over-sprayed with Alclad Chrome.

P1100293.jpg

The effect is very subtle (which is good :winkgrin:) - hopefully you can just make it out in the photo.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 11

Thank you Stix and zebra :)

I'm pleased to report that I managed to get this finished over Easter.  Just in time for inclusion in the IPMS Serbia display of Yugoslav airliners, that will be in Hangar 1 at Cosford on Sunday! :winkgrin:

P1100295.jpg

I'll post a few more photos in the Gallery, but in the meantime a 'thank you' to all who supported the build and of course to Black Knight, V-P and Enzo for making it happen.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Classy, very classy...I bet they serve very nice beverages on that flight, in little crystal glasses...

Thanks John.  I can recommend the slivovitz !

25 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Love it! A really excellent clean build.

Thanks Mark.  It's possibly too clean (especially in the harsh light of the photo booth), so I may add a wash around the elevators etc., and also behind the engine cowlings.  We shall see...

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Agreed for a bit more definition around details, but I think the aircraft is so attractive it doesn't need to be weathered much at all.

• Like 1