Lockheed Model 10 'Electra' ++ Finished ++

Fired with enthusiasm for my first GB of 2018, I will be building this.

Electra-box.jpg

The kit dates from 1998 and is nicely moulded with fine recessed panel lines.  I've built a couple of similar vintage SH kits, so I'm not expecting any nasty shocks.  There are a few resin parts for the engines and cockpit interior (I particularly like the IP with integral rudder pedals), plus a vac-form canopy.  The weak part of the kit is that the cabin windows are provided as individual panes - I predict tears before bedtime.

P1100206.jpg

The kit's decal options are inspired: there's a SCW machine (as per the box art), one from the Romanian AF and finally the NMF aircraft in which Amelia Earhart disappeared in 1937.

Despite these great choices, I'll will be building mine as YU-SAV, to add to my collection of Aeroput (a Yugoslav inter-war airline) aircraft.  I'll be using these Lift Here! decals.  Their artwork shows the aircraft pressed into military service, but strip away the camo and there's a sexy polished aluminium beauty waiting to be seen :wub:

Electra-decals0014.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 14

Thanks guys for your interest and support :).

Despite having four other builds that I want to complete by the end of the month, I really wanted to make a start on the Electra on this first day of the GB.

So here's where I've got to in the two hours since lunch....

P1100207.jpg

I needed to do a fair amount of fettling to get a good fit, but as the parts are fundamentally the right shape this was no big deal.

Interestingly, the cranked rear bulkead is moulded as a single flat piece with the instruction to bend it to shape (the first time, I think, that I've had to fold a plastic part).  Fortunately, grooves are moulded into the rear face to make folding easier.

Apart from what you can see, the kit provides no other detail for the passenger cabin, so I'll be looking to my spares box to provide some seats (10 required, I think).

Having got this out of my system, I'm putting the Electra back in the cupboard now for a couple of weeks so I'll see you all again in February.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The weakest part of my example was that the canopy has yellowed.  Did you find a replacement from somewhere or are you just lucky?

Hi Graham.  My canopy had yellowed too, so a few months ago I emailed Special Hobby and they kindly sent me two replacements FOC.  First class customer service :yes:

Looking forward to following this one - I have two of the kits in the stash.  :popcorn:

It's not a shake and bake, though, according to what I've seen on the 'net.  Not only the canopy fitting, but apparently the rear assemblage.

Philip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 12:35 PM, Prenton said:

Looking forward to following this one - I have two of the kits in the stash.  :popcorn:

It's not a shake and bake, though, according to what I've seen on the 'net.  Not only the canopy fitting, but apparently the rear assemblage.

Philip

Thanks for the warning Philip - forewarned is forearmed etc.....

With the 'time sensitive' models in my back-log now completed, I feel free to add another one to the queue - so I'm picking up this Electra again!

I thought I should get the worst over with first and tackle the vac-formed canopy.  Guess what?  It fits almost perfectly :D

P1100235.jpg

It's still going to need some care to get a seamless line through to the top of the fuselage, but things could have been much, much worse.

Next up I'm going to look at the injection moulded cabin windows.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

On 09/02/2018 at 7:45 AM, Grandboof said:

Another fine addition to your Yugoslav collection Will be watching 

Martin H

Thanks Martin and I'm glad that you like the Yugoslav subjects - there are plenty more in my stash!

Cliff

After reading of your woes with the yellowed canopy, I thought I should dig mine out & see if its canopy was OK, yes being the answer, happily. I was even more surprised to see the instructions showed a whole kit of passenger seats & the little baggy of resin bits was bulging with them. I'm wondering if yours (& Grahams) kit was an early one? Scalemates only lists the one year for this kit. In any case, I'll be watching this, I aim to eventually build mine in pre WW2 Union Airways colours as operated around New Zealand.

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

After reading of your woes with the yellowed canopy, I thought I should dig mine out & see if its canopy was OK, yes being the answer, happily. I was even more surprised to see the instructions showed a whole kit of passenger seats & the little baggy of resin bits was bulging with them. I'm wondering if yours (& Grahams) kit was an early one? Scalemates only lists the one year for this kit. In any case, I'll be watching this, I aim to eventually build mine in pre WW2 Union Airways colours as operated around New Zealand.

Steve.

Hi Steve.  Yes, mine was one of the early ones - I bought it new when it was first released.  There's no mention of passenger seats in my instructions :(.  One of the hazards I guess, of being an 'early adopter' (sorry, I thought I'd left the management speak behind when I retired!).  I'm glad to hear though that you have some.   I also have a Special Hobby Lockheed 12 in my stash which is similarly lacking (despite having seat supports moulded into the cabin floor).

Undaunted though, I've found some seats in my spares - conveniently painted a lovely shade a blue.  I'd obviously used them on a previous model - I'm guessing an MPM DC-2 which came to a sticky end.  I had to chop the tops of a few of them to make them fit.   Rather crudely done, but all looks fine when the fuselage is closed up.

P1100237.jpg

The cabin windows turned out just fine too.  Each one was a beautiful push fit.  I've run some liquid poly into the join, but to be honest friction would probably have sufficed on its own.  In the photo, you can see what appears to be some frosting around the perimeter of each window.  This is within the moulding itself (not my clumsy use use of solvent :winkgrin:), and is all but invisible in real life.  Overall, I'm really pleased with how the cabin windows turned out.

P1100236.jpg

Next up, I'll be dealing with the resin pieces which, as I've said before, are quite nice for standard kit parts.

P1100239.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

Today's progress...

P1100240.jpg

No horrors, although the tailplane looks a bit nose-down to me (nothing as bad as a Revell Junkers F.13 though - if you've ever built one!). 

Just a smear of filler required to level off some of the seams.

And here's a close-up of the cockpit.

P1100241.jpg

I'm looking forward now to getting those twin fins on B)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 7

Thank you for your kind words chaps :)

The L10 is looking a lot more complete now:

P1100245.jpg

In addition to the obvious bits, I've also added a flange at the top of the cockpit.  The roof area is not glazed, so I can use a nice blob of epoxy adhesive to securely fix the vacform canopy at this point.  Once that's well set, I'll seal around the remaining edges using thinned Kristal Klear.

I've also added a couple of landing lights to the nose.  These are very prominent on the original, but missing on the kit.  I haven't yet decided how to finish them off (possibly I should have thought about this before taking drill to plastic :S!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

14 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Very nice tidy build Cliff and the kit does justice to a very attractive aircraft. great stuff.

Thanks Mark.  You're right about the Electra being an attractive aircraft and for me that helps to maintain my interest.

The last Aeroput aircraft that I built was a Caudron Goeland - which IMHO was the complete opposite!  It's good to have it in the collection, but I couldn't get enthusiastic about the build.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Nice model of a nice aeroplane..  For your nose mounted landing light could you drill into the nose, add a shaft of clear sprue turned down to fit (mount in a drill chuck ant turn it with a file against it) then trim to length, sand and polish?

• Like 2