Gauntlet 3 Sq RAAF - what colours?

JWM

Hi 

There is a photo of Gauntlets of 3 Sq RAAF taken in Egipt

043192.JPG

It is interpreted in DW/DG over white/black or sky

Gauntlet%20K7843.jpg

However I have doubts. The photo is for me taken on ortochromatic film, since yellow in fuselage roundel is almost black (but it is there) and blue in roundels and fin flash are very light. This suggests me that also upper side colours which seems very dark are in fackt colours with a large yellow componenet - for example light/dark earth?

I found another RAAF Gauntlet (this time with 3 blade prop), taken fom front but interesting is that on bottom roundel is only on one wing:

P12424.016

Any comment or explanation on RAAF Gountlet colours in Africa will be welcome.

Regards

J-W

Yellow does not always appear black on ortho.  What does always appear black is red.  British Yellow is slightly orange and so can appear dark, but it does seem to depend either on the make of the film or a filter being used.  I have not seen any convincing film of Middle Stone appearing dark on ortho film in photos taken in the desert war.  However, Dark Green and Dark Earth always does, so the description of these Gauntlets as being DG/DE is convincing to me..

• Like 2

Is the the same scheme that the old Profile publication on the Gauntlet & more laterly the AZmodels kit showed in Light/Dark earth over Light Blue style camo, I use those colour terms loosely delibertaely as they might well have preceeded DE/MS/AB if indeed they ever were these shades. I note those are for 112 sqn machines but wonder if 3 sqn RAAF would have been different?

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

Mushroom Model Publications have a book on the Gauntlet coming out soon, so this may be of some help. Alternatively ask on Aussie Modeller site.

Thanks for this info. I would like to do only one Gauntlet and I am considering the Finish one or RAAF one. Dependent on many factors. Besides aesthetic preferences  the sure knowledge of scheme is one of them...

Cheers

J-W