A Cheat’s Way to a 1/72 Spitfire Vc ***COMPLETED!***

Just a quick update tonight.

I have given the upper wings a waft of primer to see how things look. 

39713876671_120558b7b4_b.jpg

I think it is fair to say that this is “work in progress”. Covering the wings with primer now gives me a better idea of the state of things. I think the port wing is the least worst of the two! As suspected the new gun hatch on that wing needs rescribing. 

Overall though, the result is encouraging. Another session to rescribe the new panel lines and to hide some of the old ones is in order.

More soon!

Trevor

• Like 3

It seems my modelling is mostly at weekends.

So, whilst waiting for BM@10 groupbuild to start, I am back on this one. I have also found my P Cutter which has helped a lot.

I have mostly been tidying up the wings and at present here are the uppers

39764964032_f64d1f2b2e_b.jpg

and I have also started on the underwing too, courtesy of the drawings by Vasco Babic

38897917635_f26a207925_b.jpg

Don't know about you, but I always find it a bit confusing when rescribing and lose my track as to what I need to keep and what is new. It will all become much clearer when I blow some more primer over it.

Now to cover up the surplus holes in the leading edge and to attach the wing to the fuselage.

More soon!

Trevor

• Like 5

Thanks Beard......so am I!

I am now turning my attention to markings. I picked this book up last year in a rather good bargain book shop in Llandudno.

38898542465_5240881698_b.jpg

Inside I think I may have found my subject here.

There is a photo of EE721 DU*E in service with 312 Squadron. There is a view from above/behind which shows it to have fishtail exhausts (I have robbed my Hurricane spares box), original unmodified tailplane, no stub/plug outboard of the cannon fairing and perhaps most interesting of all, spanwise upper wing wing reinforcement over the wheel well but only on the port wing! Although not shown in the photo, it is also described as being clipped wing too.

Off to raid the transfers stash!

Trevor 

• Like 5

@Graham Boak I was struggling for the correct name - thanks!

This is the port wing from the IWM Ia.

39039116594_e03d9d7e87_b.jpg

For comparison, here is the Airfix Vc I started and abandoned *cough-rubbish*! Marvel at the balloon-like qualities of that wing.....

25926475098_1455da5ef8_b.jpg

39767183042_d9ebcc4a55_b.jpg

39089014644_5f0a67d995_b.jpg

It does however serve as a useful 3D template for the wings. I see a couple of teardrop shaped blisters that need adding. I will check from the AZ sprues if there is anything there. If not, I will use PVA glue and a pin.

The next thing to think of is the canopy. The kit one with the external armour is not appropriate so spares box here we come.

This is the one from Italeri

39767180762_78968fe3a9_b.jpg

39767182912_95b4cc1aaf_b.jpg

A lot of work would be needed there......

This is the canopy from the horrid Airfix Vc

39767181092_173f628171_b.jpg

Thick and optically distorted, to me the windscreen rake is also far too shallow.

Next, I think this is the closed canopy option from the Academy XIV

38900121275_77c6a2e0e6_b.jpg

39767181632_4b04eacc86_b.jpg

25926473588_70d2563e15_b.jpg

The canopy is a better fit (worryingly?). For those who are unaware, the Academy XIV whilst looking good (and is an easy build) has a bloated midriff problem. Here is my XIV on the right with  the Airfix XIX on the left for comparison.

27884841699_d816b96213_b.jpg

I am minded to use the windscreen off this purely for fit purposes and to use the Italeri canopy in the open position and rear segment. Any opinions?

Next is the oil cooler. I have one from an Airfix Vb scrapper. If you compare this to the one offered by Italeri, this looks to be less chunky and more to scale.

39767182622_d920346aff_b.jpg

Since taking this photo, the recess in the kit wing has been slathered with Green Stuff. This will be smoothed over and the cooler stuck down with superglue.

I may do some sanding later, otherwise no more modelling today.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I am minded to use the windscreen off this purely for fit purposes and to use the Italeri canopy in the open position and re

What about sanding the external armoured glass off the kits canopy and the polishing? 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s that simple. The windscreen was more raked forward and the side panels wider as a result. 

External armour

Spitfire_Mk_VB_BM590_AV-R_Olga_of_No._12

Internet photo

Internal armour 

Canopy_Spitfire.JPG

Wikipedia photo

.......or is it just me?

EDIT

Here is a diagram from Hyperscale

http://www.hyperscale.com/images/kpm0056reviewmd_canopies.jpg

Still a bit unsure......

Trevor

• Like 2

I’m tying myself in knots here about the side panel in the windscreen, but I think these side views in the Aeroguide I linked on the first page have nailed it.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aeroguide/Classics-01-Supermarine/Classics-1-Supermarine-Spitfire-34-960

They are different, so it’s either the Academy one sanded flat on the sides, or I’m looking at some surgery on the Italeri one......

Trevor

• Like 3

On 1/21/2018 at 3:56 AM, Max Headroom said:

I’m tying myself in knots here about the side panel in the windscreen... They are different.

Yes, the original had curved sides, the newer version was all flat panes (except that little bit across the top).  It was even a trifle taller, requiring a different hood, though that may not be evident on a model (with the hood slid back).  I believe that it [Edit: the chosen subject, I mean] also has (in the shot I just found online) a balloon hood, with bulging sides.  This was introduced shortly after the Mk.IX started, which is before your subject was built.  (The earlier hood had the domed top, of course, but more-or-less flat sides.)

bob

p.s. Yes, those photos of the Airfix Vc remind me of why I sold it on, despite being a hoarder of all things Spitfire.  Not exactly their finest hour...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Thanks 2

Another update.

As you see above the windscreen fitting is a bit haphazard. After thinking about it, I decided to not to go with the Academy item. I know it’s too wide and although an easy cop-out, it would annoy me every time I looked at it. So that leaves me with the Italeri one. Advantages are that it’s the right size and it’s nice and thin so I can show the canopy open, an option not offered by Airfix. However it doesn’t fit. The problem lies with the base of the windscreen opening which is curved to match the transparency. So, out with the micro strip and a bit of deft slicing. Glue the mating surface on the kit and place the sliver of plastic carefully using tweezers. (I bought a set from Hobbycraft for not much recently and they are a lifesaver!).

39105722684_998f593490_b.jpg

This is the result.

25943103408_b48e867f5b_b.jpg

25943103518_7c0970d1ef_b.jpg

25943103408_b48e867f5b_b.jpg

And then blended in with Greenstuff. You can also see I’ve redrilled the new position for the .303 aperture. I haven’t done the 20mm cannon hole yet.

38916763085_b0e0dfa272_b.jpg

Next thing to do was to retry the canopy. I temporarily fixed it with RevellContacta Clear.

It still doesn’t fit

39105722404_4f09f76bd5_b.jpg

28036995719_0fc1f95797_b.jpg

But that’s ok because I aim to blend in the bottom of the canopy with thin plastic card in a way similar to the 1:1 version like this, (that could be an VIII judging by the kill markings.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8a/39/15/8a39154f87d6fc70988a23a52ceea646--war-memorials-cockpit.jpg

That’s all for now. I’m off to start my Meteor PR.10.

Trevor

• Like 3

On 1/13/2018 at 12:43 PM, Max Headroom said:

A couple more photos

27888733329_1dba8e17f6_b.jpg

Trevor

Like to know what book those drawing are in or if l can get a set?

Hacker

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

@hacker

You’re in luck, the drawings have been posted here before.

See post #6

Trevor

Nice saved us the trouble and written info to boot .READING MATERIAL WOOO WHOOO! :yahoo:. There was a link to Hyperscale that had interesting picture as well. Now l need to get that decal in 48th l need so l can scan it,enlarge it, and print it out.

Hacker.......info scrounger 

• Haha 1

It’s the weekend and the weather isn’t particularly good, so it’s back to the Spitfire  and some more ‘whittling silly little bits of plastic’ (c) Mrs Headroom.

To ease myself into things again, I decided to do the wing stiffeners, but only on the port wing, as the photographic evidence shows. For this I used a strip of Slaters Rod sliced in half lengthways. Not as difficult as it sounds, you place a steel ruler over the length of strip and expose the width you want. Place the blade on the strip and press down and it should slice easily. To avoid the slice pinging, I cover the top of the blade with a finger and press it down. Nice neat slice and the carpet monster doesn’t get fed.

39030055655_3cf9345e5d_b.jpg

Using tweezers I was able to place the slice edgeways onto the surface of the wing and then run Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

Repeat once more and

28148344269_41b4665e32_b.jpg

I can trim them to the same length later.

Next I turned my attention to the cannon fairings. Squinting at photos and the various drawings, it became clear that the inboard position for the cannon was literally just outboard of the hole I’d filled in for the innermost Browning when converting this from an A to a C wing. To stop the bit from slipping I first reamed out a small dent with the tip of my scalpel.

39218067014_ca674c3828_b.jpg

I had a pair of Italeri cannon fairings pencilled in for the job. 

39030107895_162bbb4274_b.jpg

First thing to do was remove the knobbly bit from the end. As you can see the port wing was more successful than the starboard.

39218073654_94d6edafdd_b.jpg

Also visible in this view is the canopy affixed with Revell’s Contacta Clear. From previous photos you will have noted that it fits where it touches. However as I’ve posted before, there are fillets underneath the windscreen sides to blend it in. My plan was to use Slaters Rod. Unfortunately it’s a tad too thick and I really don’t want to be sanding that close to the canopy - swarf and dust could be a problem. My solution was to use a slice of Slaters Rod as a template to cut out a thinner piece, in my case clear plastic sheet.

39895988102_0a82ba362b_b.jpg

39928689381_ba34d76bb7_b.jpg

Before I did the windscreen I chopped off the wing tips.

25057123437_bef9d6e074_b.jpg

I now have a ‘clipped, cropped and clapped’ low altitude Vc!

Next on the list was the legs. As has been pointed out, the doors are dished to compensate for them sitting lower in the wing when retracted.

Attack with Greenstuff 

39895877522_370dced5b3_b.jpg

and scrape away. The idea is to leave the centre higher than the edges. By feathering the putty and scraping the edges of the fairing thinner this will hopefully (and from a distance) give the impression of a domed fairing.

25057151087_a5d9b53f4e_b.jpg

Now to stick ‘em on me Spitfire.

39030167415_ced4f8bd52_b.jpg

26055933078_6ef4f804ba_b.jpg

Blimey! I’ve got me a Spitfire Vc  :yahoo:

Of course at the moment the legs are positioned as for a I/II/Va/Vb. I’ll let them set overnight and will then bend them forward gently. By the way the short shot leg with the malformed locating lug was no bother.

I think I deserve a little celebration!

28148887909_6070b3a499_b.jpg

Cheers :drink:

Trevor

• Like 7

Thanks guys!

Second shift of the weekend begins with me masking the cockpit ready for the rattlecan.

39233166264_23271eeb26_b.jpg

Ive been having a look at my windscreen work and I’m not convinced it’s worked as well as I hoped.

Let’s see.......

Trevor

• Like 1

And this is the result.

39944371501_e3b8827a8c_b.jpg

Not bad.

39912317142_f103a58706_b.jpg

Ok I suppose, although there is some seam work that needs attention.

Lets see the other side 

28164875849_fc2298b0c1_b.jpg

Errrrr no, I don’t think so..........

So the canopy will need to come off and Plan B * considered.

I’ll have a ponder 🤔 

Trevor

* dunno yet.

• Like 2

Right then, I’ve done a sit rep.

The rough texture is excess Contacta Clear, so a bit of scraping gets me back to this

26072855408_b888928084_b.jpg

39047006325_6d159648b8_b.jpg

Some remedial work needed on that side windscreen panel though! 

Watch this space.

Trevor

EDIT - my plan now is to gently remove the canopy but leaving the fairings in place and then to clean it up before re attaching.

• Like 3

A small update in case you thought I’d wandered off!

I have no idea what Contacta Clear is made of, but it sets rock solid. In order to tidy up the windscreen I decided not to prise it off and so left it in situ. Micromesh was deployed in a delicate operation and the result whilst not a crystal clear canopy is now sufficiently smooth that a wipe with gloss varnish will probably finish off the process.

The other job I attended to was fixing the underside. Some of the ‘A’ wing panel lines were still showing through, so more filler and sanding back was required. Another mist of primer showed that the problem was fixed.

No photos for now as there’s not much to see. 

Next I’ll be sorting out the camouflage. I have an idea to photocopy the 1/72 drawing from the Aeroguide and cut out a template for the camouflage.

More soon.

Trevor

• Like 3