Very rare bird

huvut76g7gbbui7

One of the Revell kits that I coveted when I were a lad- and one of the few such that I didn't eventually manage to buy!  I still have a special place for it in my "unlikely flying machine" rankings- there are sexy helicopters and then there are the ones that show that they will stoop to any measure to get themselves up off the ground.

• Haha 1

It's a noisy beast in the hover!

Almost sounds like a sci fi special effect.

I recently unearthed one I'd built in the early seventies.

I think it's mostly complete and I have to decide it's fate.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 8:32 AM, The Cameraman said:

Hi Guys n Gals,

could anyone please confirm if this beast is still in Scotland as, if it is, I need to head Northwards ASAP?

Cameraman,

I checked this afternoon : Friday 16th January, 1515hrs . She is still there.Looks like she has flown recently, though blade socks and engine covers were on. Site evidently closed up for the day.

I don't know what Jamie was basing his information on; possibly planned timings or proposed shipping bokings?

Given that the weather over the weekend here is scheduled to include some fairly hefty gusts, I doubt that much lifting & positioning can be done this weekend. I t will be wet at times as well as windy. Hope that helps you.  I can check again for presence & activity on Monday , mid-morning, as I drive down to Aberdeen. Will post up some static photos later, if I figure out how to do that here.

Cheers,

John B

LinvVF4.jpg

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 1

That is what I heard too, Des. Not Erickson, maybe not Balfour Beattie either. It was described to me as due to a 'design error', which could cover a range of sins! 

A phrase which used to cause cold shivers down my spine, when I was in project engineering. (Ooops - was it my oversight?...) 

tenp3SS.jpg

Edited by John B (Sc)

Yes it didn't go afterall and was lifting pylons today. My father went to have a poke around the helicopter today and has sent me a few closeups of the unusual features of this beasty - like the externally routed tubing for instance.

I'll post them if anyone is interested :)

There is talk of it doing more work later on. It seems to be proving cheaper to install pylons this way than to get mobile cranes to the relatively remote locations and establish a solid operating platform to work from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There is talk of it doing more work later on. It seems to be proving cheaper to install pylons this way than to get mobile cranes to the relatively remote locations and establish a solid operating platform to work from.

First build your access road , then a solid enough foundation at each pylon location to support the crane and the time taken to assemble it from sections on site on site and I can imagine that the costs of importing the Aircrane start to become attractive.     I read somewhere , whether it was about this particular job or not I am not sure , but apparently from hooking the pylon up at the assembly area to having the pylon in place can take as little as ten minutes for each one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'll post them if anyone is interested

or add to the walkaround?

I'm glad that the info I was given on her departure was wrong as it will give others the chance to see her in all her glory.

• Like 1

b2yD95U.jpg

The Skycrane was flying yesterday installing fibreglass pylons. This may well be its last day here., since the field is now all but empty. Just a couple more.

I got a few photos, one shown here.

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 2/4/2018 at 20:11, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'll post them if anyone is interested :)

Please post some more pictures. I'd love to see her in action, but just a bit too far away for me.

qQfGqcO.jpg

YOLs2XY.jpg

CAdvZld.jpg

Hope those help, Smudge.   Checked today as I went past nearby : all gone. I wonder if she is back at Montrose, being prepared for shipping - now that I'd like to see. How do they break her down, and how much? How is she protected for a sea voyage?

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

If it is still at the same site then take the A96 towards Aberdeen.

Just after Keith take the B9115 and it's about a mile on the left.

I think Des might be lucky, A frrend said he passed it this morning, at the same site. Fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all , was up this morning , found it very easily and got some photos.     The job is now complete and it is hoped to fly it down to Montrose some time on Monday depending on conditions (and as it happens I will be 100 miles south on family business until light has failed for the day) , dismantling will start immediately and it should be away as hold cargo within a week.     The engineering crew did expect a lot of interest and seemed happy with the level shown and hope that the success of the project might lead to future visits to the UK.

• Like 1

Further to my post on Saturday although I was away from home today I received a telephone call from friends here in Montrose around 1230 to tell me that the Air-Crane had landed safely at Montrose Docks which brings what is thought to be this first S-64 visit to an end.     

The crew I spoke to on Saturday had said that some visitors to the site at Keith had mentioned the visit of a German based US Army CH-54 to the Army Air Day at Middle Wallop in 1975 as possibly being the only other CH-54/S-64 to have visited the UK, does anyone know of any others?

Edited by Des