HP Victor airframe histories

Magua87

Morning, all. 

I've picked up the Airfix Victor and I'm interested in building airframe XL189. I'm interested to hear know more about this and other airframes (some of the other camouflaged examples). I imagine XL189 probably didn't start life in the training wing and I believe this aircraft went on to be a tanker, participanting in the Falklands conflict.

Is there a resource out there which captures the history of each or some of the Victor force by airframe? I like to know a bit about the aircraft I have in my display case where I can. 

I'd suggest contacting the RAF Museum: they'll supply aircraft history cards: if you're a bit more obsessive then a visit is always worth doing.

I think the Thunder & Lightnings website used to do potted histories but not sure if they covered the Victor.

Ah - just checked: only Victor survivors but still take a look:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/victor/history.php

• Like 2

Yes I did recall correctly. There is a whole page on XL189 from first flight on 17 Oct 1968 through Falklands service to static display, offer for sale and sadly scrapping plus a photo.  Same for all the Victor airframes.  Let me know what aircraft you are interested in as well as XL189

Pm me with your email and I'll send on full details.

• Like 1

What you need @Magua87 is the HP Victor Aerofax book. 

Oh look, here’s a free online version care of our good friends at the Boxart Den! 

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aerofax/Aerofax/Handkey-Page-Victor

There’s plenty of other reference material on this site as well, so take a browse and enjoy what you find. Strangely, the complete set of Detail and Scale books have been removed, which is a real shame. I'm sure you’ll find what you want (and more) in here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1