Hi chaps. 

Last year, about November, I was ejected from my modeling area when we purchased a new kitchen table. My stuff was packed up and put into storage. About the same time my mojo took a big hit. 

Now I've finally managed to get myself sorted with a new area to work in I'm starting a new build. Hopefully this will get my mojo working and I can get back to working on some of my stalled builds. 

So, I've picked this kit out my stash, and I intend to see it through to the end. 

DSC_0173

Shouldn't take too long as there's not too many parts. 

Sprue shots to follow. 

Thanks for looking. 

Matt 

• Like 4

Welcome aboard. 

There's certainly room for improvement, as the kit is very basic..... 

DSC_0197

No interior at all, just a seat, that hangs over an open void on a little pin. 

Talking of the seat, this is what you get.... 

DSC_0191DSC_0192

Also there is a pilot figure, if you can call it that. He looks like he's in a cocoon, or a sleeping bag... 

DSC_0194DSC_0193

Certainly room for improvement 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard hairystick, the more the merrier. Refreshments will be served periodically. 

Time for some sprue shots. 

DSC_0174

Main fuselage halves. Not badly molded got some nice raised surface details and rivets. 

DSC_0175DSC_0178

Really hard trying to get a good shot of them as it's white plastic. 

DSC_0179

One set of wing halves. The other side is the same, bar a hole in the wingtip pod for a pitot tube. 

DSC_0185

Nice  clear canopy. 

DSC_0186

contra props showing part of the mechanism that makes them work. 

DSC_0187DSC_0189

The last two sprue, with the rest of the parts attached. The landing gear, prop spinner, gears for the contra props. The other sprue is a tall boarding ladder, which I will probably not use. 

Now onto the biggest problem with this kit, baring the lack of detail, FLASH! It's everywhere. 

DSC_0180DSC_0181DSC_0182DSC_0183

This is supposed to be an open intake of sorts in the wing root. As you can see it is almost flashed shut. 

DSC_0184

That's what it should look like, now I've cleaned it up on the other wing. 

Nearly every kit part is infected with it. 

The tooling is really showing it's age, mind you as far as I can find out it does date back to the 50's.

• Like 4

Jeez... you could have picked something a little... easier as a comeback model.  I've got one of these with grand plans (ha!) to detail it and bring it up to modern standards one day, but boy is it a challenge.  I'm sure it was pretty good for 1956, but that's a long time ago now.  All those rivets! :unsure:

Good luck ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to see you here Mike. 

I picked it purely for the low parts count. It sure is lacking in detail, and will no doubt be lacking in rivets too, when I've finished sanding. I'm toying with the idea of creating a boxed in section for the Cockpit, got to see if I have any spare 48th scale ejection seats knocking around. 

There's a book on it that I picked up around the same time.  There's a fair amount of detail in there regarding the cockpit & so forth.  Might be worthwhile removing all the rivets, scribing the fuselage and reinstating any rivets either with a pounce-wheel, or with raised rivets from the Archer range of 3D decals if you're feeling rich ;)

....or you could just ignore me if you don't want to drive yourself :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

There's a book on it that I picked up around the same time.  There's a fair amount of detail in there regarding the cockpit & so forth.  Might be worthwhile removing all the rivets, scribing the fuselage and reinstating any rivets either with a pounce-wheel, or with raised rivets from the Archer range of 3D decals if you're feeling rich ;)

....or you could just ignore me if you don't want to drive yourself :mental:

Is this the book in question? 

https://www.bookdepository.com/Convair-Xfy-1-Pogo-Steve-Ginter/9780942612271

Thanks Mike, it will be ordered on payday. 

Currently toying with the idea of fitting the wings to the fuselage halves before I join them up. Any tho on this? Might make it easier to work on. 

Matt

Hello again. 

Made some progress and actually committed glue to plastic! 

Got the wings glued up.. 

DSC_0173DSC_0174DSC_0175DSC_0177

I've refined the shapes of the intakes a bit, but still need  a bit more work. 

DSC_0178

There are a couple of grooves they sit in, in the fuselage, and they look a bit big. 

DSC_0179DSC_0180

The wing sits in them rather nice, despite the age of the tooling it looks like it'll go together with little fuss or drama. 

DSC_0181

There is a slight gap below the wing, but it closes up when some pressure is applied. 

I'm going to blank the intakes off, just past the molded lump, to prevent a see through effect as there's nowt down there. 

Hope you like my work so far. 

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 2

Time for another update. 

Decided last night to take some bits of this kit to work. I have a fair amount of spare time at work when I'm on lates, so thought I would have a go. 

I'm going with attaching the wings to the fuselage, before closing it up, as I think it will work better this way. 

DSC_0182DSC_0185

Got both the wings glued up, with little drama. The fit is pretty good for such an old kit, and there was minimal gappage. 

DSC_0183

I don't know if you can make it out here, but I've blanked off the intakes a fair way down. 

DSC_0188DSC_0189

Got a beautiful fit on the underside of the wings, and the intakes butt up to the fuselage lovely. 

DSC_0186DSC_0187

The topside of the intakes is a different story. There is a gap all along the length. There is enough flex in the fuselage to allow the rear three quarters to be closed up, but some filler will be required at the front. 

I'm going to leave them a day or so, to ensure the glue is fully set, then I'll deal with the gaps. 

Hope you like it. As always any comments or criticism is more than welcome. 

Matt

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Decided last night to take some bits of this kit to work. I have a fair amount of spare time at work when I'm on lates, so thought I would have a go. 

DSC_0185

Matt

You have Jack Daniels at work!

I've been interested in building this kit since I discovered that the Pogo was kitted, fascinated to watch your build.

• Like 2

Just now, 71chally said:

I've been interested in building this kit since I discovered that the Pogo was kitted, fascinated to watch your build.

This is the trouble... use of the word "kitted" is an approximation at best :cwl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

You have Jack Daniels at work!

Wish I had some jd at work, but alas no. It's not a bad kit to build, despite it's age, just really basic. To be honest I might be tempted to tint the canopy, just to cover up this kit's biggest problem, a lack of interior detail. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

This is the trouble... use of the word "kitted" is an approximation at best :cwl:

Too right Mike, trouble is as far as I know, it's the only game in town in this scale. 

I believe there are some 72nd scale kits knocking around. 

Matt

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Too right Mike, trouble is as far as I know, it's the only game in town in this scale.

You are correct young man.  I hope to Beelzebub that someone rectifies that before I get the urge to build it :unsure:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Legendary Lindberg simplicity, I remember knocking the XF-91 together a few years back!

Still, remarkable for a 60+ year old product!

It is indeed, plus it has working contrary props and moving landing gear. If I could be bothered I could fit some springs round the extending legs and get them working properly. To be honest this  kit seems to be more of a play thing or toy, than a proper model. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

You are correct young man.  I hope to Beelzebub that someone rectifies that before I get the urge to build it :unsure:

Hey less of the young man, I'll have you know I'm 45 this year. Would be great to see a decent manufacturer, like tamiya or Hasegawa, have a go at it. See how well it turns out then. 

Matt

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Just noticed this on the box @Mike, @71chally..

DSC_0195

Do you think we could sue them under the trades description act? 

Highly detailed plastic parts, indeed! 

Detailed pilot figure! 

DSC_0193

Hmmmm I must be missing something if this is a detailed figure. 

Matt

Well Matt, the kit is more of my age....

At the time, I was also highly detailled !!:rofl2:

I'm gathering some parts in my resin stock to make mine... One day...

But I'm not sure that she's really at 1/48... more 1/50 I think !

I also started a lindberg classic, and still have some of these on my stash !

Aka the XF4D... with is Tamiya cousin... That will be fun too, but not mojo restoring at all:innocent:

Not many parts but when you start to add your own parts...

Things can get a little more complicated.

Good job on this one, Congrats !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1