If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Beardie

Why God? Why?

As a spin off from the X-files thread I thought I would start off another on a related subject.

Just recently I have been giving the concept of a 'Divine Being/Creator' a lot of thought trying to use logic on the subject. A few points struck me and I wonder what y'all think about it. I am interested in hearing from believers irrespective of faith and atheists as well. This is purely testing the theory of a logical creator.

1. Why would any God be interested in his creations choosing and sacrificing one of their number (his handiwork) for the purpose of requesting that He help them with their crops etc.

2. Why would any God require his creations to pray to and adore him.

3. Why would God help his creations if he wants them to prove themselves on their own, up to and including sending his only Son to set them on the right path.

4. Why would a rational God be interested in creating us in the first place.... What does he get out of it?

Personally my gut feeling is that, Yes there is a creator but He is not in the business of helping us in general and the whole purpose of our existence is an experiment where evolution is a key part and those that evolve to a high standard and learn the kind of things expected of them 'win'. Obviously, in such an experiment, tribalism, warfare and competition are all part of the coursework. At the same turn I don't believe that organised religion is 'Gods' work' as showing us the way doesn't teach us anything or allow that 'Creator' to assess our qualities and decide whether we go in the reject bin or not.

Of those questions I have listed the one that I really struggle to answer is number four. Just what would a Creator get out of us? I can't figure out, from a logical standpoint, the purpose of the experiment would be.

very interested to hear your thoughts so fire away although I would like to say that I don't want this to turn into an attack on organised religions or any religion it is merely and request for your thoughts on what a God might be interested in from His point of view rather than the 'standard model' where we, living beings, prostrate ourselves and pray in the hope that He will give what we want to us.

I was wondering whether this contravened the regulations or not Black Knight. If I am wrong and it does, I am happy for the moderators to kill it off immediately. I don't see that it should inflame anything as it is not about 'my religion is better than yours' but rather simply a question of what a 'theoretical, logical God' would actually get out of the human race. Just like asking what someone believes is behind the Alien phenomenon or how Bigfoot could hide in plain sight.

NOTE: Other deities are available :cwl:

Ah... just remembered.  This is religion.  We've not actually had much religion since we started - it's mostly politics and people not having any social skills that causes most of the trouble.  I'm going to have to close this down :shrug:

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I think you've just started a thread on a subject banned for discussion on BM

Yep - took me a minute to remember the rules though :blush: