Return to BM Spitfires Hurricane Revell etc 1/32 Modelling Binge

Right then after a week of being busy gigging and still recovering from a terrible chest infection I have been shopping for some supplies and now cant wait to start actually gluing this thing.

Finally got some Tamiya Extra Thin to try never used it but I hear only good things about it from so many on here and at shows. Tips for using this welcome.

Also picked up some Tamia 2MM tape. I havent seen this before but looks good.

Some random paints and cockpit green.

25981374038_dd11f59464_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I seem to be getting into 1/32 !

39822588282_816528a922_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Right then lets see if I can get some progress today then :)

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

:hmmm:

:o

Is this the fabled Robspitfire I see before me?

Welcome back you beggar

really Spitsfires?

Oh well, we HAD a Vulcan didnt we

Rock on Rob

Hahaha. Thanks for the welcome back mate can't believe how long its been,. Yep Spitfires I actually a love of mine and yes we have had a few Vuclans aint we. There will be more and still plenty that need finishing.

Thought this would be nice to warm up on and at last progress.

Finally the smell of glue the satisfying cutting and sanding of plastic.. Ahhh this is heaven. I am excited :)

39147524364_9d94ca3fb4_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Cheers Rob  :)

• Like 6

Don't get carried away Rob, 'sonly a Spitthingy after all

Ducks

Runs rapidly away

Keeps running

Away

:yikes:

• Haha 2

You might find this Spitfire Production link interesting Rob, it shows P7434 entering service with 19 Squadron on 26-9-40 and passing through several other Sqdn's before being 'Struck Off Charge' in June '45. I know that it doesn't help with your A or B camo scheme, but it is a nice reference file that shows the history of specific airframes.

19 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you back Rob, I've been wondering where you were. I'm always up for a Spitfire build especially in 1/32, so I'll tag along also if I may

John

Hey John great to be back and hear from you and everyone here. I have missed it. Sure please pull up a chair your most welcome :)

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't get carried away Rob, 'sonly a Spitthingy after all

Ducks

Runs rapidly away

Keeps running

Away

:yikes:

Aye lol I love the Spit too. I hope not to get too carried away at all just a fun build oob. but who knows I might try sort the prop out if i can get a better dehaviland style one or mod this myself somehow. not sure I can see whats up with it yet,. the props look a bit fat at the tips and maybe the nose is a little short. Not sure.

as long as it looks like a spitthingy on the shelf ill be happy :)

(hows the run going)

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

You might find this Spitfire Production link interesting Rob, it shows P7434 entering service with 19 Squadron on 26-9-40 and passing through several other Sqdn's before being 'Struck Off Charge' in June '45. I know that it doesn't help with your A or B camo scheme, but it is a nice reference file that shows the history of specific airframes.

Thanks very much for that mate. Interesting read indeed. :)

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

The A or B scheme has been discussed on here quite a bit, here are two threads on the subject.

Cheers

Dennis

Many thanks Dennis I will have a good read through that.

Cheers Rob :)

This is my progress so far.

39841225932_f953c0cf35_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

28093653269_d77e67eadf_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 24/01/2018 at 15:12, perdu said:

Ouch

I done me back in din't I

Time for a hot Radoxy soaky bath

I'll pop back to see how it's a'doing later Rob

Looks kinda good so far

Cheers mate and hope the back gets better after the run haha.

Well a little more progress not without confusion. I cant understand why they molded the tail wings so you have to custom cut them to fit. Whyyyy..

28113033309_a84d2b2a92_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25022055637_ab8aba58d6_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Am I missing the point or does this make no sense. Is this part used in other kits or something.

25022068947_4bc151974f_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

• Like 3

Ahhhhh I think I what they done with the tail wings. its a common part from their Mk 9 kit (Didn't see that coming) Guess its a cost saving design.

Clever but annoying .

:)

1 hour ago, robvulcan said:

Ahhhhh I think I what they done with the tail wings. its a common part from their Mk 9 kit (Didn't see that coming) Guess its a cost saving design.

Clever but annoying .

:)

Welcome back Rob.  You're right.  It gives you a way of doing early or late elevator horn balances on the IX kit.  In that regard however the IX kit falls between stools as only the Aero Vee filter is supplied and the narrow blister cannon access panels are moulded integrally with the wing upper surface.  That said I have that kit and I like it a lot as a good, solid and relatively cheap kit of a late IX.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Welcome back Rob.  You're right.  It gives you a way of doing early or late elevator horn balances on the IX kit.  In that regard however the IX kit falls between stools as only the Aero Vee filter is supplied and the narrow blister cannon access panels are moulded integrally with the wing upper surface.  That said I have that kit and I like it a lot as a good, solid and relatively cheap kit of a late IX.

Hey thanks for that and I only just noticed they have done a mk9 might have ago one day. Though with this the mk vb and mk22 soon space might be an issue.

cheers Rob :)

Can I ask if there is anyone else out there who has found the fit of the fuselage and wings to be appauling as mine seems terrible.

Wondering if this thing has been warped.

photos soon but thought id ask, Worrying if have screwed this one.

15 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Can I ask if there is anyone else out there who has found the fit of the fuselage and wings to be appauling as mine seems terrible.

Wondering if this thing has been warped.

photos soon but thought id ask, Worrying if have screwed this one.

Built one of those last year and do not remember any problems with fit of the wings to the fuselage, if I remember correctly I just used a touch of Mr Surfacer on the joints.

Here's the build,

szl8Wr.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Built one of those last year and do not remember any problems with fit of the wings to the fuselage, if I remember correctly I just used a touch of Mr Surfacer on the joints.

Here's the build,

szl8Wr.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Many Thanks Dennis. The problem was partially me test fiting the fuselage without the cockpit area fitted. I just tried again with the cockpit parts fitted and it now fits seeming t push out the lower fuselage halves to mate to the wings. However mine still seems a little warped but I think I will be able to progress. Cheers Dennis :)

39008794295_a4b796e34e_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

A bit more progress yesterday I sprayed the insides with Humbrol 64 from a rattle can so now I can get to work with the hairy stick on the insides.

39008813165_168a3c2eef_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39874949932_af29d2e4e5_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

• Like 4

well time for paint. I know this is not the right colour. I mistakenly used it on my last one and it looked alright applying it thinly over the grey with about 2 light brushed coats and a citadel wash over it so I am doing the same so they match. hopefully this will give some tonal variation in there.

39032470455_9c69ed7283_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26058230558_0a1a2ff4ef_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39220277714_b4cc92a333_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Hi Rob, just came across your thread - welcome back!! Funnily enough I noticed a post from you in a thread a couple of weeks back & wondered where you were! Funny looking Vulcan you're building though, only one engine & no delta wing...?! :shrug::D

Great start so far! I've one of these on the good old 'shelf of doom' - started it ages ago, decided I really didn't like all the 'rivets' plastered all over it so decided to fill them all in! Days & days of filling & sanding later I'd lost the will to live...!! :lol:

Keith

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hi Rob, just came across your thread - welcome back!! Funnily enough I noticed a post from you in a thread a couple of weeks back & wondered where you were! Funny looking Vulcan you're building though, only one engine & no delta wing...?! :shrug::D

Great start so far! I've one of these on the good old 'shelf of doom' - started it ages ago, decided I really didn't like all the 'rivets' plastered all over it so decided to fill them all in! Days & days of filling & sanding later I'd lost the will to live...!! :lol:

Keith

Hello Keef. Yep I have been so busy with all kinds the past 3 years I am so sad its been that long but im back now,. Missed it so much being on here, the modelling, the shows, the people. Got so much to catch up on here.

I just spent some money at Hannants today on decals and bits and bobs.

I love the rivets on this to be honest look quite restrained. I know where your coming from though.

There will still be Vulcans. But I dont just love Vulcans haha. As regards the Tin Triangle. I have my orders from the General to get some made for our SIG so I better get some finished.

All the best Rob :)

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 2:16 PM, gingerbob said:

To get to a Mk.I from your Mk.II, you need to change the prop (which that kit "requires" anyway) and leave off/sand off the Coffman starter blister on the starboard cowl.  There, done!

Hmmm, feel a bit nervous here, quoting someone who's probably forgetten more about Spits than I'll ever know, but my 'stalled' build that I mentioned above was also being converted to a Mk1, and when researching it I thought there were other changes needed - the underwing oil cooler and metal rather than fabric ailerons (or the other way round!) come to mind?

But as you say Rob, as  you just want a nice model for your shelf, please ignore everything I just said! :)

Keith

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hmmm, feel a bit nervous here, quoting someone who's probably forgetten more about Spits than I'll ever know, but my 'stalled' build that I mentioned above was also being converted to a Mk1, and when researching it I thought there were other changes needed - the underwing oil cooler and metal rather than fabric ailerons (or the other way round!) come to mind?

But as you say Rob, as  you just want a nice model for your shelf, please ignore everything I just said! :)

Keith

Keith

Keith

I have not ooked at the nose yet. I dont want it to have the bulbous nose, the one in the box looks ok maybe a litle short. I can see the blades are a bit wide at the end.

Cant find a replacement for it on Hannants.

10 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

I have not ooked at the nose yet. I dont want it to have the bulbous nose, the one in the box looks ok maybe a litle short. I can see the blades are a bit wide at the end.

Cant find a replacement for it on Hannants.

Do you mean the propeller spinner Rob, or the whole nose? Haven't seen anything about the nose itself being wrong? There is a replacement prop. available at Hannants, but it's out of stock at the moment;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EAR32070

My kit only cost me a tenner from a friend, so I won't spend double that on a prop though! Mine will have to make do with Revell's effort!!

Keith

Just now, keefr22 said:

Do you mean the propeller spinner Rob, or the whole nose? Haven't seen anything about the nose itself being wrong? There is a replacement prop. available at Hannants, but it's out of stock at the moment;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EAR32070

My kit only cost me a tenner from a friend, so I won't spend double that on a prop though! Mine will have to make do with Revell's effort!!

Keith

Ah the spinner is it / nose yeh that looks ok to me. As for the props I might just leave them or thin them down maybe. I guess its something I can worry about later. either that or I might make a resin copy of the props from the revell Hurricane if they are any good when it arrives.

Rob :)

Keith, I was really thinking of "Mk.II to Mk.I", not "Revell whatever to Mk.I"!

Incidentally, I'm not blaming you, Rob, but I've started fiddling with an Airfix 1/48 Mk.I- though it might become a Va, unless I come up with some other idea.  I think I figured out how to deal with the gear legs, but the truth will come out in the final act.  (Ooh, come to think of it, I've thought before that the early civilian Mk.II/Va "Josephine" would be a nifty build, but then I'd have to deal with special decals, etc.  Still....)

• Like 1