Return to BM Spitfires Hurricane Revell etc 1/32 Modelling Binge

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:55, Troy Smith said:

no.  BoB Mk.II's are very rarely photographed.   The only pic from the era I know of is of a 266 Sq plane, and that's a still from a film.

detail of P7434 from here

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p004.html

if you want a documented 19 Spitfire,  get a De Havilland prop and do this Mk.I,    I suspect that the decals for P7434 are  based on the below image and a logbook or squadron records.

@lasermonkey  may know as he was collating Spitfire photos on PB (still viewable with a embed fix  in Firefox  and Chrome BTW)

or @gingerbob may know.

spitfire-take-off.jpg

and good to see you back Rob :)

HTH

T

Hey Rob - I did a 1/72 version of this little beauty last year - with quite lot of research into all sorts of finickity little things like the undersize roundels on the underside - the fact that it had no wire on the aerial - it did have gun port patches blah blah blah...

Anyway there are loads of pictures of X4474 and the pilot - here...

...right - time to settle down with the popcorn and watch a master at work :popcorn:

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Well you've got plenty to keep you occupied there Rob :)

Nice selection of goodies too B)

Cheers,

Stew

Hey Stew yep,. Sure have and having so much fun with it. This is a great cure for stress haha :)

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Rob 

You have got a lot on there.  They all look good.  I have the Spitfire mk IIa to build hopefully soon along with some resin additions so will be watching with interest.  I too have been away for just over a year and am catching up. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Always good to be busy they say. Certainly is with models. Welcome back and wish you luck with your revell IIA its a great kit but mine sadly is warped and if it hadent would have fitted better. Just bought their old one to go with it and the revell hurricane,. Be nice to see how they compare.

Cheers Rob :)

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

This crept under the radar mate, good to see you back behind the bench but what in Jupiters codpiece is going on...it's got a propeller and straight wings, good lord man next you'll be building biplanes.......oh, too late :rage:

Hahaha good old humour still going strong and im still trying to reply to your email. Keep getting distracted but I think I should be ok for Hudds. Yep plenty of probs straight wings and biplanes for a change.  But there will still be triangular noise and sunshine machines coming out of here too. Love that bang the head on the desk emoji haha.

I feel like that today. :)

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Rob - I did a 1/72 version of this little beauty last year - with quite lot of research into all sorts of finickity little things like the undersize roundels on the underside - the fact that it had no wire on the aerial - it did have gun port patches blah blah blah...

Anyway there are loads of pictures of X4474 and the pilot - here...

...right - time to settle down with the popcorn and watch a master at work :popcorn:

Many thanks for that I will read that with interest it will be a big help cheers :)

Update time. The Spitfire 11a is currently drying. Meanwhile I have been doing some work on the others and had the Hurricane arrive today from kits for cash. Lovely model.

I think I will rename this topic "Modelling Binge" As that is what its becoming after so long of not doing it im getting stuck in deep.

I was spraying up some random Dakota parts and some parts off the Spit 22/24

28245572679_db8034b139_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Then the postman delivered this :)

40024896101_209edfd65c_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I do love a good Hurricane

So it was time to get down the shed and start priming parts of the Hurricane, Spit 22/24, and the Sopwith Pup.

39126919455_b5f46c5ba9_z.jpg by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26151907838_691ba3226c_z.jpg by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39126932345_3f7e586a57_z.jpg by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

28245885379_4763e1b7c9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

While that was drying I started putting together this Spad !

39993174822_c14b67e47e_z.jpg by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Spitfire IIA to follow haha.

Edited by robvulcan
wrong photo selected
  • Like 4

Good lord, I can see you're making up for lost time...just don't overdo it you might blow something. The old Hurricane brings back memories, I think I built just about every kit in the 1/32nd series back in the seventies, they seemed state of the art, which I suppose they were. Glad to hear you can make Huddy, I'll get the bivvy ready in the garden, hope you don't mind sharing with Darling...he snores ferociously and can be a touch flatulent but brews an excellent early morning Darjiling and fried kippers.... 

Sorry I’m late to the party. I’ll be in the back looking in!

You’re doing a great job on the Spit (and the others too).

As everyone else has said “Welcome Back”.  :party:

Trevor

On 01/02/2018 at 21:41, general melchett said:

Good lord, I can see you're making up for lost time...just don't overdo it you might blow something. The old Hurricane brings back memories, I think I built just about every kit in the 1/32nd series back in the seventies, they seemed state of the art, which I suppose they were. Glad to hear you can make Huddy, I'll get the bivvy ready in the garden, hope you don't mind sharing with Darling...he snores ferociously and can be a touch flatulent but brews an excellent early morning Darjiling and fried kippers.... 

I certainly am. The last 3 years have gone so fast it seems like 6 months and I aint kidding. . Scary. The last time I overdid it my Aircompressor blown up haha. its time I got my self a new one I think.

The Revell 32nd kits are wonderful. The only original one I have is the Harrier GR1 which I am suprised they have never re released as its a great looking model with lots of potential in it for the very early models.

I have shared  a room with a few people who have gone by the name of Darling before not sure I have been treated to Kippers and Darjiling in the morning but plenty of them where generour with the old flatulance haha.  :)

On 02/02/2018 at 09:40, nimrod54 said:

Just like the No 32 bus, you don't see one for three years and then seven come along all at once. :lol:

hahaha :)

16 hours ago, nick32 said:

Good to see you back mate, and you've come back with a bang lol.

Also good to see how your bands come on, i'm going to have to come see you guys at some point.

Nick

Cheers Nick glad your enjoying the band stuff and thanks for the welcome back. would be great to see you soon :)

15 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Sorry I’m late to the party. I’ll be in the back looking in!

You’re doing a great job on the Spit (and the others too).

As everyone else has said “Welcome Back”.  :party:

Trevor

welcome pull up the old chair and make yourself a brew.  Thanks for the welcome back

cheers Rob :)

Right then. Update time.

I have made the most of this Hurricane interior which aint as bad as I feared from reading other posts. Its probably not very accurate but it looks ok to me for what little of it can be seen. I havent spent to much time in there and the decals help quite a bit on this reissue version.

40013169542_a48e8b3a00_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26172427658_4f86fc7564_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26172430928_5d4a820e4e_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25173974827_077eecfa58_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40045965401_ad6ca6a952_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Meanwhile I have been waiting for this Spitfire to dry so I can work on this fillet of plastic I had to put in to fill where the molding was not done correctly. Its funny I am reading what a great kit this is and I bet the old one when it arrives will fit better haha. I Got the last turkey in the shop with this one. I think its been left near a heat sources before I bought it or popped out the mold too early.

28266654989_383e303ffc_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Right back to it now then

more later cheers Rob  :)

• Like 4

The Hurri's office is looking good Rob, you have made a good job of settling the instrument panel decal down and as you have said once it is closed up you won't see a lot so it's perfectly adequate for the purpose. As you continue to retune your modelling skills, then I'm sure that you will easily kick the Spitfire into shape as well.

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

The Hurri's office is looking good Rob, you have made a good job of settling the instrument panel decal down and as you have said once it is closed up you won't see a lot so it's perfectly adequate for the purpose. As you continue to retune your modelling skills, then I'm sure that you will easily kick the Spitfire into shape as well.

Thanks mate, The decals are very impressive in these newer Revell kits or re-pops they seems very like Cartograph,. Now I have all these decals around the shop I am wondering what other options I might have. I will have to go looking for photos of wartime Spits and Hurricanes now.

:)

Right progress a little slow. Had a mad week with Job interviews and they went well I got one job and start later this month and I have high hopes of getting the other too.

Later on got to meet my band so I will see if I can get a bit more done this afternoon.

The Hurricane is coming along nicely so far in this state.

40026516152_0aa7a349a0_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

The post man brought these and it will be interesting to see how the old Revell Spit stands up next to the New one and Hurricane as part of the same build.

I have very fond memories of building this kit as Kiwi way back in the 90s from a wonderful model shop. Back in the days when they where everywhere and even your local newsagents stocked a few kits and some humbrol supplies.

39348313944_3b3762fbef_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40059191441_84fd054eec_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

some EZ Line and ..random pack of bricks I thought might come in handy and the Sopwith pup received some colour.

These figures should go nicely with these my Dad said he would like a few. I am most excited that it has a Dog in there.

26185692928_4c0e90d838_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

The Spitfire finaly got its wings sorted out. now I can carry on with that.

39160574455_6b3f28fdd9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

And there is still the MK22 lagging behind somewhere.

• Like 3

Aah the old Revell Spitfire I. I had it also as a Seafire too when the mounds were still fresh!

My memory is a bit dim now (you in the back there, stop sniggering!) there are a couple of things that need attention. The most obvious thing is that the undercarriage rake is eggagerated. The other thing is the exhausts. Something’s wrong but can’t remember what.....it’s my memory you know.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Just a note of caution on the figures Rob. The standing, gesticulating figure is wearing a bomber type parachute harness with separate clip on parachute pack, so would need amending,for a Spitfire/ Hurricane pilot.

Looking good so far.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That old Revell Spitfire brings back some memories, it was the first kit that I "messed about" I read an article called "Gilding the lily" in one of the modelling mags and one of the subjects was this kit, I can't remember the details now but I do remember that the main wheels were too skinny and I inserted a plastic disc between the two halves to fatten it up a bit. I've still got a Seafire from the same kit in my display cabinet. The surface detail on he old kits was very good if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Rob! Crikey, I missed your return (and what a return) but caught up with this thread now and following... better late than never :)

Welcome back mate, you obviously haven't lost your touch - I love those internals.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Rob! Crikey, I missed your return (and what a return) but caught up with this thread now and following... better late than never :)

Welcome back mate, you obviously haven't lost your touch - I love those internals.

Many thanks Ced I need to crack on with these. Got distracted catching up on old builds and using them as a warm up for these. It's amazing how easy doubt can cloud your progress when you been away for a bit. Rather than how you don't realise your confidence picks up when doing modelling all the time. 

But now I'm back at it more keen than ever ! , 

withdrawl symptoms :) 

cheers Rob 

• Like 1