New Modeller

Coutinho

Hi everyone!

I've loved the idea of building things since I was a small kid. I built everything from lego and even worked on modifying my toy cars. I love the process of making things so much that I'm about to graduate as a civil engineer.

Despite this love for making things, I never really got involved in making model kits. I was always enticed by them, but never took the chance.

However, now I'm starting to get more time on my hands and am looking to get stuck in. Before I do so, I just needed some advice. I've heard and read of stories of first time modellers being scared off after they try to create a skill 5 masterpiece on their first go. I do not want to make this mistake.

In terms of model building, I have an interest in both war planes and war/commercial boats, but feel that perhaps starting with a boat would be too difficult, unless opinions here say otherwise.

I came across a cheap $10 Hobby Boss Mig 3 1/72 kit that is supposedly 'easy assembly' that I thought might be worth taking a shot at for a first model, however the thought of finding the correct paint and glue is a little daunting for the first time (not as daunting as other first time things). Would this kit be good for a first timer? Or is there another kit that might be suited to my skills?

I appreciate all advice and look forward to meeting everyone in the forums!

Happy new year!

• Like 2

Hello and :welcome: ... Ive been building models since i was 8. I have an Hobbyboss easy assembly kit of the Me-262 for an upcoming group build. I think they're fine for beginners as that is what they're designed for. I plan on putting more detail and extra work to improve mine, where i think it needs it.

As you build more you will learn more and take on bigger challenges. In fact my advice is start out easy and try one new technique, paint, or what have you with each new build. You will learn better and your knowledge will increase faster than you think. After you get to a certain point you will know it when it happens. It will feel right to combine different things to take it to the next level. 

I hope this helps. If i can help with anything please ask. I'm always willing to help a new modeler. If you need to get someones attention you can @ in front of there screen name or PM them.

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum and the hobby, yes something like the Hobby Boss is fine. The main thing is pick a subject that interests you, enjoy building it and as long as you are happy with the end result.

• Like 2

Welcome to Britmodeller!

As the others have said Hobbyboss are good for ‘cutting your teeth’ modelling wise. I built their F-86E and was very impressed with it.

You can ask away for advice here. There will always be someone that has that piece of information you need.

I look forward to seeing your work.

Trevor 

• Like 1

Like Lost Cosmonauts says, you're not out much if you bin a kit... I spill the cost of a Spitfire when I stir my latte at Starbucks!  I hadn't built anything since the sixties but dived in with a Lancaster (Gibson's G-George) a few months back.  In for a penny...!  Now I'm putting together a Dambusters collection on a shelf in my workshop (since the missus doesn't have enough sense of humour for me to put them anywhere else), having added a Tornado (looking proper 'ard with all the nasty weaponry slung under it) and next is Leonard Cheshire's Mosquito.

• Like 1