We need your vote ! Stranger on the Town: foreign gear and people in British service or use - Now running for a 2020 slot

Giorgio N

1 hour ago, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in. I'm thinking probably a Royal Navy Corsair flown by a Canadian pilot (either Robert Hampton Gray, VC or else the RCN's first ace of World War II, Don Sheppard), or possibly an M22 Locust.

Happy to have you on board ! Added to the list !

• Thanks 1

I thought about the Spit XVI and really I can't see this as a "foreign" type even with a US engine... more so as it was a British engine built in the US :lol:

A foreign piloted Spitfire however would be fine if we all agree on having foreign personnel included in the GB. In this case I think we should have a machine that is immediately recognisable as piloted by a foreign pilot. Of course sometimes it's difficult as generally aircrafts in a unit were piloted by any pilot, however there are some that are strongly associated to a famous pilot, for example the famous Tempest named "Le Grand Charles" flown by Clostermann or some of the Spitfires serving in Polish units.

I suggest that it should be up to each modeller interested in such a subject to justify the choice of the specific aircraft modelled and its connection to a foreign pilot. It should be a strong connection if possible.

At this point I should also think of rules for foreign pilots racing in Britain on British cars...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

A foreign piloted Spitfire however would be fine if we all agree on having foreign personnel included in the GB.

Let's hope we agree to have foreign personnel in the GB because I really ought to do a 91 squadron Spitfire flown by Jean Demozay or Jean Maridor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Let's hope we agree to have foreign personnel in the GB because I really ought to do a 91 squadron Spitfire flown by Jean Demozay or Jean Maridor.

Good morning Beard

I would like to see you build one Spit flown by these pilots but I wish you good luck to find decals .. 2 years ago I had built Maridor Spit XIV and I had to use spare decals for the code letters and serials ...

Patrice

• Like 1

Good morning Giorgio

I guess that a Mustang or a Thunderbolt flown by a Raf pilot would be qualified for this Gb ? otherwise I have the Eduard Spit Mk XVI and some decals for an aircraft used by a Free French Squadron Ile de France or Berry ..

Patrice  

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Beard

I would like to see you build one Spit flown by these pilots but I wish you good luck to find decals .. 2 years ago I had built Maridor Spit XIV and I had to use spare decals for the code letters and serials ...

Patrice

I think there are transfers for a 91 squadron MkVI, flown by Demozay on a DK Decals sheet and in the Italeri MkVI.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beard said:

I believe that at this point we have to include foreign personnel too in the GB, it only makes sense :smile:

I'll have to come up with a some rules for this, not much for French or Polish personnel, but more for Commonwealth ones... if a pilot was say Australian and volunteered in the RAF it seems pretty clear to me, he was a foreigner who served in Britain. If however we have a pilot born in Australia from a British family and then moved back to Britain... is he Australian or British ? Hopefully modellers will stick to the easy ones to tell and follow the spirit of the GB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Giorgio

I guess that a Mustang or a Thunderbolt flown by a Raf pilot would be qualified for this Gb ? otherwise I have the Eduard Spit Mk XVI and some decals for an aircraft used by a Free French Squadron Ile de France or Berry ..

Patrice  

Hi Patrice,

yes, a Mustang or Thunderbolt in RAF service would be foreign designed and built aircrafts operated by a British armed service, so perfectly in line with the idea of the GB.

Should I add you to the list ?

Ok, let's recap the way I see the rules til now. Of course any suggestion or comment is welcome !

The spirit of the GB is to cover the use in the UK of foreign designed/built vehicles and equipment and the contribution given by foreign personnel to the history of the UK at any level.

Regarding the various modelling subjects, the eligibility would follow these rules:

Military aircrafts:

Any military aircraft type designed and built outside the UK that has served or is serving with the RAF, FAA, AAC, RFC, RNAS or any other branch of the British military, current and past.

If the type is foreign designed but built in the UK, it will be eligible if the variant used does not feature significative differences from the original design. For example, a Wessex is IMHO not eligible as it's quite different from a H-34. The Spey Phantoms are however eligible as while they're quite different from the US variants they were designed and built in the US.

Foreign aircrafts captured from enemy forces are eligible if they have a record of having been operated by UK users of any kind. The use may have been operational (for example the several Fi-156 used by the RAF for liaison) or for testing (like the Me-262 and 163 tested by RAE). Of course these aircrafts have to be modelled as they were in UK use and not before their capture.

Every aircraft piloted by a foreign pilot serving within the RAF, FAA, AAC, RFC, RNAS etc. regardless of the place of construction or design of the aircraft. The aircraft modelled must be closely associated to the foreign pilot. Foreign pilots include any pilot not a UK national that for whatever reason served with one of the UK armed forces. The nationality of the pilot will have to be the one held at the moment he/she joined the UK service, for example an Irish pilot in WW1 would not be considered foreign as Ireland was part of the UK back then even if the same pilot may have become a foreigner after independence.

Civil aircrafts:

Any commercial aircraft type designed and built outside the UK that is or has been used by a UK based commercial operator. The use by the operator will take precedence over the registration of the aircraft, a foreign registered aircraft used by a UK operator is eligible

Commercial aircrafts on the UK civil aircraft register are eligible if used by a UK operator, aircrafts registered in the UK but used by non UK operators are not eligible

Any private aircraft on the UK civil aircraft register.

Military vehicles, artillery and other military equipment

Any vehicle, artillery piece or item of military equipment designed and built outside the UK that has served or is serving with any branch of the British military, current and past. Foreign types built under license in the UK will be eligible if the variant used does not feature significative differences from the original design.

Foreign equipment captured from enemy forces are eligible if they have a record of having been operated by UK users of any kind. For example, a German truck used by a British regiment is eligible. A WW2 vehicle owned by a private UK national is also eligible. The vehicle will have to carry some clearly discernible sign of being in UK use (regimental or divisional markings, registration plate etc).

Every equipment operated by foreign personnel serving in a British armed service is eligible. The vehicle or item will have to be clearly connected to a foreign crew and again it will be up to the modeller to justify the choice of the subject and explain the relation to the foreign crew.

Commercial vehicles, cars, trucks and buses:

Any foreign designed and built vehicle that is or has been registered in the UK.

Vehicles built in the UK by foreign manufacturers are eligible if the type is the same as one originally designed and built outside the UK. Simple examples: a British built Peugeot 206 is eligible as it's a model designed in France. A Ford Cortina is not eligible as it's a UK only type built by what is afterall a UK company even if the owners are American. Same for Vauxhall, they may have been owned by GM and icars were almost identical to Opels but it's a British brand. A Mercedes SLR would be eligible as it's afterall a Mercedes more than a McLaren, even if McLaren assembled the cars.

Figures:

Any figure representing a foreigner in service with any branch of the British military, current and past. The person represented must be clearly identifiable as a foreigner, be it through the uniform or badges or because of the representation of a clearly identifiable personality. For example a figure representing a particular pilot or knight, a figure of a foreign regiment in a British military expedition with their specific uniform, or a figure clearly recognizable as a Gurkha even if wearing standard British Army uniforms

Any figure representing a foreign personality that had an impact on British History during his time in Britain. For example a figure of William III

Any figure representing a British soldier carrying a foreign designed and built item as an important part of his equipment. Again, the usual rules about license built stuff apply... for example a modern British soldier with an L129 rifle would be eligible as the rifle is US built, one with an SLR would not as this variant is UK built and different enough from the original Belgian weapon.

And I'd like to add one one further cathegory for figure modellers: any figure of what would have been a foreign settler in what is today Britain, as long as the association is made clear. This cathegory would include for example Roman legionaries stationed in Britain, Dane settlers, Norman knights after 1066 or Viking soldiers of the Great Heathen Army

Sci-fi: I've yet to think of something... :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 4:10 PM, 1903flight said:

I could be up for this - Sabre in 4 Sqn markings....

Will add you to the list ASAP !

Good choice, Sabres served in the RAF in a period when unit markings were prominently displayed, 4 Sqn was no exception.

The Sabre in general is IMHO a very interesting subject to be built in RAF colours, no surprise that I built one in the past and have planned a second

13 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This sounds tempting, there's plenty to choose from.

If I can get a kit, I might go for a SdKfz 251 (German half-track) in British use.

Sounds like a very interesting plan Robert ! I'm sure there was a good story behind the use of a German half-track by a British unit

Will add you to the list !

• Like 1

Hope to get my shelf of doom sorted this year which also resulted from several unfinished GBs - I will not try a new GB before I can be pretty sure to meet the timeline (this is what I promissed myself). So as we are talking about 2019 - yes please! There are quite a few in stash: Sabre Mk4 in NMF or Baltimore would be my top options.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Hope to get my shelf of doom sorted this year which also resulted from several unfinished GBs - I will not try a new GB before I can be pretty sure to meet the timeline (this is what I promissed myself). So as we are talking about 2019 - yes please! There are quite a few in stash: Sabre Mk4 in NMF or Baltimore would be my top options.

Added you to the list !

Both options sound interesting. RAF Sabres will likely be popular if the GB goes ahead but I bet that one in natural metal will be pretty unique

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, Beard said:

This is a great idea for a Group Build: it caters for almost every modelling genre, apart from Sci-if and railways (and I'm happy to be corrected there).

Even though I can't think of a way to fit a Spitfire in (unless a MkXVI counts as it had a foreign engine(?)), please count me in.

Off the top of my head:

USA 'Tanks' - 0-6-0 dock locomotives

Swiss Gas Turbine, 1960s (one off)

Class 50, 66, 67

None of these are available as kits, as far as I know, in 1/76.

Various Fireless Steam Locomotives - kits were available in 1/76, some might be suitable.

Michelin Road-railer; LMS trials, very rare kit.

Rolling stock: various modern stuff; I don't know what might be available, not my period

I think there were numbers of WWI surplus American narrow gauge wagons in use somewhere.

Stretching things a bit for SF: Angel Interceptor (Pilots with plummy English accents)...

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Giorgio N said:

This category would include for example Roman legionaries stationed in Britain, Dane settlers, Norman knights after 1066 or Viking soldiers of the Great Heathen Army

But not Angles/Saxons/Jutes?  Apart from the Romans, those other groups form a significant part of the English identity.

Strictly speaking, in a historical context, British means Welsh and Cornish.  Ethnically, Bretons also count.

• Like 1

Categories: I found some more.

Myth and Legend: Lancelot from the Arthurian Cycle

Straight forward fiction: Simon Templar's Volvo, from 'The Saint'

Fantasy: Stuck, I'm afraid. Edit:  No I'm not!  There was a cheesy TV series in the same mould as 'Xena' (may have been part of the same storytelling universe) about Celts.  I saw little of it - excessive cringe factor - but among the villains was a Roman ex-Centurion.

And a kosher SF build: a Dalek, from the Dr Who story set during WWII, in which Churchill has some Dalek allies.

I also recall a BBC Radio play in which a saucer is recovered from Nazi Germany at the war's end and taken for flight testing. (Was it 'Slipstream' by Simon Bovey?)

Edited by Chillidragon
  • Like 2