Converting Plastic Soldier Stug III Ausf G to C/D and F

Stephen Hawkins

I am particular interested in armour from the Western Desert and Tunisia, so I have bought a Plastic Soldier Stug III kit which consists 3 models with the ability to fit 3 different gun/mantlet combinations. 

Unfortunately they are all Ausf G's with options for a long 75, and slightly shorter gun possibly of a higher calibre, both on the older angular mantlet, and a gun mounted in a 'pigs head' mantlet.

All hulls are fitted with a Cupola on the port side.

However I need to model the STUG III C/D with a short barrel, and an F/8, which I might be have the long 75 (?)

Either way, I need to lose the cupola and fabricate a flat hatch on these earlier versions.

I have a few spare barrels from a Panzer 4 kit for the short 75

And I think I might need to create some sort of air filter arrangement for the C/D vehicle.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

I am not expecting to get too creative, but half an hour with some evergreen and filler to create something reasonable in this small scale would be nice.

Cheers

Steve H

• Confused 1

I would suggest the Trumpeter StuG III kits.  If I recall correctly, even though they are identified as a various early variants, each kit contain the parts to build any of those early versions.  It would simply be a matter of having the correct decals on hand for your project.

• Like 1

The whole superstructure is different, the gun is different, the engine deck arrangement may be different (depending on exact variant), the driver's hatch arrangement may be different (depending on exact variant), the sprockets may be different (depending on exact variant) and the return roller spacing may be different (just plain can't remember off hand).....Other than that it's pretty much identical.  :sorry:

57 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

I would suggest the Trumpeter StuG III kits.  If I recall correctly, even though they are identified as a various early variants, each kit contain the parts to build any of those early versions.  It would simply be a matter of having the correct decals on hand for your project.

This is the way forward.  :coolio:

Read the review here thoroughly to make sure you get what you want:  http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Trumpeter/Elwin_Bugler_StugIIIC.htm  Trumpeter, being Trumpeter, have not put all the right bits in the same box together, multiple kits may be required to get all the parts you want, but there should be no waste if you plan your purchases.

But if you want an F8 (which always has the long gun) you'll have to look elsewhere.....Dragon do one in 1/72 but do not go within a mile of it, it is a terrible kit!  There's also one from Attack Hobby, which I foolishly bought a couple of, these might well be as tricky as your propsed conversion, or they might fall together, it's often a matter of sheer luck with Attack. 

• Like 1

For your F8 version, there is this (MT72417) resin conversion set from Modell Trans Modellbau.  It is meant to be used with the Revell Panzer III kit (which in its own right is a little gem of a kit!).

sturmgeschutz-iii-ausf-f8-early.jpg

Modell Trans also does a StuG III Ausf.B/C/D stowage set that includes parts for an Afrika Korps version.

stug-iii-ausf-bcd-stowage-set-inkl-parts-for-afrika-korps.jpg

Hopefully this will help you along with your projects.

• Like 1