Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

Thanks Tony - yak yak (not my theme) but definitely lots of Rabbit! :D 

Thanks Johnny :) Ah, well, it was in the photo I used for the transfer. I suppose I could have tried to cut it out but it's so tiny... I also had the faint hope that it might match the paint, ar har de har har :) It will get dotted I suspect.

A little Ian suggested PPP on the canopy join and more Daco strong on some small bits tonight. That'll be dry in the morning and, with the Xtradecals, has given a nice 'painted on' look so I don't feel that bad about not painting them. Really.

I'll fit the pitot before I touch up tomorrow, then the only big step is the extra canopy framing. Nearly there.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CedB said:

not nicely flush like this:

Hello, the left gear seems to be too deep. The decals look fine on the finished plane as the ones for the new printed nose art. For the LED or Halogen lamps, I'm really not sure, which are better!! And who are stayin ' longer?  The price will tell you! Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Benedikt :) Yes, both the wheels/tyres should be slightly proud of the wells but, as I fixed them in on a bed of Humbrol filler, they're going nowhere (just tried!)

Two more worrying jobs done this morning. The serials were first. I hate making serials from single letters. Model held at 'the right angle':

39837920342_3ff2c520f7_z.jpg

You can (just) see the individual serials on the paper there. I've learnt from bitter experience to check whether the transfers are separate or, like these, all joined by the carrier. I've also learned to try to have as little carrier as possible AND to make sure the edges that will butt the next transfer are straight(ish) to avoid one pushing the other out of alignment. For me, such preparation avoids Anglo-Saxon and wrecked nerves. I also had no idea how quickly the transfer would separate from the sheet so each was held under water in tweezers for a count of five and then placed on the decal tray. With all that care it just left the awful job of getting them lined up. I know Beard and others use tape guides but I'd rather do it by eye to be honest - I find the tape gets in the way.

After some prodding and only a little cursing they were on:

39160076724_1a8daf0570_z.jpg

Phew!

Worrying job number two was the pitot. It was too big. Gave me a chance to use the new needle files (they work):

28092060059_167f0f70cb_z.jpg

Pitot reduced by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll leave that to dry a bit. Camo and Wabbit touch ups next. :shutup:

• Like 15

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I know Beard and others use tape guides but I'd rather do it by eye to be honest - I find the tape gets in the way.

Not anymore, which is why my serials are often wonky. I let each transfer set before doing the next.

Nice work on the serial, by the way.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 2

One last addition of the storm last Thursday here. I guess the passengers have prayed and sweated at Amsterdam airport.  The pilot had obviously not time for that. Just saw this on a friend's site at FB:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 8

Thanks for the video!  Glad I wasn't on that plane but that has to be the most fantastic side-slip I have ever seen!  What a pilot!

Here in Greece we work with similar conditions a lot and the local hoppers (like the plane in the video--looked like a Dash 800 or 400 or something of that nature)  from Aegean, Sky Express and Olympic are known to have some of the best pilots in the skies.  

I was flying from Paros (where I live) to Athens a few years ago.  Middle of the summer, 35C, 6 Beaufort...the flight was fine leaving the island, a few small bumps.  As we made landfall near Athens, the heat rising began to buffet us up and down like a yo-yo...the Scotswoman behind me was praying the rosary, etc...It wasn't as drastic as your example, by far, by once again the side-slip landing saved us all.  We bounced a couple of times, and were down.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few more little dots  between  the ears and round the title and this is done with, touching in-wise

You have developed new techniques here on Wacky, I am proud of how you rose to it all, we've all found new things in the Wabbit :clap2:

Can't wait to see her flying high up in the Cedosphere

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking great! I also had never noticed that the wheels stand out a bit. I’m sure it would be more aerodynamic your way so that’s no bad thing I think. I’m sure that the guys who resprayed WW a couple of years ago would also be most impressed by your efforts. Don’t forget to add a little oil for weathering. We try to keep her clean but like someone once said - if it’s not leaking oil it’s run out of oil!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

You have developed new techniques here on Wacky, I am proud of how you rose to it all, we've all found new things in the Wabbit

Sez all that needs to be said Ced.

Respect dude. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks John - yes, hairy landing. I hope they checked the whole thing! Bound to be some, er, problems in the cabin too :D

Thanks Bill - a few more dots have been applied! Very kind comments, thanks matey :)

Hi Brian! Thanks for the kind comments. I've had a look at the gallery on the website and there are a few with oil (coming out of the rivets!) but most seem to be 'picture ready'. I'm not very good at weathering so I think I'll have her as she was during the walk around - clean! :D

Thanks Tony, kind of you :)

Nothing much to report (dot dot) but I'm hoping (dot dot) that the transfers will be done in the morning (dot dot) and I can get the satin varnish on then the masking off!

I've had an idea. How about mounting the Boultbee and Wacky in formation in front of the Boultbee print and hanging that on the wall over my desk? Am I mad? What sort of clear plastic rod would I need to support the invisible thread and the models? Naff idea?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I wonder if they looked at the creep marks after that incredible landing

Skid marks, too, I shouldn't wonder...

Lovely work Ced, I'm sure I have seen clear acrylic rod on evilbay, might suit your needs?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Stew - skid marks! :D Acrylic rod was my thought but I know nothing about it so I don't know what thickness will take the weight. The idea came from this RFI which I really liked.

Thanks Johnny - with the right software and printer it's fairly easy :)

Before bed I checked the dots and I think they're OK:

26008185728_59823d48ce_z.jpg

39170805444_4b7de6b27b_z.jpg

Varnish in the morning!

• Like 14

So do the dots do it for you then Ced?

I found that using the brush with sweeps of colour could make me a tad reluctant to go right up to the edges that needed cleaning up, tiny dots are more controllable

I am not a' Worried of Birmingham' brush user, I have been painting pictures for sixty six or more years but if this is to be treated as a precision job dotting is more friendly to my old hand-eye co-ordination

She looks the very finest Wabbit I could conceive of -- Love that Harvard

• Thanks 1