Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

Great job getting the sods to fit. It looks as though changing your mind and going wheels down is not an option!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Good job on getting them to fit Ced, another win for wheels up!

Thanks Cookie :) One day, kit suppliers (apart from Airfix) will provide wheels up opions. I have a dream...

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Dogged persistence sir!

Thanks Jon :)

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That last couple of updates read like a cross between Kenneth Clark's Civilization, Raymond Baxter commentating on Farnborough, and a 'You and Yours' episode on the vicissitudes of train travel Ced.

Came home shattered from work and this made me smile.

Thank-you! :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony :) I'm pleased I brought a happy ending to an otherwise tiring day. Nice to know someone's getting value for effort!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Didnt this come with a wheels up option?

Memory gets worsererer  :(

Anyway, so what it gets nicer by the subtle touches Ced

Thanks Bill :)

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ced mate, I got a bit behind over the weekend but have caught up now; I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your freehand camo - I know it's not as easy as you made it look B)

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew :) It was a bit nerve-racking and I'm not that pleased with it, but it was my first (but not last) attempt.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I had to put a sad face for the paint escapade from your lovely wheels. But here have a happy face for making ‘em fit. :lol:

Jont.

Thanks Jont - they're better now (pictures tomorrow) and it gave me a chance to widen the metal bits so all's well(ish) :)

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Great job getting the sods to fit. It looks as though changing your mind and going wheels down is not an option!

Ian

Thanks Ian - wheels down? Not for a while. Still more space on the ceiling than in my cabinet! :) 

Last post tonight. Fiddling really. I need to replicate the filler caps, but where can I get some yellow rod?

24972175727_056d76493e_z.jpg

Yellow plastic by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Oh right, there. And there. And there. in the end I used the thick part of the bomb racks. Carefully nano-saw one off the sprue. 'That's going to ping' I thought so I stuck it on some BluTak and cut it off with a scalpel. Of course this pushed the part into the Tak and, when I pulled it out with tweezers, guess what? Yep, pinged. More pinging trying to cut it to size, filing it square etc etc but eventually I got some suitably sized (i.e. tiny) bits in the holes I'd drilled:

24972381987_a081ed335a_z.jpg

Filler caps by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'm not used to this micro-engineering. A drop of TET filled the hole on the starboard wing and, although Tamiya cotton buds (they're grrrreeaaattt) mopped it up it had melted the black paint so that one's a bit 'dirty'. it may be 'weathering'. If I paint it yellow the whole things been a waste of time,really. Ho hum. I'll also sort out the ding on the top of the fuselage.

Note also the silver blob in the 'wheels up' indicator. I'll put some Kristal Klear on those after the varnish coat.

Left to do:

1. Fit the engine, exhaust ring and cowling
  2. Transfers. We all want to see what the Wabbit customs looks like (tension!)
  3. Fit pitot and review sizing. File down with new files (when they arrive) if too big
  4. Touch up camo
  5. Varnish coat
  6. De-mask the canopy (hooray!) and fit extra framing with Filmoplast
  7. Fit landing lights and prop
  8. Done!
  • Like 13

Thanks Cookie - very kind :) I did think about masking the roundels after seeing the great results you had with the cutter but then I think I need to practice on something less 'precious'.

Thanks John - persistence is futile! Nearly there though :)

The wheels have been touched up:

24980683407_2f1cfe60b8_z.jpg

Safely glued now. I checked my reference shots this morning and actually the tyres protrude from the bottom of the bays on the real thing, not nicely flush like this:

25977853218_84937fda56_z.jpg

Check the reference shots, then fit the parts to the model, got it. I am an idiot.

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

Surely Ced that isn't how its supposed to work is it?

That's me bebeggared then

😬

Wabbit is getting the 'That CedB look' about it, don't criticise yourself undeservedly

You deserve compliments for building us another fine aeroplane

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, perdu said:

Wabbit is getting the 'That CedB look' about it, don't criticise yourself undeservedly

You deserve compliments for building us another fine aeroplane

Agreed 100% :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill and Giorgio, very kind of you :) I must admit that some of the legendary perdu / giemme patience does seem to be rubbing off, finally!

Fitting the engine, collector ring and cowling. Easy right? Well it would be if Wacky didn't have a modified exhaust. The end of the kit one had to come off:

39852018391_da5404d4ed_z.jpg

... and then with various instruments of destruction the new exhaust opening was hollowed out to my satisfaction (i.e. a bit rough):

39820531902_e493a7f88f_n.jpg 39820534922_717395c418_n.jpg

There's also a notch in the cowling, nicked with a scalpel and then filed out with one of my cheapo needle files:

28073401539_aae0faa800_z.jpg

Note the iron plate behind where the exhaust will be. I've put some iron on the end of the exhaust now too and glued the cowling on.

Transfers next!

• Like 13

Thanks Jon - too kind! :)

Here's what we've been waiting for:

24983151697_2ba29b4ee1_z.jpg

Too dark by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Oh dear, too dark. Back to the drawing board Inkscape. :(

The Mr Decal paper is nice though - thin and conformed to the lines with MicroSet straight away.

I think I should also leave more paper around the image so I can blend it in. Thoughts?

• Like 9

I would, or take the cut even closer to the artwork losing as much backing white as possible

As for lightening it, I think that would be a huge improvement

In 'little scale' a lighter background makes more scale visibility even if we think it might not be 'right'!

Wabbit does look very nice too, very high scores for Ced please.  

It's a 10 from bill

🙌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gents :) On 'the real thing' the Wabbit's chest is white and mine was greyish.

I increased the exposure (oooh missus) of the image and printed again (new ones on the top):

39145580674_778cce7be0_z.jpg

Exposure increased by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Better. They were sprayed and left to dry as I gathered the other markings. There's a great diagram of the markings on the T6Harvard website (scroll down) but it doesn't show the underside roundels. A bit of trial and error and I used 35" ones. Should have measured them I guess but I like my eyes better. Finding 5/5/5 tail flashes was tricky (Wacky has a tall fin) but I found some in the BoB set. Mostly applied:

39824606732_4aa2c9fdb6_z.jpg

I've had to stop as my nerves are shot and I put some 'strong' on the tail flash to wrap it around the fin. Better not touch that for a while.

It also gives me an excuse to avoid the serials until my mojo rebuilds!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Quite neat camo following there Ced, you wont need to touch in much

Id advise using Maskol over the transfer where the wabbit is and gently touch in the cam to merge the lines together

Maskol will want to take away the transfer but if it is well dried and -Sol'd ought to allow removal by gentle rubbment and if you have masked the wabbit nicely you could even risk the airbrush again, though I suggest a fine lining paintbrush with tiny dots of colour just where they are needed instead to recamo the area of colour merging

With tiny drops of paint on the tip you can be in control of the effect

This bit can be real fun

Have fun with it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Ced!

After seeing that first comparison shot of the decals, I'd be tempted to add a little PPP around the base of the rear section of the canopy to blend it in and slightly alter the curve to match the real thing. The nice thing with PPP is you can shape it with a damp Q-tip so no sanding necessary and minimum paint touch up!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :) Get dotty with the paint, got it! "Maskol will want to take away the transfer..." :shutup:

Thanks Ian - well spotted, thanks :)

Thanks Roger - I still have time to mess up! :)

Some mojo found. Serials cut out. One side put in water and application started. Wait, what's wrong? Wacky had black serials and these are Sky. Mojo drained.

Daco strong applied to other transfers - that'll teach 'em!

In other news I had to go to the shop to buy some more light bulbs for the house. What Watt is What? I'd just got used to those 'energy saving' "it'll be light soon, just taking a run up" ones, then they brought in LEDs and now Halogen in a bulb? 42W = 55W? Where's the 60w 'don't show the wrinkles' Mrs B likes? The world moves too quickly for some of us old guys...

I did get some stronger side light bulbs for the photo booth though. Can you see which is the new one?

24987650667_09ea039738_z.jpg

Brighter 345 lumens by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Look at the shadow on the rear Lego. Happier with those, other side now also replaced.

I'm hoping my photos will now shine... more.

• Like 7

Had they only considered such a thing possible, Charles and David would surely have determined this kit to be in possession of a greater quantity than Sainsbury's..

chas-and-dave-rabbit-friends-records.jpg

Personally I takes me hat orff to you for such beezer decalistry Sir Cedney.

'Ansom is as handsome does.

:worthy:

• Haha 8