Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Ah. I thought the Airfix to be merely a parts donor for the Wabbit, not a build in itself.

You're right Jon, the Airfix was a donor but then... let's see what we think about the canopies :)

Thanks Simon :) Really appreciate the catering too!

Thanks Giorgio - on a roll, with gaps for food. Out tonight so I think I'll probably be slowed down tomorrow - there will be wine (again)!

Thanks Bill - phew! :)

Minimum (5+5ml) of resin mixed, mold pre-loaded and then squirted through. Vibrated with the electric nail file:

27887558599_f46dd208f5_z.jpg

I'll leave that for a while and then we'll see - da da daaaahhh!

Crew selected. Obviously I wanted a suitably handsome figure for Brian who, luckily for me, was in 'sort of standard' pilot garb. I was just in civvies so I used a PJ civilian pilot, waving of course:

24797715097_1b3215f03c_z.jpg

Crew yoohoo by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

They'll get painted soon.

• Like 8

I won't keep you waiting any longer - I couldn't wait either:

38770855165_3a099d3b4b_z.jpg

Rats. How did THAT happen? I thought I'd pre-loaded the mould enough but obviously a bubble got pushed through somewhere. It's actually pretty 'straight' so 'Aha' I thought, fill in the gap with some plastic 'slide tube and rod':

38771011365_bff289b2a8_z.jpg

Could have used the fine saw and mitre block but the ends aren't that straight. I put a blob of CA gel in the bubble, offered up the rod and tube, positioned it and then decided I should use some thin CA to fill the gaps and ensure I grip:

39668669711_254da91c94_z.jpg

Arggh, gaaah and other curses!

Nerves are shot now but the parts are off the 'dangerous' paper and my fingers are still separate. I'll let that dry off then trim the rod so it fits the other bit and, hopefully, not repeat the whole process.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Crew selected. Obviously I wanted a suitably handsome figure for Brian who, luckily for me, was in 'sort of standard' pilot garb. I was just in civvies so I used a PJ civilian pilot, waving of course:

As a matter of interest, have you cast your own figures?:hmmm:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

the quick-setting two-part silicon molding stuff my daughter uses for ear molds:

I have to ask - I'm assuming that's a job-related activity Ced? 

It sound related to something fascinating.

Liking your forthright crafting on this aircraft.:clap: 

• Like 1

Awww thanks Cookie :) I'm not sure that's an accolade I deserve, but I am trying (very trying, some say).

Thanks Stuart - 'have I cast my own figures'? Hell yes (sorry, there has been wine, and port, tonight). I refer you sir to the trials and tribulations in and around this thread and I'll be quite happy to expand the problems (if you're interested) :)

Thanks Tony - yes, Lottie is an Audiologist and has provided interesting (and sometimes useful) additions to my modelling tool kit. The silicon stuff is great. In her world you mix the stuff, jam it people's ears and send it off for 'bespoke' hearing aid moulds. In my world it's painless and quick drying.

Time for bed now, more tomorrow, hangover permitting (hic) :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Johnny - hope you had a good time in Stratford :)

Rob! How are you matey? Great to see you back on the forums :D

Roger thanks very much for the offer of the canopy - very kind of you :) To be honest I think the kit one will be good enough for me after a bit of extra framing:

24818543037_8ccc2a7db9_z.jpg

Looks OK by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The moulded / repaired exhaust has been given a coat of Mr Metal iron:

27908800109_79617f4541_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Good enough for the Airfix (which will be high on the ceiling) so it's been put in the Airfix box with the other canopy for later building. There's a nice 'all yellow' Boscombe Down option in the kit too.

Assembly and crew painting progressing, despite the hangover:

39688472791_0de8cb2a9d_z.jpg

More tomorrow :)

• Like 13

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Stuart - 'have I cast my own figures'? Hell yes (sorry, there has been wine, and port, tonight). I refer you sir to the trials and tribulations in and around this thread and I'll be quite happy to expand the problems (if you're interested) :)

Hope you enjoyed your wine and port...dry ship here :sad:. I haven't cast anything in my life so it was a passing interest, maybe for the future.  I plan to build my spare aircraft as 'in flight' and you can't do them without pilots and we all know that very few kits come with pilots.

• Like 1

I bet you had grin like a Cheshire cat after your flight!  I Did!!!  I've been up in two T-6 / Texan/Harvards. One at Shoreham and the other in , Kissimmee, Florida'

Hope you get the right rear end of the canopy sorted.:wink:

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt :)

Thanks Simon - I think I might do a yellow one with the Airfix. Maybe.

Thanks Stuart - I did enjoy the drinks, thanks, just not the hangover the next day. Some people never learn... :) PJ Productions do some nice pilots but if you're happy with some 'second rate' molds PM me your address and I'll send some over.

Thanks Paul - I was more stunned than grinning to be honest; the formation with the Spitfire left me speechless, which is unusual! Also the aerobatics - great stuff :)

Getting close to closing up so the crew need to be fitted:

25829048468_fdda45d943_z.jpg

Does my b*m look big in this? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Oh dear. Some surgery required. I've never had a 'nicely chiselled bottom' before but needs must. 'Brian' fits well now but mini-me is fouling on the canopy so it's been stuck to the seat and I'll reduce the height of the seat when it's dry:

24832799537_c1cc771b50_z.jpg

• Like 11

You think I would have learnt that small details at this scale are tricky... but then look at some of the other threads! Worth a try, sometimes.

The rear seat has been chopped down lowered and the fuselage closed up:

38804751525_16f179510c_z.jpg

Closed up by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

There are some details I want to try to model, shown nicely in this photo:

38764976915_860e2e01a8_z.jpg

Exhaust 1 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The modified exhaust, obviously, but also the fuel filler (which is recessed) and the little glass window further forward which is one of Brian's favourites; it's on top of the wheel bay so that you can really see that the wheels are up.

For the exhaust I selected some suitable Albion tube and drilled some holes to accommodate it:

38805232905_bae1b5030d_n.jpg 38993961544_e4b9836c50_n.jpg

The end of the tube was angled with a file - I'll fit the fuselage bit later:

24834326237_f7477450ed_z.jpg

Tricky getting the holes in the middle but happy with that.

I marked the filler and u/c indicator positions ready to drill / chisel out but then found that the kit's locator is right under the indicator. Rats.

24834472477_2be5c06857_n.jpg 24834476677_f8122b7d8f_n.jpg

Oh well, I'll just have to chisel a dent and hope some Kristal Klear makes it look 'glassy':

39672038422_6f63bda77c_z.jpg

I've also chiselled off these bomb racks:

25830979328_7321540468_z.jpg

• Like 11

Your working wonders with this one Ced, very nice little additional details.

I’m good thanks mate, hopefully have a bit more time to browse Britmodeller again. Probably not much time for building though. I would like to start on the spitfires again but need some space! The kids have done more building than me at the moment, they are tackling some twin otters that were kindly sent but it’s slow going!

hope all is well your end and everyone enjoyed Telford! Need to make sure I drag myself along this year!

Rob

• Like 3

I hope you haven't imbued mini-Ced with mystyck powers, but if you haven't why didn't you slice a bit off his nethers instead of reframing the seat?

In another vein, I received a mysterious package in the post this morning

Thank you

And exhaustingly, your pipes look fab in this.  😀

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CedB said:

You think I would have learnt that small details at this scale are tricky... but then look at some of the other threads! Worth a try, sometimes.

There, you caught the super-detailing bug :frantic:  No turning back, Sir:shrug: :D  :D 

Lovely little details make a lot of difference in the final outcome, great going Ced! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1