Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

15 minutes ago, CedB said:

thanks for the pointer to ModelU over in the Boultbee thread. I've looked them up and it's interesting... £25 for the scan and £3 for figures? Sounds like a good idea to me - you know how keen I am on crewing my models and being able to get a 'right sized' decent pilot figure... I have emailed them and they're in Bristol on the 28th. More later!

For best effect, hire a costume - the scans will pick up every detail, so helmet, dangling mask etc...

I saw some larger scale stuff Alan of Modellu had done of some re-enactors and it was uncanny!

• Like 2

Drat, those e-mail notifications going AWOL again mean I'm half a day late, so I guess I'll just have to stand over here by the door then....

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

I saw some larger scale stuff Alan of Modellu had done of some re-enactors and it was uncanny!

That's the major problem with some of the Modelu figures - some of the re-enactors being of a somewhat 'larger scale' (around the waste at least!) than the originals they are meant to be portraying! :D  He started off doing railway figures and a portly engine driver doesn't look quite so out of place - don't think I'd now scan well as a 20 year old Battle of Britain pilot, for instance....!!

Keith

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Did you bring the pork pies Simon?

I did Perdu , along with mustard or pickle.

Sausage rolls, nut, crisps and twiglets too.

+ 4 pints of milk, with tea/coffee.

Biscuits.

Set for the duration LOL.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like a Yak 3 to me ...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - my recognition skills are a bit limited :)

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

For best effect, hire a costume - the scans will pick up every detail, so helmet, dangling mask etc...

Good idea Jon! I've had a quick search and there are some cheap fancy dress costumes available if I can't rent 'the real thing'. This one might 'scan' OK. Hmmm...

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Drat, those e-mail notifications going AWOL again mean I'm half a day late, so I guess I'll just have to stand over here by the door then....

That's the major problem with some of the Modelu figures - some of the re-enactors being of a somewhat 'larger scale' (around the waste at least!) than the originals they are meant to be portraying! :D  He started off doing railway figures and a portly engine driver doesn't look quite so out of place - don't think I'd now scan well as a 20 year old Battle of Britain pilot, for instance....!!

Keith

Thanks Keith and welcome :) Good point... I wonder if they can 'edit out' the, er, 'tummy'?

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh well, I will join Keef at the door I suppose.

But I did bring some refreshments though.

I am ready for another one of your wonderful builds Ced.

Simon.

Welcome Simon :)  Enough with the snacks though - I may need to lose some weight to get into the costume :D

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Did you bring the pork pies Simon?

Stop it!

5 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Stoppit with all this talk about food! I'm trying to loose weight.

Thanks John - although I may sneak one of those custard creams...

30 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I thunk I'll have to start the Harvard after the Chipmunk...then jump into the 10th Anni GB...

Good idea John, although I said I'd stay away from GBs for a while - can't take the pressure!

Look what I found in the Airfix kit:

27870377129_a12122110f_z.jpg

Airfix II exhaust by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Should be a good start - I couldn't work out how to get the 'open lip' at the end with tube.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Beard said:

The damn thing flew over my house about a hundred times that day. Sadly, this didn't:

As above, looks like a Yak 3 and as noisy as a Mustang I guess ( saw one at the FMO on a Flying Legend show there).

But if you lived in NRW in the 70/80,  you really have experienced, what planes could wreck your nerves on sunny afternoons. My favourite is  this at low level test raids on lakes of the Sauerland then:

Not forgetting supersonic bangs mostly everyday by other Mach 1+ ones. Mainly F-4/15/16 were the ones killing your well deserved nap after school. :rant:

Edit: Correcting my typing.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 5

Cripes - came in to empty the bins and found some sort of lock-in in progress.

Lovely backstory for an engaging subject Ced.

We moan about the younger generation but when you see this much enthusiasm for an aircraft, well,  it's rather humbling:

harvard-yale%20crowd.jpg?itok=-SaPcFmv

• Haha 9

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Easy

slice off nobby bit - drill thin hole - insert Albion Alloys tube

But not that suit Ced, looks like a hybrid USAF Bombing chap's gear to me

You want https://tinyurl.com/yacr6twj

;)

16 hours ago, 06/24 said:

And cutting the tube at angle gives the opening...

Thanks Bill and Jon - neat!

As usual, I'm probably overthinking this... the actual exhaust has a pipe running parallel to the fuselage and the big pipe bends around it at the 'open end':

39662034881_8f4d5b1f92_n.jpg 38764976915_860e2e01a8_n.jpg

Exhaust 1 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I must stop zooming in to stuff and get some perspective! I think I might either go for your suggestions or make some copies of the (cleaned up) Airfix part and have a play. Maybe.

Bill you've made me think about the 'body scan' too. I'm waiting to hear from the guys after I emailed some queries but getting hold of some chubby, bearded, big-nosed pilots is becoming less attractive the more I think about it. I wonder if they can 'airbrush' the scan? Certainly I need some decent costume (thanks for the link Bill) but where can I hire a Mae West??!!

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

As above, looks like a Yak 3 and as noisy as a Mustang I guess ( saw one at the FMO on a Flying Legend show there).

But if you lived in NRW in the 70/80,  you really have experienced, what planes could wreck your nerves on sunny afternoons. My favourite is  this at low level test raids on lakes of the Sauerland then:

Thanks Benedikt :) Ooh, a Warthog! I like those... mainly after seeing a pair fly across the road in front of me some years ago. They went across the field at 'not very high' and the lower one, when he came to a line of trees, rather than gain height just flipped on his side so that the wing went between the trees. Those guys are nuts very skilled pilots!

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What?? Late again? Sorry!

I'll join Bill and co at the bar. A pint and a sausage roll sounds good right now! 

Carry on!

Ian

Welcome Ian - sausage rolls? Yum... :D

Thanks Tony - Harvard fans eh? They come in all shapes and sizes... and some of them are girls! :rofl2:

My 'Mr Decal Paper' white Inkjet stuff has arrived so I might play with the 'Wabbit' images some more so that's out of the way.

Internal bits have been de-sprued and dry fitted and I've translated the colours on the French Heller instructions - quoi? Mais oui, je parle le Francais un peu.

No, not like that, actually. I used a paint conversion chart on the Heller codes and... well, I think I get to use my Vallejo 'not RAF' Interior Green.

Also, my 'got from Amy Johnson's Jason Brunswick green' experience comes into play with the seats. Probably.

Crew selection also required as they need painting and that takes a while. Given that a scan on the 28th and four-to-six weeks printing delay might make ModelU too late.

• Like 4

I've had a mini-revelation this morning; I need to stop worrying about finishing the model and enjoy each of the steps, relaxing over the work. Better late than never eh?

Copying a decent(ish) exhaust then. Out with my old Dad's lino-engraving tools:

39663647081_12fd8e0009_z.jpg

Yes, I have lots of other scribers and things, but nostalgia sometimes wins :) Cut a slot with a #10a and blobbed with a black felt tip so that I can see what I'm cutting:

39663646811_56dc336d01_z.jpg

Gouge, cut, trim, sand and I have a hole:

39632879652_1801dc32aa_z.jpg

Out with the quick-setting two-part silicon molding stuff my daughter uses for ear molds:

39632879452_b45ed7fd0f_z.jpg

I know I need to leave that to go off and maybe apply some release agent otherwise the next lot will stick to it.

See, I do learn. Sometimes.

• Like 10

On 12/01/2018 at 6:25 AM, Biggles87 said:

Just managed to squeeze in at the back, bit of a crush in here.

So, formatting on a Spitfire in a Havard! I doubt I'll be able to match that unless SWMBO has another surprise for me.

John

" SWIMBO has another surprise for me " ...... 

In my experience that could be  

.... I've bought some wallpaper for the lounge ......

.... I think the diet you're going on will be good for you ......

but it would be nice if it was " here's the itinerary for your flight in a (aerolpane of your choice) ... !!

Hi Ced, breakneck speed again, I'm guessing tuesday in the RFI?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Bill you've made me think about the 'body scan' too. I'm waiting to hear from the guys after I emailed some queries but getting hold of some chubby, bearded, big-nosed pilots is becoming less attractive the more I think about it. I wonder if they can 'airbrush' the scan? Certainly I need some decent costume (thanks for the link Bill) but where can I hire a Mae West??!!

here should be ok

http://www.celebrityimpersonators.com/cp/maewest.html

• Haha 6

Thanks John - I have the same problem with Mrs B; she's started the year with a list of 'things we can do around the house together'. Are your thoughts in the right zone? Correct. All DIY, no re-enactments of 'those days'. Ho hum. Now, where's that picture of Mae West... :D

Hi Jon (and Bill). Sorry, should have been clearer. Fat exhaust is from the Airfix kit. If I mould another I still have a chance of building that too. If I sort out the canopies too.

More doings. It's been some time since I molded but I did remember that getting the flow and avoiding bubbles is key. I'll try the 'pre-load some and then force it through' method so I made some flow points:

38767331385_ca87d4f3b6_z.jpg

I'll leave that here for a while so that people can shout if it's not going to work. Two equal portions on the bench:

27885580129_76a017a794_z.jpg

Release agent applied, left to dry and then the top squidged on making sure to fill the hole first (I hope).

First coat of 'Light Brunswick Green' applied to the seats and other bits sprayed:

38955782184_dc6c761e59_n.jpg 39665242981_0bc4c45a3b_n.jpg

Lunchtime!

• Like 13