Beaufighter Crew Access With Torpedo Fitted

Des

Although WWII subjects are not my usual fare I built the Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.VI back in the late 1990s when it was first released because of the reviews it was receiving in magazines and was not disappointed as it was and still is an outstanding kit on which the main parts almost click together for life even when just dry fitting.

Recently when browsing through the local Hobbycraft with money burning a hole in my pocket and the need to buy something plastic before going home I picked up the the TF Mk.X and although nowhere ready to build it yet I have been wondering however did the crew manage to board it with the torpedo in place along the centreline?

I have a couple of books on the Beaufighter but nothing there really helps and it has left me wondering if they slid carefully and precariously along the spine for the pilot to drop in via the emergency hatch in the cockpit roof and the WT/gunner squeeze in head first past his gun or did they board in plenty of time before the sortie through their respective ventral hatches before the torpedo was fitted?

Can anyone knowledgeable on the type and the period throw some light on the subject?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, dogsbody said:

I do believe that the rear observers entry hatch would clear the torpedo when open.

Chris

After 50+ years of modelling I have eventually started to resist the temptation to open bags , remove parts from sprues and test fit parts as soon as I buy a kit and so when looking at the instructions and kit parts for the TFX while still sealed in their bags I had thought that both hatches might have been covered so thanks for the above and to all who answered.

Having had the need to cut back the stash somewhat forced upon me because of work just about to start in the attic I have spent hours checking that all the parts that I have removed from sprues over the years just to see how they look are still in their proper boxes and on occasion  searching (sometimes fruitlessly)  for parts that have gone adrift.     

13 hours ago, Des said:

After 50+ years of modelling I have eventually started to resist the temptation to open bags , remove parts from sprues and test fit parts as soon as I buy a kit ....I have spent hours checking that all the parts that I have removed from sprues over the years just to see how they look are still in their proper boxes and on occasion  searching (sometimes fruitlessly)  for parts that have gone adrift.     

Ah, the joys of zip-lock plastic bags.  I always have a few of these to hand whenever I open a kit to see how it fits/looks like.  So short of careless error, everything that belongs with the kit stays safely with the box, if sometimes neatly subdivided into relevant groups.  Of course, if one or more of the parts are required for another model, then tough.

• Like 1