Some comments on the RAAF options in the new Airfix Mustang announcements

David M

Given my slightly more than passing interest in RAAF Mustangs I was pleased to see that there were two RAAF marking options in the recent Airfix announcements. I was less pleased once I had examined the initial profiles published on the Airfix website. I hope that the profiles do not reflect the actual markings that will be issued with the kits. 

KH676 CV-A (Kit A05137)

I know of 12 views of KH676, all taken at Lavariano while 3RAAF was participating in the July 1945 victory flypast. All show the port side and nose and most are included in Southern Cross Mustangs. As far as I know there are no starboard side shots...but would love to see one!

Based on these photos the following are noteworthy:

• the spinner was light blue (not 3RAAF's usual MTO red)

• the white carburettor intake lip is not shown, nor are the patches of Medium Sea Grey and an unidentified dark colour showing through the white paint.

• overall it is a poor depiction of the 'RAF4' 'Firewall' scheme, notably:

• this scheme did not have any green on the engine cowlings.

• a block of green extended aft from the rear line of the cowlings; there was no grey immediately behind this line.

• the roughly vertical green/grey demarcation at the back of that block near trailing edge should be straighter at the top and bottom and should be slightly further aft so that it passes through the chamfered corners of the 'C' rather than down its leading edge.

• the demarcation line through the port roundel should be further aft and more vertical.

• the aerial mast should be green not grey.

• the green/grey demarcations under the tailplane should follow the panel lines, vertically at the back of the line above the jacking point and horizontally along the edge of the root fillet.

• the filler cap was over-painted in grey and is not red as depicted and it did not have the black dot shown immediately behind.

• the crocodile applied by 159 MU above the fin flash (port side only) is missing.

• the Firewall scheme was applied in the MTO and hence did not have the UK mandated yellow leading edges.

• the most common ordnance on 3RAAF Mustangs were bombs rather than drop tanks although the latter were used.

• KH676 had had its night flying exhaust shields removed and the exposed patches overpainted, probably in green.

• the exhaust shrouds had been removed, a common practice in 3RAAF.

• Its battery remained behind the pilot and hence it did not have the small intake on the inner wing root/cowling panel.

• the canopy shape shown on the side view is a California profile; KH676 actually had a Texas 3 profiled canopy, complete with its redundant and blanked off aerial fairlead.

• the code letter 'A' is too narrow and its horizontal stroke too broad. As a result the centre triangle is too small. It is also too far aft and too low: the lifting hole should intersect the bottom edge of the forward arm just behind its centre line.

• the other two  code letters are also positioned too low and should almost (but not quite) touch the skin line above them.

• the style of the serial is incorrect: it should be in the rounded 8" x 5" solid style not square and stencilled as shown.

• the fin flash is incorrectly positioned: it should have its rear edge hard against the rear edge of the fin and its lower front corner just touching the top of the root fillet.

• the main stars in the Southern Cross on the rudder were 4" in diameter and had seven points rather than the eight as depicted; Epsilon Crucis (the smaller star) was 3" in diameter and had five points rather than eight. All five are slightly out of position: the top and right hand stars (and the Epsilon Crucis) should be further aft; the bottom star should be higher and roughly in line with the tail light.

I will be interested to see if Airfix got the upper wing roundel diameter (48") correct for KH676  instead of repeating, yet again, the old furphy of the 40" roundel on RAF Mustangs.

Thankfully the Korean War era RAAF example in Kit A05136 seems to be a little more accurate to the original. Nonetheless there are a few, notably:

• the canopy should again be a Texas 3 with a blanked off aerial fairlead.

• the fin flash is too tall; its bottom edge should just touch the root fillet at the front

• The serial style is correct but should be positioned with it top edge just below the root fillet

• The stainless steel panel around the exhausts is only slightly darker than the adjacent natural metal fuselage panels

• A68-720 was fitted with rocket stubs and carried six and ten rounds at various times.

• Airfix has missed an opportunity here: earlier in its career 720 had far more attractive markings with 82 Squadron FA codes and their 'Pegasus' badge on the fin and both a natural metal and a dark blue painted spinner at various times.

David Muir

Author: Southern Cross Mustangs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Hi David,

although your detailed post on BM is great for us, may I suggest that approaching Airfix directly might also be worthwhile? They have responded positively when advised of potential issues with the Whitley, Blenheim and other kits.

Regards, Jeff

• Like 4

Hi David just to echo the point above- I emailed Airfix regarding some marking changes to the sea hurricane which they actioned. Supply them with some evidence and they will listen.

best regards

Nick

• Like 1