1/35 - Bell AH-1Z Viper by Academy - released - DEF Model gun metal barrel set

Homebee

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 4:45 PM, Homebee said:

I am glad I found this thread, I was going to create a new thread based solely on that review, which I found by accident on scalemates. Is it me, or is that the most thorough review with actual photos of the airframe depicted by this kit? I was absolutely floored by the level of detail contained in that review/walk around. I just hope that anybody who plans to build this kit, uses that link, it is just an amazing amount of details for a review.

Cheers, Anthony

I bought two of these kits , and both have cracked forward canopies . Due to it being moulded with no support frame no doubt . I have tried to get replacements and Academy aren't interested sadly . My retailer is now out of stock so it doenst look like I'll be starting mine anytime soon I just hope I can source the replacements  . I love the rest of the it though . I just wish the canopy sprue wasn't a Friday night afair.  If you buy this kit I urge you to check the long forward canopy moulding very carefully . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sonofjim said:

Academy aren't interested sadly

How can they "not be interested"? That's just ridiculous, they must know it is their responsibility to correct this, otherwise they will start losing orders online fast, I won't be buying one unless I find out very quickly from other people that this was an anomaly, not the norm. But to have two kits together with the same crack, sounds like an inherent flaw in the packing, so you are going to be the first of many contacting them with this complaint, that can't ignore everyone.

That is messed up, sorry yours are dead in the water.

Anthony

• Like 1

I'm very puzzled that Academy are not bothered by this. South Korean society has an ingrained "honour system" (similar to Japan's system) and this issue does not reflect well on the manufacturer at all. 

Academy need to put their hand in their pocket and issue anyone with a cracked canopy a brand-new, perfect replacement, free of charge....

Chris. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Academy need to put their hand in their pocket and issue anyone with a cracked canopy a brand-new, perfect replacement, free of charge.... 

Agreed, and with the early warning, they should be able to send these to their vendors in bulk, before it becomes a nightmare and they have thousands of wee weed off customers trashing their name.

This is a bad move on their part. Maybe there is a language issue, but they should be capable of handling customers that speak/write in English, it's the international language of business.

Let's hope someone there is reading this thread. I want to link this on my other forums as well, get the word out before it is too late.

Anthony

• Like 1

I would think that Academy are well equipped to deal with messages in English - for decades, they have been sending the kits around the world, after all.

I was planning to buy this kit. I might well hold tight for now and see what happens. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sonofjim said:

and both have cracked forward canopies

Can you do us a favor, take pics and upload them here, I have some other guys on a different forum that probably need to see this as well. I know that for me, the only way to get this kit is online orders, so I have to cross it off my list until I know for certain that any canopy issues will be handled accordingly.

Anthony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony , Chris . my apologies for not replying sooner gentlemen,  its been hectic for me recently  .

I have since had two further replacement canopy sprues and again both were cracked in the same spot . The cracks are alarmingly identical.  So I have no idea if its bad packing and and lack of support on the sprue . Or if this is happening when its knocked out of the mould ? 

I will upload pics of the others soon but for now this is the first one . 

20190509-223501.jpg

The second one .

20190509-223705.jpg

I have emailed Academy Europe and via messenger on facebook . They said contact Academy Korea or the seller and basically not to bother them . 

I emailed Academy Korea, they said they will see if they can help but not sure they can ... and will get back to me at some point IF  they can help .whatever THAT means .

And the shop I bought them from is now out of stock and frankly sick of hearing from me which I don't blame one bit . They must think I'm just hard to please .

Cheers . Jim.

This is my 4th response from Academy Global after my initial email .

All later replies have been an exact scripted template of this one . I haven't even had chance to give kit numbers or part numbers yet so how will they know what they're looking for ? 

20190509-224640.jpg

5 minutes ago, sonofjim said:

This is my 4th response from Academy Global after my initial email .

All later replies have been an exact scripted template of this one . I haven't even had chance to give kit numbers or part numbers yet so how will they know what they're looking for ? 

20190509-224640.jpg

At least you got a reply, I bought a kit a few years (5+actually)  ago, it sat in the stash for a while (years)  and I decided to have a go at building last year, found that a major part was missing and emailed them several times ..

Nada, not a dicky bird back from them. emailed the UK agent and the same. Gave up and will find another way to sort the problem, the kit by the time I was going to build it was OOP but it would of been nice to get a response and 

its now back in the catalogue.

Good luck with getting the canopy sorted out, it really looks a cracking kit.

Dan 

• Like 2

@sonofjim if I may suggest, if Academy doesn't get back to you or sends you a spare, just use the piece. I know it's annoying to find a part damaged on a brand new kit and you'd like to have it replaced, but if it's the same on all the canopies you've put your hands on, then there's no point in complaining any more.

The crack is also small, and won't be noticed by no one else except you. You could even try blending it in with the weathering and saying mud formed on the canopy after sand and heavy rain.

Or, wait and see if Revell or Italeri pick the kit up and ask them for a spare piece.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1