What the heck is this thing in the Lancaster's nose?

Procopius

So the other day, @TheBaron, speaking in jest, mentioned this on the Lancaster:

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You mean Screaming Face Mod.59367 ?

39601781361_ab62125119_o.jpg

Whatever it actually is, it appears to be a pair of googly eyes, and I was wondering what it really is, actually. Do any aftermarket firms make it, or are there detailed photos of it to allow one to fabricate it?

• Like 1

Its called Code named Z. The eyes were pair of lenses that could pick up radar signals from the rear turret of another Lancaster. This was part of the "Village  Inn"defensive system, also know as the AGLT- Automatic Gun Laying Turret.  A number of Lancaster rear turrets were converted to this system. A small radar transmitter was positioned below the turret and pivoted around as the turret traversed. I am not sure how many squadrons were actually equipped with these turrets, but it does appear that lots of Lancasters were fitted with the lenses, even though, they may not have actually had any AGLT's in their squadron. They were certainly retrofitted at MU's in the course of upgrades and new radios being fitted, as you can see, when you look at the centarian Lancasters.

The only set, I have seen in 1/72, is with the Flightpath etch set for the Airfix Lancaster. The set provides the two circles to apply to the bomb aimer's blister. I used Future to attach. I didn't bother with the internal cups, Depending on the Lancaster, you are building, it can also have the shallower, early nose blister, with code Z attached.

mrp

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, mrp said:

Its called Code named Z. The eyes were pair of lenses that could pick up radar signals from the rear turret of another Lancaster. This was part of the "Village  Inn"defensive system, also know as the AGLT- Automatic Gun Laying Turret.  A number of Lancaster rear turrets were converted to this system. A small radar transmitter was positioned below the turret and pivoted around as the turret traversed. I am not sure how many squadrons were actually equipped with these turrets, but it does appear that lots of Lancasters were fitted with the lenses, even though, they may not have actually had any AGLT's in their squadron. They were certainly retrofitted at MU's in the course of upgrades and new radios being fitted, as you can see, when you look at the centarian Lancasters.

The only set, I have seen in 1/72, is with the Flightpath etch set for the Airfix Lancaster. The set provides the two circles to apply to the bomb aimer's blister. I used Future to attach. I didn't bother with the internal cups, Depending on the Lancaster, you are building, it can also have the shallower, early nose blister, with code Z attached.

mrp

Thank you so much! I've heard a bit about Village Inn -- any further reading you particularly recommend?

8 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Also seen on 100 group's Fortresses as per the new Airfix kit, see Tony O'Toole's post linked here

Whoa, neat! I'm reading A Thousand Shall Fall right now, so that's rather germane to my interests -- don't suppose the kit represents that?

I think you may have some information in your library, given your recent Bomber Command purchases." Aircraft of 100 Group, a historical guide for the modeller" by Martin Streetly has some information on it. I think there maybe some more in "Confoundi and Destroy",, which I see you may have. There maybe also some in the Randall Wakeman book, about the science of Bomber Command,  but I  am not in front of my library at the moment, so I am going off memory. Certainly, I recommend the "Aircraft of the 100 Group", which is geared to modellers .

Sorry to add to your wants/needs list !

mrp

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mrp said:

I think you may have some information in your library, given your recent Bomber Command purchases." Aircraft of 100 Group, a historical guide for the modeller" by Martin Streetly has some information on it. I think there maybe some more in "Confoundi and Destroy",, which I see you may have. There maybe also some in the Randall Wakeman book, about the science of Bomber Command,  but I  am not in front of my library at the moment, so I am going off memory. Certainly, I recommend the "Aircraft of the 100 Group", which is geared to modellers .

mrp

Only one book, mercifully, as Wakeman's The Science of Bombing: Operational Research in RAF Bomber Command turned up "mysteriously" (to my wife) at our front door yesterday, and I do indeed have Confound and Destroy. So I just need Aircraft of 100 Group. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Whoa, neat! I'm reading A Thousand Shall Fall right now, so that's rather germane to my interests -- don't suppose the kit represents that?

No, and it's not in the Eduard set for the Fortress III nose either

10 minutes ago, mrp said:

mrp

Shown in Aircraft of 100 Group p74 and id'd as infra red source. Haven't spotted a mention in confound and destroy.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Even I'm tempted by a 100 Group Fortress.  :thumbsup:

As you should be. And re: the IR lights, a use for my tiny punch and die set finally presents itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1