Aoshima McLaren f1 gtr long tail

shood23

I've been pondering what to make my first build of 2018 and this is something that's been near the top of the pile since I bought it not to long ago. 

As seem obligatory these days the box shot. 

20180110_162727

A brief look into the a kit that I've made in the past with relatively good result. This was completed in January of 2016/5 I think so the experience has improved since then I hope.

2018-01-10_06-14-15

From the above kit I am now pretty aware of the areas that need a little more care and also areas where I myself can improve. 

So for this current attempt at this model I managed to pick the kit up rather cheaply from eBay as it had no decals but as it was the same kit as the finished fina car above I still have the majority of the decals left with only the rear gtr one and 1 other missing. 

20180110_163203

Right so then it was the mindset of I have this kit now what to do with it? Test car? Another race version to go with the fina car and soon the be made gulf version? I couldn't make my mind up, then as I was half way through the Liberty Walk Nissan GT-R I came across a set of carbon decals that cover the whole exterior in a carbon wrap. 

20180110_162803

So that the plan. A full carbon McLaren f1 gtr, possibly with the yellow and pink decals on aswell but I won't make that call until the body is finished. 

The set includes 4 sheets of pre printed templates to cut of that from what I can see covers most of the car in carbon, there are a few bits not on the sheets(or maybe I just haven't found them yet) but these bits will be easy to make myself with the leftover parts of sheet. 

20180110_162835

Now on to the plastic. The shell is as nicely moulded as it was the first time with no really bad bits to clean up. 

20180110_163039

I need to decide if I should just glue the rear parts on for the engine cover or maybe detail the engine bay a little. 

20180110_163133

And then finally for the first update I need to decide whether or not to cut out the front hatch to show the details underneath that incuded in the kit. I guess if I do the rear it would be silly not to do the front and vice versa. Also in this picture you will notice that I have started to clean up the few mould lines that are on the body and filled the small dips with ca glue ready to be sanded off very soon. 

2018-01-10_05-46-54

I think body work wise this kit will move pretty quick as it is only going a gloss black after primer with then the whole raft of decals to put on. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

So I thought when I started this I would smash through to painting really quickly but family, work and a stinking cold have got in the way so here is the progression up until now. 

I made my mind up about the front hatch. Out came the scriber and I made a hole. 

20180118_190140

The actual hatch part will have some extra material added around the edge as a 1 mm gap in this scale would equate to an inch gap each side in real scale. 

20180118_190150

Just to see how much will be shown once done 

20180118_190241

Also as you have probably seen in the previous pictures I needed to add some epoxy putty as I filed down one side too much. Also i have now added one thin strip of plastic to the hatch piece and maybe leave it as is now just with the paint and decals closing the gap up more. 

20180118_190733

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right so finally I've had a little time to concentrate on playing with plastic. 

So I made a start at getting the little hatch support in place. Aswell as trying to decide on the roof scoop I want in place. So the choice was this one with which kind of stands alone.

20180124_214314

Or this one that has supports to each side. 

20180124_214336

Also this is the main reason my images haven't been great lately. I've been working on getting a proper photo cube set up from an old box and lights. It will look better in a few days after some paint and my card roll finally turns up from that jungle online retailer, was ment to be next day it's now 4 days late 😠😠

20180124_170216

But in the mean time I made my mind up of what roof scoop to use, the one without sides won only due to the f1 I have already made and the next one I will be making all has the side supported one. Also you may notice the body has had a coat of primer. 

20180129_150311

As has the doors and all the engine covers and hatches, basically anything I'm going to want to add carbon to at the same time. 

20180129_150336

And being me I wanted a mock up. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't add more material to widen the front hatch as it will be very tight once paint and decals have been applied now. You may also spot the doors are not a great fit, these parts bend with no effort what so ever so will be a quick effort later on. 

20180129_150355

A quick knock back just to take any high spots off and I can get some black paint on. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Small update for this build. 

After letting dry for a few days I started knocking off any high points in the primer.

Body. 

20180129_172523

Panels. 

20180129_172552

After this parts were painted in black. This is after 1 coat. 1 more just to bring up the shine will be needed. 

2018-02-01_11-29-04

Once the paint has had around a week to fully cure I will start the long process of adding all those lovely carbon decals. 

Shaun  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So finally a slightly late update to this. 

So I made a start to the monster carbon decal work. They area little tricky in places but with a bit of Microsol and a hairdryer they lay down quite well. 

20180207_133802

This top area was the 3rd decal put on and frankly it worried me as there were a few more curves in this area than the 2 side bits. But it went down  really well. 

20180207_133755

The most rear hatch was next up and did need a little more patience than the side areas as I needed to get the centre line centre

20180207_133829

Left all above to dry for a day as I didn't just want to power on and mess more up by rushing. Then came back and took on probably the second most worrying area for me, the rear bumper, due to it having every type of curve going. The top side went fine. 

20180209_134413

But then on the side right in the curve I was worried about I touched the decal by accident after microsol went on it and I stretched the decal. Not a big issue but annoying nevertheless. 

20180209_134400

Above annoyed me a little so I left this side to start on the other. 

20180210_124248

Then it happened again. I broke the decal above the rear window area in 2 places. 

20180211_124136

That was it for me that day, I just left it before i screwed up anymore. 

A few days later I came back and fixed the broken decal to the point it doesn't look too bad. 

20180212_154922

Then the rear bumper decal for this side went on and thankfully there was no problems this time. 

20180212_154914

All the rear covers have had the decals applied now and all are as centre as can be. 

20180212_155020

And finally the door has had all decals applied. There was ment to be 2 to make this up but due to worrying about snapping the decal in the wrong place I cut them up into 4 bits to make it easier. 

20180212_155054

That's it for now but next is the bit I'm not looking forward to, the front end. 

Shaun 

• Like 4

On 20/02/2018 at 11:32 PM, gamblor916 said:

Doing an all carbon body is tedious but very satisfying. What is the fit of the templates like?

The scale motorsport set is alot better than I ever imagined it would be. Some of the templates were a little off and most are slightly bigger than the part the go on but any oversized bits are sorted with a sharp blade or the just roll over the edges and are hidden away. The front area If it were me I would have broken up into more than 2 bits just for ease of installing (you'll see why in my next update) but other than that any bad bits on the car are mainly my fault not the decal. 

Shaun 

So a little more progress to this. 

The front end has had all the carbon decals added. As expected it wasn't a straight forward task as i eludedto in my last comment, the wheel arches folded up like crazy and would have left nasty stretch marks all over had I just tried to manipulate the decals flat so I cut around the panel line and redone with extra parts then the very top edges just under the windscreen did the same as the were curbing one way and around also so 2 more new bits for that. So what scale motorsport gives with 2 bit really I couldn't do with less than 6. 

20180214_100953

All the slots were cut with a sharp blade and thankfully none of them messed up. 

20180214_101053

Both doors are now finished and ready to be sealed. 

20180214_101154

Now on to some of the annoying parts. as I spent so much time fiddling with the wheel arches and the top areas on the front carbon bits I hadn't noticed the massive fold just below the front hatch. 

20180214_100959

After trying to unstuck the decal with massive amounts of Microsol to the point this happened. Empty bottle😠 It wasn't going to work. 

20180221_155911

I made drastic decision to sand it back and redo 

20180221_155806

And now with a whole new bit that covers quite alot of the front left side of the car (front right in the picture) 

20180221_185304

And that was that I am calling the main body done for decals. 

20180221_185457

So out came the Mr top coat gloss and on it went. The lights don't do the picture justice, they show bits you can't see with the eye. 

20180222_185856

All the other finished parts were also covered in clear. 

20180222_190130

Now while all that has a few days to gas off it's on to carbon decals on some of the other areas of the car. 

So the front splitter. Given the curves on this I was expecting the same as the front end bits but I guess as this is over a smaller area it made it easier to work with. 

20180222_184805

The rear wing has caused some headaches as the carbon wraps around so I am having to so one half, clear coat then do the other half and clear coat again. 

20180222_184751

And finally the little bits that go on the doors have had carbon applied also. 

20180222_184846

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 6

On 25/02/2018 at 2:27 AM, gamblor916 said:

Nice work on the carbon. I've found a coat of smoke hides a lot of sins.

I did think about some smoke but I found on a test peice that a semi gloss or Matt coat really takes the edge off the effect without darkening the colours. But after I finish this next stage I will make my mind up definitely what I am going to do. 

Shaun 

• 9 months later...

Any updates? As you know I got a fair way through mine before having to move 2 years ago and now have a chance to continue. I went the black box version and did the whole tub in carbon fibre.....wow painstaking work!

I'm building a Nissan Silvia at the moment to practice on before finishing my F1.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046625-fresh-start-fujimi-nissan-silvia-htrs/

Edited by Homerlovesbeer