Jump to content

If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

giemme

It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Found a picture in a book -(how quaintly old fashioned am I?!)  that might help for ailerons. Showing Red internals.

 

Only on the initial test aircraft!

 

Gene K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, massimo said:

Great start Giorgio!!!

I love all the work you've done to match the resin cockpit to the fuselage halves!!!

That cannon housing is simply outstanding!!!:yes:

Cheers Massimo, thank you :thumbsup:

 

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

31 Years between the Engine shop, Flight line (Crew Chief) and being the base Engine Manager. Still miss working on them!! Any questions you have please ask.

Wow, that's a long time! :thumbsup: I will ask a few questions about painting for the moment, if you don't mind: the kit instructions call for white for the U/C bays and  while looking at walkarounds of the A-10A in Euro 1 scheme, they all look more a light grey to me. Can you shed some light here?

Also, what would be the color for the inside of the retractable ladder bay and for the avionics bay?

TIA
 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gene K said:

 

Only on the initial test aircraft!

 

Gene K

Thanks! :thumbsup:  @boom175 cleared that up, too.

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, giemme said:

 

 

Wow, that's a long time! :thumbsup: I will ask a few questions about painting for the moment, if you don't mind: the kit instructions call for white for the U/C bays and  while looking at walkarounds of the A-10A in Euro 1 scheme, they all look more a light grey to me. Can you shed some light here?

Also, what would be the color for the inside of the retractable ladder bay and for the avionics bay?

TIA
 

Ciao

When they were Euro one camo, the wheel wells and actually the struts of the landing gear were "ADC Grey" FS 16473. As well as the interior of the ladder door well and the inside of the door itself. All the avionics bays were 16473 same as the inside of the panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, boom175 said:

When they were Euro one camo, the wheel wells and actually the struts of the landing gear were "ADC Grey" FS 16473. As well as the interior of the ladder door well and the inside of the door itself. All the avionics bays were 16473 same as the inside of the panels.

Excellent, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, boom175 said:

31 Years between the Engine shop, Flight line (Crew Chief) and being the base Engine Manager. 

 

Great that you're here "boom", to keep everything in order!! All your time  at Warfield ANG Base

 

I do have a question (for starters): Where is the transducer that actuates the slats -- the one that the crew chief operates during checks?

 

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of questions too for those "in the know": what are these sensors on the nose?

76th_tfs_a_10a_nose sensors

 

and this pod underneath the nose?

A-10-A Nose pod

 

Looking at various pics, it looks like they are not present together, and I even saw one pic (of an A-10C though) in which both were missing.

The first one I just posted it's of the airframe I'm modelling, but I haven't got a starboard side view to check if that pod was there.

Bottom line, the kit has the pod but not the sensors, so I'm just trying to figure if I only need to add them or I also need to remove the pod.

 

TIA

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@giemme ... I believe they're Different radar warning recievers for Sam launches. The block replaced the dot version if im not mistaken ? The eyeball/dot system was created during, and upgraded after Vietnam in the ‘70 s and early’80’s. The block style came on in the ‘80’s or maybe early ‘90’s. I think they've been changed again since the current fracas in the sandboxes has been going on. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giemme said:

I have a couple of questions too for those "in the know": what are these sensors on the nose?

I'm not really "in the know", but ... AN/ALR-46 .

 

See this link for a quickie visual (use "translate").  Note the additional antennae for the AN/ALR-64, so depends on the airframe you are modelling as to what is showing. Also some good stuff in this multi part series here as regards other early/late mods.

 

I'm sure the experts will be able to help!!

 

Gene K

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be giving you the trivial answer.... they do make great nostrils, don't they?

That plane in the second pic just doesn't look complete!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@giemme ... I believe they're Different radar warning recievers for Sam launches. The block replaced the dot version if im not mistaken ? The eyeball/dot system was created during, and upgraded after Vietnam in the ‘70 s and early’80’s. The block style came on in the ‘80’s or maybe early ‘90’s. I think they've been changed again since the current fracas in the sandboxes has been going on. 

 

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

I'm not really "in the know", but ... AN/ALR-46 .

 

See this link for a quickie visual (use "translate").  Note the additional antennae for the AN/ALR-64, so depends on the airframe you are modelling as to what is showing. Also some good stuff in this multi part series here as regards other early/late mods.

 

I'm sure the experts will be able to help!!

 

Gene K

 

 

Thanks both :thumbsup:  So, reading through Gene's links, if I want to reproduce a Gulf war era aircraft, it looks like I need to remove both the box radar warning receivers and put the dot ones on the nose and tail.

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Sorry to be giving you the trivial answer.... they do make great nostrils, don't they?

That plane in the second pic just doesn't look complete!

They do :D And the picture I have of the aircraft I'm modelling shows them, luckily :)

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, Gene K said:

 

Great that you're here "boom", to keep everything in order!! All your time  at Warfield ANG Base

 

I do have a question (for starters): Where is the transducer that actuates the slats -- the one that the crew chief operates during checks?

 

Gene K

Yep! Thats where I was! The transducer is just out board of the L/H MLG sponson or "pod" it is pretty small probably 2"X2" its unpainted as it is a heated surface (it comes on when the pilot selects pitot heat )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2018 at 12:36 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Is there any kit or A M version of the ammo loading apparatus that's used to service the monster?

IMG_20180116_233200

It's pretty unique, and would make a great add-on.

 

PS. I'm sure you've sussed it already, but go maximum with nose- weight. You could well be dealing with the most tail-sitting model airframe of them all.

Flight path do an etch dragon reloaded.... 

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17777&cat=252&page=1

It's 1/48 though. 

Brilliant work giemme. I can't wait to see the finished results. 

 

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Matt, thank you :thumbsup:

 

I don't think I'll attempt a diorama, right now I'm leaning towards a parked aircraft with open canopy, deployed boarding ladder, open avionics bay (but I haven't found a close up pic of that yet) and RBF tags.

Before taking the final decision, however, I still have to investigate the feasibility of moving the moveable parts and finding a crew chief figure - which would also mean I have to think of a suitable base.

:hmmm:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all.

I'm a newly registered member here but followed this forum with high interest for a long time as a reading guest.

But now it was time to register here, partly because you giemme started building a project I currently have at my workbench.

(I'm building a unit of the 74th TFS that also took part in Op. Desert Storm).

I have been collecting photos and information about the A-10 und its EL units like crazy.

As I have been following this thread, I have noticed that here and there emerged questions. Or there are infos that could be helpful for a optimum result.

 

Did you know this resource?

Link

 

Very important information, because often the infos in books are vague and sometimes they even contradict each other. I believe that this loadout scheme is very credible as it underlines pictures of the real thing:

Link

 

Look at the bottom of the drawings:

Link

 

Another important thing:

Compare the color scheme on the Italeri instructions sheet of the unit your are building with the real thing.

Italeri says that these colors will be needed: FS34082, FS36118 and FS34102.

The European 1 scheme on the A-10s consists of FS34092, FS36081 and FS34102.

I don't know if the unit you are building has different colors, but I doubt that.

 

Cheers

Edited by Sting67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×