It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

1 hour ago, giemme said:

normally lasts only a couple of days for me, which in this case coincided with the weekend, though ... :(

Me too after my last week one on the weekend at it's peak  Won't whine on it anymore, but it was heaviest since my last one ten years ago for sure. Still in my bones now somewhere. So get well soon.  Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
some curious english by me
  • Thanks 1

Hi Giorgio. Sorry you've not been well but the progress generally looks really good despite the gappy areas! I'm sure you’ll have no problem sorting them!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Nice to see a tank being built in the wingy section.....Love the little detail touches and all the scatches & dinks, proper tank modelling that is!  :thumbsup:

PS - This picture:

a_10_thunderbolt_front_shark.jpg

Should be captioned:  "Feed me fast.....Places to go, people to kill!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Me too after my last week one on the weekend at it's peak  Won't whine on it anymore, but it was heaviest since my last one ten years ago for sure. Still in my bones now somewhere. So get well soon.  Cheers Benedikt

Vielen Dank, Benedikt :) 

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Sorry you've not been well but the progress generally looks really good despite the gappy areas! I'm sure you’ll have no problem sorting them!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank Stix :thumbsup: BTW, see The Serge comment here, looks like I've been building a tank without even knowing it, so your suggestion was somewhat received :D :D 

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice to see a tank being built in the wingy section.....Love the little detail touches and all the scatches & dinks, proper tank modelling that is!  :thumbsup:

PS - This picture:

Should be captioned:  "Feed me fast.....Places to go, people to kill!"

:D Yep, pretty evocative picture, it sure shows some temper :wink:  Thanks for the appreciation - this is probably as close as will ever get to building a tank model, though :shrug::) 

6 hours ago, massimo said:

Looking great!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!:clap:

Cheers Massimo, thanks! :thumbsup: 

An update on Operation Gap Filling will follow soon :)

Ciao 

Ok, Operation Gap Filling completed, mission accomplished (I think :) )

As anticipated, I used some 0.2mm styrene strips to fill in the bigger gaps, gluing it in with Tamiya Green Cap

dav

The strip used in the nose area was previously tapered using my scraping gizmo, to fit the "triangular" gap

dav

The remaining gaps were filled in with CA+talc mix; after much scraping, sanding, filing and polishing (using almost all the tools I have for the job: ETS, scraping gizmo, sanding block, diamond files, regular sand paper various grades and a nail polishing stick) here's the end result: no more gap starboard

dav

nor ridge

dav

same on bottom side

dav

dav

and port side

dav

Now I just need to reinstate some panel lines that went lost in the process - albeit comparatively very few, considering the amount of plastic and filler I had to remove ... 

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2018 at 8:03 AM, giemme said:

I've been thinking on how to replicate those dents on plastic

This topic has been quietly exercising my mind for several months now Giorgio.

Already tried hitting plastic with various hammers in order largely to discover that plastic doesn't behave at all like metal...:doh::lol:

Will try heat next....

Consummate work on getting those gaps dealt with! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice neat gap filling G, good work! :thumbsup:

K

Thanks K! :thumbsup: I must admit I am pretty happy myself

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

This topic has been quietly exercising my mind for several months now Giorgio.

Already tried hitting plastic with various hammers in order largely to discover that plastic doesn't behave at all like metal...:doh::lol:

Will try heat next....

Consummate work on getting those gaps dealt with! :thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: It was a bit of a chore, actually, but not that much as I anticipated.

And yes, plastic definitely doesn't behave like metal :D

As soon as I glue the nose in, I'll choose a sacrificial bit of plastic on which practicing heat, drill bits, sharp blades, blunt blades and anything else comes to mind to reproduce those dents :pilot:

52 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Very nice work Giemme on the gaps.

And as you said, not much re-scribing to do either.

Simon.

PS How is the cold?

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Doing much better now, thank you - almost sorted :)

Ciao

Nice fix on the gaps. Looks very concvincing. :goodjob::goodjob:  Good to hear you feel better, but be careful. This year it's a hard one here and wouldn't stop at any border. I can only say what's going on  here at the moment. And I know how it ripped me unexpected more or less till now.

By the way sax and oboe sound very easing on my body with a good rhythm  (Mainly/mostly with some jazz bits). Keybords and grand piano on "classic" things will also do their part to get me in the right direction again. Just two examples ( not my resources; thanks internet!) But I remember the music and things I've grown up with and the good things will always stay in our minds.  Maybe you like them, maybe not. I do and I have some memories on that. ( Ok, not L.A., but it wouldn't be my first class residence at all!! For that Lake Möhne, Münster or Hamburg or even Berlin would be a better choice for me)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bbudde said:

Nice fix on the gaps. Looks very concvincing. :goodjob::goodjob:  Good to hear you feel better, but be careful. This year it's a hard one here and wouldn't stop at any border. I can only say what's going on  here at the moment. And I know how it ripped me unexpected more or less till now.

By the way sax and oboe sound very easing on my body with a good rhythm  (Mainly/mostly with some jazz bits). Keybords and grand piano on "classic" things will also do their part to get me in the right direction again. Just two examples ( not my resources; thanks internet!) But I remember the music and things I've grown up with and the good things will always stay in our minds.  Maybe you like them, maybe not. I do and I have some memories on that. ( Ok, not L.A., but it wouldn't be my first class residence at all!! For that Lake Möhne, Münster or Hamburg or even Berlin would be a better choice for me)

Thanks Benedikt :thumbsup: Jazz isn't really my stuff, although as a guitar student, my teacher would challenge me with jazz songs to learn (Jaco Pastorius' The Chicken was one of the most challenging)  :frantic: I'm more of a blues/rock'n'roll kind of guy.

34 minutes ago, matteo44 said:

Hi Giorgio...

Very nice work!

Congratulations :clap:

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, giemme said:

(Jaco Pastorius' The Chicken was one of the most challenging)  :frantic: I'm more of a blues/rock'n'roll kind of guy.

Jaco Pastorious sounds pretty cool. Like it and big bands of course. Maybe it's because Santana's Abraxis was my first LP with nine or ten. And for music I took what I could get. So I have no real music taste in one direction. Too much different things I like ( and a few I really don't like: classic german Volksmusik/ Operette especially Wagner, Speed and trash metal and bad musicanship) .

Anyway, everytime  d'accord with this sadly missed guy:

Ps. I don't want to interfere this thread with my music. So I hope you don't mind. Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Hi everybody, time for a WE progress report :) 

Where were we? Ah, yes, after some good music, courtesy of our friend Benedikt :thumbsup: , it was time to rescribe the few panel lines that got lost in fairing in the front gear bay:

dav

dav

the nose is only blue-tacked in place, enough to see it needs attentions ... :frantic: 

dav

dav

dav

the gun fairing is obviously the worst part of it.

I glued it in using Tamiya Green Cap, and while setting I installed the HUD. CA gel used here

dav

dav

dav

While I was at it, I also glued in the windshield

dav

A few drops of CA gel to set it in position, and once cured, I used a pointy brush to let Tamiya Green Cap flow along the joint. In this case, this was enough to completely seal the gap.

dav

dav

Back to the nose; after much sanding

dav

dav

dav

TBH, the nose shape is quite incorrect, and I thought about fixing it, but judging from pics of the real thing it looks like the problem can't be fixed by just reshaping the very tip of the nose; my take is that, starting from immediately fore of the windshield, the whole top part of the fuselage should have a steeper angle, if that makes sense. So I decided I can live with that :shrug: 

Gun fairing: I used a very thin (0.1mm) yogurt cup cutout and glued it in (well, almost melted in) with Tamiya Green Cap

dav

and after some TLC and a bit of CA as filler

dav

Now, the A-10 gun fairing has some distinctive features, that you can see here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYHDqwMjVxNkdBdDBtqra

So I first used some thin styrene strip (usual 0.1mm from yogurt cup), glued in with Tamiya Green Cap and refined using various sanding devices

dav

Then some alu adhesive tape

dav

And finally, I carved one groove per side (very carefully, because I previously had to reduce the thickness of that gun fairing to wafer-thin, to be able to accommodate the Master gun)

dav

dav

Then I glued in place two strips of ... guess what ... 0.1mm styrene form a yogurt cup :wink: :D 

dav

dav

I will trim them once properly cured.

Last thing for the day, the windshield needed to be faired in, so out with PPP and a moist microfiber towel

dav

dav

This will very likely need some touch ups, but I'll check that with the prime coat.

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 19

That's a good update Giorgio, she's coming along nicely! I do like your creative use of yogurt cups!

I do hate to mention this though - but I think your little pilot will have great difficulty seeing through that black windshield....:whistle: :lol:

I have my :coat:and am just leaving....:door:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a good update Giorgio, she's coming along nicely! I do like your creative use of yogurt cups!

I do hate to mention this though - but I think your little pilot will have great difficulty seeing through that black windshield....:whistle: :lol:

I have my :coat:and am just leaving....:door:

Keith

Thanks K! :thumbsup:  The black windshield is the new anti-glare, anti-UV protection screen, never heard of that?? :clown:  :D  :D  

2 hours ago, massimo said:

Veeeeery nice work on that nose...and everywhere else , of course!!

She's really taking shape!!!

:yes:

Cheers Massimo, thank you :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely nose job, Giorgio!

Ian

Thanks Ian, trying my best :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Great shape. Looking the part Giorgio. Nice update also. Cheers

Cheers Benedikt, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Fine touches around the nose area Giemme.

I keep pinching myself to realizing that she is 1/72.

The Cockpit windscreen looks slightly overdone with the tint though LOL

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: As for the tint, see above what I told Keith, it's a new technology ... :D 

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fine details and yogurt cups, a true Giemme build.

I need to keep up with the tradition, don't I? :D 

Ciao

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I was wondering, would a crème brullee tub work OK, or does it have to be yogurt?😉

Definitely yogurt :rofl::rofl:

In all seriousness, most of the yogurt cups on the market are made from PS (polystyrene), to wit the same plastic of injection moulded kits. This means you can glue them with Tamiya Green Cap or any other kind of regular styrene cement.

Other packaging materials are used for different products (such as PP-polypropylene, or PET) and you can have a hard time gluing them in ... 

Ciao

• Like 3