It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

Hi everybody;

looks like springtime exploded, all at a sudden. Temperatures beyond season average (26°C here), beautiful sunny sky and all of that .... so the WE went much into lawn mowing, sun bathing and BBQ :) :whistle::coolio: 

In the spare time left, here's what I did:

the tail fins were properly secured with some CA, and after sanding some PPP applied. Top:

dav

Bottom:

dav

Once dried, I refined it with the usual makeup brush

dav

dav

dav

dav

And there she is, in her current status

dav

Time to tackle the engines. Here' the first thing that puzzled me: I wasn't able to determine the external color for the exhaust cones. Some pictures show them camouflaged, some others seems to show a dark and flat metallic finish.

I have no clear reference for the subject I'm modelling, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile, I painted the internal part and the turbine faces with Model Master Titanium Metallizer, using the brush technique

dav

I didn't care about removing the injection pin marks, they are going to be totally invisible once the two halves are joined together.

The turbine faces received a Lifecolor Natural Metal drybrush and a black tempera wash

dav

I also glued the two halves of the cones but forgot to take pics :chair:

While waiting for them to cure, here's next issue: the compressor faces

dav

Apart from the nice (not!) little hole right in the middle of the central cone, the blade count is wrong: they should be 28, but Italeri actually molded 32.

And the engines are such a prominent feature in the overall look of an A-10, so I have to come up with a solution for this.

Which one?

Stay tuned, soon on these screens ...

:devil:

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 11

Waiting with baited breath for your solution. 

Yes Spring has arrived here too, the temperatures doubled in three days ( up to 37C in the sun on Friday and Saturday. The horses didn't know what had hit them, they still hadn't completely lost all of their winter coats!

keep up the good work

Johm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Which one?

Mine would have been not to count them in the first place...!! :whistle: :D

Airframe is looking very nice G, every inch a 'Hog!

29 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The horses didn't know what had hit them, they still hadn't completely lost all of their winter coats!

Same in Hampshire too John - up to 27-28 last week, so daughter spent much of the weekend clipping her beast and grand-daughters pony. Forecast for this week is temps back down to 12-13 C - they won't know what's hit them again!!

Keith

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Waiting with baited breath for your solution. 

Yes Spring has arrived here too, the temperatures doubled in three days ( up to 37C in the sun on Friday and Saturday. The horses didn't know what had hit them, they still hadn't completely lost all of their winter coats!

keep up the good work

Johm

Thanks John :thumbsup:  37°C ??? That's a lot, even in the sun! :frantic: Poor horses ... :( 

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

If you go down that mad route of changing from 32 to 28 blades, may I suggest you visit a doctor...:mental:

Stuart

You might have a point ... :rofl:  :rofl: 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Mine would have been not to count them in the first place...!! :whistle: :D

Airframe is looking very nice G, every inch a 'Hog!

Cheers K, thanks, you lazy boy :D  :D 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Same in Hampshire too John - up to 27-28 last week, so daughter spent much of the weekend clipping her beast and grand-daughters pony. Forecast for this week is temps back down to 12-13 C - they won't know what's hit them again!!

27-28 in Hampshire it's even more surprising that John's Southern France heat :frantic:  And again, poor ponies, especially after the incoming temperature drop ...

46 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

You could have got away with this but now that we know....!

Model is looking good.

Thanks Scimitar :thumbsup: As for the blades, each and every review about this Italeri kit mentions that .... :shrug:

To tell you - and the others - the truth, it's not much (or not only) about the blades count; the kit parts just don't look right, sort of lacking proper depth, if you know what I mean. So I liked the idea of tarting up a bit this area, being it so prominent.

I should have said, before even mentioning this issue, that my idea can well end up in a huge pile of crap - in which case, the Quickboost resin replacement could come in handy :wink:  - but I've seen the compressor blades scratch built for a 1/48 kit, so all I'm doing is just trying to downsize it ....

Ciao

• Like 5

I took two quick pictures of the dry-fitting of the Italeri (left) and Hasegawa (right) engine assembly to show you the difference of all fans.

The pics are not the best but should help to see what everything looks like.

Front shot. In both cases the left fan is from Quickboost. The right fan is from Italeri (left assembly) and Hasegawa (right assembly).

39838888740_235a108905_o.jpgk-P1110669 by Ramon Gomez, auf Flickr

Same here from a slightly different angle.

39838886270_45ebf3b510_o.jpgk-P1110670 by Ramon Gomez, auf Flickr

Note, that the Quickboost fan looks much better but doesn't seem to have the right depth either.

I see two different solutions:

1. To get two sets of Quickboost fans, hollowing one pair of the fan bay out while carefully extracting the fans from the second set. Then adjusting the depth of the hollowed set and attaching the isolated fans to the depper engine bay.

2. To scratchbuild the single fan blades with very thin sheet styrene or, why not, a yoghurt cup :D

I can't understand why none of the aftermarket producers still didn't offer a solution. Should be easy to launch photoetched fan blades for the most important engines.

Ramon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are, as they say, on the horns of a dilemma Giorgio. I see that they've helpfully numbered the fan blades in this shot from Wikipedia:

2560px-Paris_Air_Show_2015_150618-F-RN21

The Quickboost fans Ramon posted above  certainly look much more the part if you can accommodate these....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

As for the engines, maybe a beer can or three?

Maybe Simon, but you probably will have 64 or 56 later then:drunk: and not 28. :whistle: . Cheers.

The Quickboost are a good alternative, I think, Giorgio. Cheers again

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

And the engines are such a prominent feature in the overall look of an A-10, so I have to come up with a solution for this.

Which one?

Might I suggest FOD covers. 

1 hour ago, Sting67 said:

I can't understand why none of the aftermarket producers still didn't offer a solution. Should be easy to launch photoetched fan blades for the most important engines.

Because a number of modelers will probably add FOD covers to make it easier ? 

• Haha 3

Giorgio, I think your figure painting skills could be called on here - if you use the Quickboost fans and use your shading techniques I'm sure you could get a fine impression of depth like the fan in Tony's picture......

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe some modelers take that easier solution. It's a question of tastes. I don't like FOD covers for the majority of planes I build. First I try the difficult but, to me, better looking appearance.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Note, that the Quickboost fan looks much better but doesn't seem to have the right depth either.

I see two different solutions:

1. To get two sets of Quickboost fans, hollowing one pair of the fan bay out while carefully extracting the fans from the second set. Then adjusting the depth of the hollowed set and attaching the isolated fans to the depper engine bay.

2. To scratchbuild the single fan blades with very thin sheet styrene or, why not, a yoghurt cup :D

Ramon

Cheers Ramon, thank you very much for the comparison shots. When I mentioned depth, I meant it in terms of the Italeri fan blades not being 3D enough; in that respect, Quikboost's look much better, but also their relative position to th front of the intake seems just about right - whereas Italeri  molded them too far back into the engine nacelle, IMO.

What really sets out from your pics is the "spinner" (I don't know the correct name for a jet fan, but the conic thing in the middle): I hadn't noticed how far off was the Italeri once until compared to the Quickboost. And that part is going to be quite hard to scratchbuild .... :hmmm:

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The main body is looking good my friend.

As for the engines, maybe a beer can or three? :drink::drink:.

Simon.

:D  I thought of that too, Simon :thumbsup: 

16 hours ago, Courageous said:

Those Quickboost fans have the correct number of blades too.:coat:

You keep having a point ... :hmmm::D 

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You are, as they say, on the horns of a dilemma Giorgio. I see that they've helpfully numbered the fan blades in this shot from Wikipedia:

2560px-Paris_Air_Show_2015_150618-F-RN21

The Quickboost fans Ramon posted above  certainly look much more the part if you can accommodate these....

Thanks Tony, I might be leaning on one side of the edge ...

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Maybe Simon, but you probably will have 64 or 56 later then:drunk: and not 28. :whistle: . Cheers.

The Quickboost are a good alternative, I think, Giorgio. Cheers again

Thanks Benedikt, they definitely are ...

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Cheers Dennis, thanks :thumbsup: - but FOD covers are out of question, I just don't like them. I would consider them only if there was no viable alternative.

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Giorgio, I think your figure painting skills could be called on here - if you use the Quickboost fans and use your shading techniques I'm sure you could get a fine impression of depth like the fan in Tony's picture......

Keith

Thank Keith :thumbsup: Yes, I'm strongly considering that idea ...

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice work on the gaps and good luck with the blades. :lol:

Jont.

Cheers J, thanks! :thumbsup:

Well, I decided I'll place an order for the Quickboost fan blades  - what really made me decide is the shape of the central cone (can anybody help with the name, here? thks :) ), along with all the other features many of the estimated BM members pointed put :thumbsup:

Plenty of stuff still to do while I wait for them, so keep watching this space :wink:

Ciao

• Like 4

Gieme: I'm quite certain you'd do perfect and movable fan blades with youghurt cups, elbow grease and grit, but you did the right thing going for Quickboost here. :smile:

Besides, I'm quite sure there are a few things that you'll add anyway so the cups won't stay unharmed for long!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Besides, I'm quite sure there are a few things that you'll add anyway so the cups won't stay unharmed for long!

You bet! :D  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now, less of the chit-chat and get building :poke:

Stuart

Alright, alright, I will :coolio::D

9 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Here's my Italeri build

Thanks for the link, Tim :thumbsup: How was the fit for pylons and weapons, if I may ask?

Ciao

On 4/24/2018 at 7:35 PM, giemme said:

How was the fit for pylons and weapons, if I may ask?

All fitted perfectly.

Different distances between locating lugs on aircraft and weapons, to avoid putting the pylon upside-down.

• Thanks 1