It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

10 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Most of our yoghurt is bought in ceramic pots, but I do get offered all sorts of plastic packaging by SWMBO.

John

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's posh...!!:winkgrin:

Indeed! :D Only top class yogurt for Mr. and Mrs. B.

BTW, the specific yogurt cup I use isn't really common, because of its thickness. Normally, you can get from 0.25 to 0.4mm; in this case, I found a very thin one because it was part of a double packaging. Basically, the outside part of the cup was made out of paper/carboard and it was the structural one, while only the interior part, in touch with the yogurt, was from styrene, much thinner than usual because of not being a structural layer. Sort of environment-friendly packaging, which also turned out to be modeller-friendly :D

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great work on the nose and cowling Giorgio, impressive! :)

I'll look out for Yoghurt cups now... I think Mrs B has some of the double skinned ones. :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

So a win-win situation as they say in business speak.

Definitely! :D 

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great work on the nose and cowling Giorgio, impressive! :)

I'll look out for Yoghurt cups now... I think Mrs B has some of the double skinned ones. :hmmm:

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  Thin styrene is handy for a number of things in modelling, so a raid into Mrs B leftovers is definitely recommended :)  (Does that sound weird? No pun intended, anyway)

Ciao

• Like 1

On 22/3/2018 at 09:39, matteo44 said:

Great work on the nose...  Very very nice!

Congratulations Giorgio:clap:

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup: More done in that area, see below :wink: 

Hi everybody, time for a WE progress report :) 

I trimmed the reinforcement strips I had previously glued on the gun faring sides

dav

So now the work on the nose is completed .... well, not quite, see below :frantic:

But before that, I went on working on the back part of the fuselage, bottom side. I used a razor saw to remove the old style RWR antenna, then filled in with CA+talc and sanded/polished

dav

and I also dealt with the remaining part of central seam (some rescribing took place here, too)

dav

The rectangular vent you see in the pic above and the circular ones in the same area aren't quite accurate, so I decided to drill them out

dav

I actually filled in part of the rectangular one with the usual CA+talc mix, and refined it with a square file. I also removed part of the plastic form inside, to reduce the thickness (using a Dremel ball point mill), then I glued in some PE leftovers to simulate the protecting grid

dav

Resulting in this:

dav

Not exactly right to scale, but better than what the kit sported, I think. 

Back to the nose: I decided to give the reshaping a go, so after some careful sanding, I got this

dav

dav

Probably a bit more like the real thing. What do you guys think? 

You may have noticed from the first modified nose pic that the seam between the fuselage and the nose gear bay has split open ... :badmood::chair: 

I re-glued it and added some CA+talc mix - while curing, I decided to start tackling the wings.

First job, fix the molding faults on top port wing, so more CA+talc in action:

dav

And here after sanding and rescribing

dav

Next job is to add some details to the main wheel bays. That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, giemme said:

Not exactly right to scale, but better than what the kit sported, I think. 

Great work Giorgio...

For the grids, you can use another material... I don't know the English word (sorry for may bad English) but in Italian is the "Tulle" (delle bomboniere... wedding favors??)... 

It is more slim and more soft 

• Thanks 1

Looking good Giorgio! I've not tried mixing talc with CA, I always use bicarb of soda, but I'm thinking talc might give an even smoother finish. Shall give it a go later - I need to fix a chunk I've taken out of the trailing edge of my Blackburn Beverley's tailplane when I dropped it!! Should be a good test! :D

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matteo44 said:

Great work Giorgio...

For the grids, you can use another material... I don't know the English word (sorry for may bad English) but in Italian is the "Tulle" (delle bomboniere... wedding favors??)... 

It is more slim and more soft 

Thanks Matteo! :thumbsup: Yes, I know what you're talking about - never tried that, but in the past (for instance in my Harrier Gr9a build) I used women tights cutouts for the job (courtesy of SWMBO :coolio: ). In this case, I wanted something more see-through, if you know what I mean.

But I definitely need to get hold of some tulle for the future :wink:  :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good Giorgio! I've not tried mixing talc with CA, I always use bicarb of soda, but I'm thinking talc might give an even smoother finish. Shall give it a go later - I need to fix a chunk I've taken out of the trailing edge of my Blackburn Beverley's tailplane when I dropped it!! Should be a good test! :D

Keith

Cheers Keith :thumbsup:  I did try CA+bicarbonate, and I think talc is definitely smoother (and equally resistant) . I've yet to try @massimo's recipe with flour, though :hmmm: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hello Giorgio,

again a very interesting and good looking update.

The mesh, however, is a very challenging task. I have also searched for a decent representation of the mesh. One day I discovered a very interesting add on from Brengun at a local hobby shop. It's an Air Intake mesh for the Academy 1/72 Hawker Typhoon (BRL72018). The mesh is so fine that I cut it to shape and I think it fits. The problem is that there is not enough mesh for all holes plus the squared opening of the A-10 belly. But then I also found a very fine nylon mesh from another Czech brand called Plus Model. There you have a lot of mesh and it's easy to cut. I think it almost looks as fine as the Brengun mesh. See the pictures below. Once carefully painted it should look nice. If I remember well the same nylon mesh is also available as PE mesh.

Plus Model mesh

Comparison of Brengun mesh (left) and Plus Model mesh (right)

Dry fitting of Plus Model mesh

Ramon

Edited by Sting67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, matteo44 said:

:yes::yes:

I understand... Good work

Cheers Matteo, thanks :thumbsup: 

34 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

Hello Giorgio,

again a very interesting and good looking update.

The mesh, however, is a very challenging task. I have also searched for a decent representation of the mesh. One day I discovered a very interesting add on from Brengun at a local hobby shop. It's an Air Intake mesh for the Academy 1/72 Hawker Typhoon (BRL72018). The mesh is so fine that I cut it to shape and I think it fits. The problem is that there is not enough mesh for all holes plus the squared opening of the A-10 belly. But then I also found a very fine nylon mesh from another Czech brand called Plus Model. There you have a lot of mesh and it's easy to cut. I think it almost looks as fine as the Brengun mesh. See the pictures below. Once carefully painted it should look nice. If I remember well the same nylon mesh is also available as PE mesh.

Plus Model mesh

Comparison of Brengun mesh (left) and Plus Model mesh (right)

Dry fitting of Plus Model mesh

Ramon

Ah, that looks like really good stuff! Thanks for the heads up, Ramon :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Hi everybody; a little modelling time during the week, here's what I did:

I added some details to the main gear bays (piping/cabling) from copper and welding wire

dav

dav

dav

dav

Then I glued all the PE bits for the bang seat (apologies for the blurry pics)

dav

dav

dav

dav

That was rather fiddly, and I lost one of the headrest rams to the carpet monster - it just zinged off my tweezers, never to be seen again :chair: 

So I scratch built one, cutting it out from the Aires PE fret where the original part came from, and reshaped it using a Dremel sanding disc.

Not perfect, but I think at this scale it will do.

Any comments welcome

Happy Easter everybody! :) 

Ciao

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nice Giemme, the seat looks nice.

And the added pipe work to the U/C bays giving definition to a plin surface.

BTW it`s solder not welding wire LOL.

As for mesh, how about tea bags as mentioned somewhere on the forum, just an idea.

Happy Easter to you and yours.

Simon and Rose.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

BTW it`s solder not welding wire LOL

Yes, of course - solder! Who said welding anyway? :clown::D

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

As for mesh, how about tea bags as mentioned somewhere on the forum, just an idea.

I remember this idea came up also while building my Harrier Gr9a, too. Tea bags aren't very popular around here, though, but I'll see if I can find some :thumbsup:

Happy Easter and take care, you two :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Hello Giorgio,

Well you did great on the Hog, All these oesky sink marks !

Why did you add talc or soda ? I use the CA alone and it work well too ?

Always willingly to learn a lot CC

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Why did you add talc or soda ? I use the CA alone and it work well too ?

Always willingly to learn a lot CC

Because it dries faster and harder. Basically, after a few minutes you can file, sand and rescribe over it. 

I use pure CA on small gaps, mixed for bigger ones. HTH, and Happy Easter! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, massimo said:

From the number of holes underwing, I assume she must be...an angry one!!!:D

Yep, plenty of things to hang under the wings :fight::)

6 hours ago, massimo said:

Neat work on the seat and nacelles (don't know how to call them!!!:think:

Thanks! :thumbsup: I think they'd be sponsons :)

Buona Pasqua!

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Happy Easter Giorgio! The A-10 is looking great.

Cheers Cookie, thanks :thumbsup:

Happy Easter to you too!

Ciao

• Like 1

Ho Sorry, as I'm working, I tend to forget the time I live in !:wub:

Happy Easter to you too and to your family !!

Time for some Belgian chocolate eggs !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

She’s looking great mate, as ever some exquisite details being added.

happy Easter, hope you and the family have a great time.

Rob

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Happy Easter to you and yours too! 

2 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Also from me a Happy Easter, Giorgio

and also to all the others!

Cheers Ramon, thanks :thumbsup:

Just now, corsaircorp said:

Ho Sorry, as I'm working, I tend to forget the time I live in !:wub:

Happy Easter to you too and to your family !!

Time for some Belgian chocolate eggs !!

Sincerely.

CC

No problem CC :wink:

Plenty of chocolate eggs around here, too - albeit not Belgian :shrug:

Ciao

• Haha 1