It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice work Giorgio, those bays! :inlove:

Cheers Ced, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Phew, I'm glad it all came out without damaging anything G! The reaction might never have happened, but I would hate to have seen all your marvellous work ruined if it did!

That 'pit looks good enough to fly!

K

Better safe than sorry, Keith - besides, as I thought it was pretty easy to remove the stuff :thumbsup:

As for the cockpit, can you actually fly without control stick, throttle and seat?  :rofl:  :coat: 

3 hours ago, massimo said:

Nice combination of resin, PE and top level craftmanship, together with a good amount of ...elbow oil!!!:rofl:

Well done Giorgio!!!

Thanks Massimo - a lot more to do, I'm afraid - I haven't mentioned the compressor faces yet... :frantic: 

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Very impressive modelling as always Giorgio! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: Busy with them AFV builds, aren't you? I'm hope to see you soon back at work on some wingy things :whistle::wink: 

Ciao

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giemme said:

Busy with them AFV builds, aren't you? I'm hope to see you soon back at work on some wingy things :whistle::wink: 

Hi Giorgio. You know me so well!! Yes I'm currently building a Sherman Tank down in the M3/M4 Sherman STGB in the GB section. I'm afraid the next project is going to be a 1/48 Tank but I will then, hopefully, be building a 1/48 Hurricane in the Hawker (Siddeley) GB and I have possible two further aircraft builds later in the year - if I get time! You could always have a quick go at an AFV build - Tamiya's 1/48 kits are a real joy to make.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

You could always have a quick go at an AFV build - Tamiya's 1/48 kits are a real joy to make.

:devil:  Do not tempt me! :D  :D  But no, seriously, AFV just isn't my thing; when I need to divert a bit, I resort to figure painting :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

:devil:  Do not tempt me! :D  :D  But no, seriously, AFV just isn't my thing; when I need to divert a bit, I resort to figure painting :wink: 

Ciao

I must admit that, before making my first tank in the Battle of Britain GB a couple of years ago, I wasn't slightly interested in them - I only built them there to be the targets for my Typhoon build. But I got bitten by the AFV bug and been thoroughly enjoying them since.

Have you any plans for a next figure build?

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Have you any plans for a next figure build?

Oh yeah, there's a white metal 75mm Vicking waiting for me, almost all cleaned up already :)

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody; 

got something done during the snowy WE, albeit not much. It was time to glue the cockpit in place and join the fuselage halves, but first I decided to add the throttle and that lever on the lower left IP corner:

dav

dav

The tub was then glued in place with some CA, and then this

dav

using Tamiya Green Cap along the joint, and proceeding "per sections". I let this cure for a good 24 hours before starting to mangle it

So there she was, ready for some TLC

dav

Not sure you can actually see it, but there was a pretty prominent ridge all along the fuselage spine, partly self caused :banghead: . Probably more visible here:

dav

Anyway, I started fixing the first little segment right behind the cockpit and glued this in place (CA gel, this time)

dav

For the spine, my scraping gizmo and my ETS saw a lot of action :frantic:

dav

Almost fixed, but eventually I had to put some more glue along two segments of the spine, because I had filed through up to the non glued plastic. More wait, to let it cure properly; not ready before tonight.

dav

I also had to work on port side of the top tub PE, because it was sitting slightly proud of the fuselage, so I had to file it down a bit (sorry, blurry pic)

dav

Not much, I reckon, but very time consuming.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 18

Not much? That looks pretty good progress to me G! Getting the fuselage together means you're almost halfway through the build - only the flying surfaces and sticky out bits to go now! :)

And that 'pit really looks the business in there!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Hello Giorgio,

again a very interesting progress job. The pictures always look good and clear.

And that's what I also have, pictures. Maybe you have them already, but I saw a few very rare color pics of the open airbrakes of a green Hog. You can see every detail, see here:
This will help you as a reference when building the open airbrakes.

Ramon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Not much? That looks pretty good progress to me G!

Thanks K :thumbsup: 

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Getting the fuselage together means you're almost halfway through the build - only the flying surfaces and sticky out bits to go now! :)

:D You're being pretty optimistic here, Keith. You haven't seen the wing assembly up close, nor the wheel struts, nor the engines, nor ... :frantic:  :frantic: 

33 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

Hello Giorgio,

again a very interesting progress job. The pictures always look good and clear.

And that's what I also have, pictures. Maybe you have them already, but I saw a few very rare color pics of the open airbrakes of a green Hog. You can see every detail, see here:
This will help you as a reference when building the open airbrakes.

Ramon

Thank you Ramon :thumbsup:  Very interesting set of pictures there. Looks like the open airbrakes on a parked A-10 was uncommon but not impossible - as Gene K @Gene K reported too. I think I'll pose them open :coolio::) 

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The cockpit looks amazing Giorgio - another worthy Monday update!

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Second,. As above. Cheers

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Thirded, as above.

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Fourthed(?)!! Great looking cockpit! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Looking ace G-man. :thumbsup:

Thank you one and all, guys - you are too kind :blush:  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, massimo said:

Very nice and clean build up to here!!!

That cockpit is a treat and the fuselage gluing is impeccable!

To be honest I can't see any line to be scraped!!!

Well done!!!

Thanks Massimo, but there was a 0.5mm ridgge along the spine - which is a lot, modelling-wise :frantic:

The pics didn't show it properly, but it was actually there :analintruder:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

giemme, 

Now that I've finished scanning my A-10 slides, these may help, or maybe not...

A-10A 66fws WA KLSV 19810600 33cr

A-10A GAU-8 loader KLSV 19810500 24

A-10A ferry tank KLSV 19810400 34cr

79-0179 74tfs EL KEDW 19830910 32

79-0223 23tfw EL 23TFW KLSV 19840700 10cr

Asymmetric boards?

76-0553 355tfs MB KLSV GF81-3 19810300 31cr

76-0552 917tfg BD KNZJ 19900428 16

Taxiing in

78-0641 118tfs CT KLSV 19810600 30cr

A-10 Weapons School jet with ALQ-119 and AGM-65. Maverick on the right wing has OD body and white seeker head.

78-0716 66fws WA KLSV 19801100 37cr

Sven

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@Old Viper Tester

very very beautiful pics! Every picture is always very welcomed and often very helpful. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

(I'm also building an A-10A from the 23rd TFW, therefore I'm also always thankful for new images).

Ramon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Great pics Sven, thanks for sharing them! :thumbsup:  Yet another one of a parked aircraft with open airbrakes, BTW :)

Ciao

looks to be going through pre-flight checks as the pilot  is in situ.  Also nice to see the dowward angel of the store most models have them parralel to the ground 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

looks to be going through pre-flight checks as the pilot  is in situ.

Not in this one:

25587138287_c4967031c2_b.jpg

Besides, this isn't the first one I see of a parked aircraft with open airbrakes; for instance, Ramon @Sting67 posted earlier a link where you can see one.

It is also true that in this pic, the airbrakes are open at different angles between port and starboard, and the fuel receptacle is open too, so I guess the aircraft was undergoing some sort of maintenance or check?

I hope to hear from the well informed guys ... :):D

Ciao

A bit more of progress made last night:

I brush painted the usual off-black on the canopy sills and windshield surroundings

dav

then I completed the spine sanding/polishing

dav

a good deal of panel lines were lost in the process, so out came Tamiya tape for curves

dav

and using my INCIDO, I rescribed them

dav

I also used a very fine tipped brush and ran some Tamiya Green Cap along the newly scribed lines, to clean them up and round up the otherwise sharp seam edges (that's a Fritag's trick, BTW :wink:  )

Filled in with CA the moulded lines for the refueling receptacle, as they weren't matching at all and were also wrongly shaped

dav

After some ETS action

dav

Then I uses Tamiya tape for curves again, to rescribe the main outlines (looks messy, but it's because I used a dark wash to check the lines)

dav

I'll have to use a template for the receptacle door shape, but later for that ...

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 8