It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

2 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

Giorgio, again a very good step forward and very good progress pictures

Cheers Ramon, thanks :thumbsup:

As for the mission markings, I didn't notice that option B on the decal sheet has them, thank for pointing that out :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

It's just a question to magnify the picture and try the best in interpreting the number of stars

I tried, but to no avail. I guess a bit of artistic license is needed, here... :) 

6 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

The only tricky thing will be how to get the information or a pic of the pilot names.

Exactly. The only thing you can tell from the pics is that there were only two names. :frantic:

Ciao

8 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great work Giorgio!! :clap:

Grazie Matteo :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Tell you what.... you guys certainly take this " individual details" business seriously!

Good luck with the research!

🌟🌟🌟

Thanks Rob, it's all part of the fun :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio,

Just caught up with this thread. Excellent work as usual, with your trademark care and attention to detail! However, the work on the cockpit and HUD is simply superb! :worthy:

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

Just caught up with this thread. Excellent work as usual, with your trademark care and attention to detail! However, the work on the cockpit and HUD is simply superb! :worthy:

Cheers Jamie, thank you :thumbsup:  Still a few bits to add in the cockpit department, but they'll have to wait till further in the build

10 hours ago, massimo said:

Very nice detail for that front wheel bay and nice paint work on the canopy!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!:yes:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: There's more to do on the canopy (adding a few details) and windshield (just some painting touch ups) but as I told Jaime, it wil happen later in the build :)

Ciao

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Impressive detailing as usual Giorgio - the nose gear bay is looking fantastic.

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:  There's much more going on into the real nose gear bay, but since not much remains to be seen once it's all buttoned up, I'm happy with a "busy look" :)

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody! It's Monday, so time for WE progress report.

Firstly: the transparencies received an additional black coat on the outside. This time I airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black

dav

which I also used to airbrush the nose gear bay

dav

dav

Then I airbrushed it with Lifecolor Gloss Aircraft Grey, thinned as usual with Future

dav

dav

dav

Then some detail painting by brush and a black tempera wash. The highlights were done by brushing on some very diluted Lifecolor Gloss White

dav

dav

Bay interior glued in place

dav

dav

Now a dryfit of all the main parts was needed; we all now she's going to be a tail sitter, right?

dav

Instructions say to add 30gr on the back of the nose gear bay, that is this much

dav

Those are the balancing weight used on tyres; the ones I have are made of two different materials: iron (pic above: I need to many to be able to fit them inside) and zinc (see below)

As an alternative, I thought I'd use fishing leads, this much:

dav

so I packed some of them in the back side of the gear bay and submerged them with PVA; we don't want a Rattle Hog, do we? :D  Still, I could fit only half of them, so I did also put in a couple of those zinc weights, right aft of the bay - using double sided carpet tape to hold them in place

dav

Ready to join the fuselage halves, right?

:hmmm: ... not quite. There still are a couple of things to deal with: Aires provides a PE part for the cockpit area behind the seat

dav

The three square holes need to be ... holes, so I have to cut them out form the kit plastic too.

Then there is the refueling door

dav

I think my best option will be to fill in the lines and rescribe them properly; I'm certainly not going to use the decal provided by Italeri. I'll get back to this when the fuselage halves are joined.

So, the cockpit backside: this has to go

dav

cutting that slot out with a razor blade and refining it with a square file was pretty straightforward

dav

These two needed to go as well

dav

I drilled a hole in the middle of both, then proceeded to refining, again with a square file

dav

Lasty, I added a couple of thin styrene strips (0.1mm) as a continuation of the PE canopy sills

dav

They need proper shaping and refining, but that would next time.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

2 hours ago, giemme said:

so I packed some of them in the back side of the gear bay and submerged them with PVA

Oh dear, I hesitate to mention this Giorgio, but there is a known problem that over time PVA (& now also apparently superglue ) mixed with lead can cause a chemical reaction that may lead to fairly severe swelling and might well cause your fuselage to burst open. I saw the efeects first hand many years ago on a friends model railway locomotive - he'd filled the boiler with lead/pva & it expanded so much it cracked completely along the seams.....

Anyways, more nice progress, it's coming along well!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

That comes along very nicely. A good cockpit is very important on a modern jet model imho. Cheers

Thanks B! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, massimo said:

Very nice work onthat front wheel bay!!!:yes::clap:

You just forgot to mention......

...THERE'S AN AIRCRAFT ATTACHED TO IT!!!!!!:rofl:

Where does that Hog come from??:gobsmacked:

Well done indeed!!!:like:

:rofl: Yes, there's a Hog there somewhere .... 

Cheers Massimo, thanks :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh dear, I hesitate to mention this Giorgio, but there is a known problem that over time PVA (& now also apparently superglue ) mixed with lead can cause a chemical reaction that may lead to fairly severe swelling and might well cause your fuselage to burst open. I saw the efeects first hand many years ago on a friends model railway locomotive - he'd filled the boiler with lead/pva & it expanded so much it cracked completely along the seams.....

Anyways, more nice progress, it's coming along well!

Keith

Cheers Keith, thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: I think I can still fix it, removing the leads together with the PVA shouldn't be a big deal

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Giorgio: yourself and Massimo are my twin gods of paint-excellence these days.

Accept my humble praise. :clap2:

Too kind, Tony, way too kind :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Grand work Giorgio, she is coming to life slowly.

I have to keep telling myself that this is 1/72 scale not 48!!!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thank you :thumbsup: Despite of the scale, she is a big beast! :frantic: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic work Giorgio.

Cheers Cookie, thank you :thumbsup:

Bonus update today :) - even though only a quick one.

Following Keith's @keefr22 advice, I removed the PVA-fishing leads mix (easy :) ) and packed in two more tyre weights

dav

I refined the canopy sills and test fitted with the PE part

dav

The outer sides got shaved off after this pic, but I forgot to take another to show the end result.

Since I couldn't think of an easy way to mask the cockpit to paint that PE part once in place, I figured I'd paint it before and just do touch ups once it gets glued in place, so here we go:

dav

I used the same mix of Italeri Flat Black and Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey, thinned with Future and airbrushed in a couple of wet coats.

Very close to joining the fuselage halves, now :):pilot: 

Ciao

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, giemme said:

I removed the PVA-fishing leads mix (easy :) )

Phew, I'm glad it all came out without damaging anything G! The reaction might never have happened, but I would hate to have seen all your marvellous work ruined if it did!

That 'pit looks good enough to fly!

K

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I hold my nose weights in place with Blu-tack, now someone tell me that causes a chemical reaction also..

John

Only if you eat it, produces terrible wind. Or so I'm told....!! :P

(I use Blu tak too. For holding nose weights that is, not eating....)

I do know that 'old style' plasticene would eat through some polystyrenes, had that happen myself eons ago. Don't know if the current stuff would have any effect as they seem to have taken most of the good harmfull stuff out of it!

K

• Haha 1