It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

32 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

I have no explanation for that. Here are more pics of the A model and it looks more like it is without that kind of frame or holder.

Look here.

Yes, I have that bookmarked too, and in fact it's the one I eas referring to one originally posting the question; looks like it's a very early model, though, so I guess at some point the A-10A HUD was upgraded. Question is, when did that happen? :hmmm:

Ciao

Good question. I don't know. I hope that there is an informative answer in some of the sources.

I'm also building the Hog, but I still didn't concentrate on the cockpit. I'm working on the weapons, the aft belly section and the engines.

My wish was building a ready to depart pair of Hogs, but I have to stay with one only (no infos and decals for a wingman).

Ramon

22 hours ago, giemme said:

Second question: see the top frame circled in green in next pic

cockpit23

Again, looking at reference pics, it looks like there's nothing like that on top of the side frames. What do the experts think?

All comments welcome

TIA 

Ciao

That is a removable piece of metal that been installed on the A-10 HUD from the beginning. There is a small captive thumbscrew we would loosen take that cover off and then we had a home made cleaner thing we made out of a sponge then we wrap some low lint cloth around the sponge, spray some cleaning solution on the cloth and sick it between the two panes of the combing glass and clean the HUD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, boom175 said:

That is a removable piece of metal that been installed on the A-10 HUD from the beginning. There is a small captive thumbscrew we would loosen take that cover off and then we had a home made cleaner thing we made out of a sponge then we wrap some low lint cloth around the sponge, spray some cleaning solution on the cloth and sick it between the two panes of the combing glass and clean the HUD.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks boom175, great info and insight! In my search for more references I found more pics of A-10As with that frame mounted, which were no doubt taken during Gulf War, so now your explanation clears out that this is correct and why there are pics not showing it. 

Happy :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Here is a reference book that has all the detail you'd ever want to know about the Hog. Your challenge, of course, is to sort out what was on that particular arframe during the time frame you're modeling.

DEMVcsq.jpg

Gene K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, massimo said:

You're doing well Giorgio, 

I like how the interior is progressing!:thumbsup:

ciao

Massimo

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup:  More (little) progress below :wink: 

8 hours ago, Gene K said:

Here is a reference book that has all the detail you'd ever want to know about the Hog. Your challenge, of course, is to sort out what was on that particular arframe during the time frame you're modeling.

Gene K

:wow: Great wallpaper Gene, thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:  Thanks also for the heads up on the book :thumbsup: 

Here's a little bit of progress, something I manged to do last night: I airbrushed the tub with Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey (FS36321)

dav

same with the IP; most of it will be covered by the PE gauges, but the remaining exposed areas should show that color.

The IP coaming, HUD frame and PE parts for the IP were airbrushed with a mix of Italeri Flat Black and Lifecolor Light Grey; I didn't want to go pure black, for scale effect

dav

dav

dav

Almost ready for some detail painting now.

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 9

P.S. on that HUD glass cover. It was held in by a very easy to break thumb screw. So It might not be unusual to see a museum jet with out one installed or a regular jet flying around with out one installed. What would happen the thumbscrew would snap from being over tightened and the body of the screw would be stuck in the HUD frame, so we would just fly it without the dust cover till we had time to raise the windsheild and drill out the broken screw.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, boom175 said:

P.S. on that HUD glass cover. It was held in by a very easy to break thumb screw. So It might not be unusual to see a museum jet with out one installed or a regular jet flying around with out one installed. What would happen the thumbscrew would snap from being over tightened and the body of the screw would be stuck in the HUD frame, so we would just fly it without the dust cover till we had time to raise the windsheild and drill out the broken screw.

Thanks boom :thumbsup:  I'll leave it in place anyway, because I think it will be much easier to mount the clear parts and glue the whole thing in place this way

Ciao

14 hours ago, Gene K said:

They also have very beautiful sets of decals that contain very interesting subjects, among them A-10Cs of Op Inherent Resolve. I would buy a few sets but it's a disappointment that they're not available in 1/72. Can't be that difficult to downsize the decals.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, massimo said:

She's starting taking shape...and colour!!!

Tape will preserve the glueing areas free from paint.Well done!

Good progress!:clap:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: Yes, I forgot to mention that I put some Tamiya tape where the IP is mating the tub, but also on the tub outside walls, to get a better bond with the fuselage inside surface.

Ciao

43 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Cutting out HUD frames in 1/72 without mangling them! You must be some me sort of sorcerer. :cat:

John

:D I still have to complete painting it, fixing the two screens and glue it to the IP coaming - plenty of chances for mangling it :frantic: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hi everybody;

it's Monday, so how about a progress report? :coolio:

More work done on the IP, in terms of dry brushing some Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey and brush painting light green on the outer edge of some of the gauges. Not very visible from this pic, though

dav

Maybe a bit better in next

dav

I glued the printed clear acetate to the PE IP frames with a smear of CA gel, refined the protruding film with a razor blade and glued in place on the resin IP again using CA gel.

A bit of detail painting and Tamiya Clear Green on the square screen to the right completed the job. The macro effect is totally unforgiving here, showing things that I couldn't see even with magnifiers, but that's not unusual ... :whistle:

BTW, the IP isn't completed yet, because I still have to paint and glue in a small PE lever on the left side, but I'll do that later - don't want to risk pinging it off while handling the tub and IP when inserting them into the fuselage halves :chair: 

The coaming received a dry brush with Dark Gull Grey, and a second selective one with Light Gull Grey

dav

The HUD projector was initially painted light green; I then added a blob of PVA to simulate the lens, and completed it brushing on some Tamiya Clear Green

dav

Some detail painting done on the tub too

dav

dav

dav

It needs a bit of touch up, but it's essentially done. Throttle and control stick still to paint, but I'll put them in only at the end of the build, anyway.

I also brush painted some Aqua Gloss on the windshield and canopy, prior to gluing the PE bits on them

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

1 hour ago, massimo said:

Well done Giorgio!

The interior is superb, but that instrument panel can speak !!!:clap:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's looking great Giorgio, I'm especially taken with the green HUD projector.

Cheers Cookie, glad you like it! :thumbsup: I'm pretty happy myself with that projector - and if you think that all it took was a PVA dollop and some Clear Green ... :)

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm pretty happy myself with that projector - and if you think that all it took was a PVA dollop and some Clear Green

And skill, Giorgio...

Echoing others, that's a really nice 'pit. The detail on the IP is remarkable given the scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1