Grumman Tiger - prototype/production differences

John R

I believe that the prototype had a much shorter nose than the early production 'short nose' and the fin chord was smaller. I think that guns were not fitted. Are there any drawings showing these differences and were there any other differences?

5 hours ago, John R said:

I believe that the prototype had a much shorter nose than the early production 'short nose' and the fin chord was smaller. I think that guns were not fitted. Are there any drawings showing these differences and were there any other differences?

I'm working on a post that shows all that. In addition, the prototype did not initially have an afterburner or inlet splitter plates, the nose wheel doors were different, and there was a huge pitot on the right side of the forward fuselage.

• Like 2

Thank you. Great stuff. What colour was it? I have read that it was white with red trim but  in some of the oictures it looks like natural metal - or were these different prototypes?

John

• 4 weeks later...

If you are wanting to build a prototype Tiger, while simplified, the Lindberg Tiger has an accurate shape for the prototype. If you can find a cheap FM Tiger you could potentially use the detail parts from that kit on the Lindberg Tiger to detail it up. 

IIRC the Detail & Scale on the Tiger had quite comprehensive coverage of the protos, too, though I don't recall whether there were drawings. Mind you, I've never been a big fan of theirs anyway...

I also think their verdict on the Lindberg was quite scathing, though that may have had a lot to do with Lindberg marketing the kit as something it simply wasn't, and some of the features of the educational toy like IIRC a opening barn door on the fuselage to view Lindy's Standard Jet Engine (thoug hI admit I never bothered to compare those I have). As their XF8U-1 also is quite accurate shapewise, and I think I have read the same for some of their other protos, it seems likely that it also applies to the Tiger.

Historic retrospective -

only just for fun!

How see F-9F Tiger in soviet military and popular book on that time:

20180206_184111.jpg

20180206_184136.jpg

20180206_184130.jpg

20180206_184035.jpg

20180206_184047.jpg

20180206_184421.jpg

20180206_184409.jpg

In 1956 for Soviet MOD F-9F and Scimitar was how a twin's!

:):)

20180206_183810.jpg
20180206_183927.jpg
20180206_183944.jpg

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tempestfan said:

IIRC the Detail & Scale on the Tiger had quite comprehensive coverage of the protos, too, though I don't recall whether there were drawings. Mind you, I've never been a big fan of theirs anyway...

I also think their verdict on the Lindberg was quite scathing, though that may have had a lot to do with Lindberg marketing the kit as something it simply wasn't, and some of the features of the educational toy like IIRC a opening barn door on the fuselage to view Lindy's Standard Jet Engine (thoug hI admit I never bothered to compare those I have). As their XF8U-1 also is quite accurate shapewise, and I think I have read the same for some of their other protos, it seems likely that it also applies to the Tiger.

I have had the Lindberg kit, actually several through the years and while it is rough it can be made into a decent model of one of the prototypes albeit with a lot of work. I never quite got it there though. Like I mentioned, if you could find a FM Tiger and were willing to sacrifice it to flesh out the Lindberg kit you might be able to have a decent model of the prototype.

The D&S book has a pretty good three view in it along with other drawings and illustrations. There is also some nice detail photos of the under carriage. I prefer the Ginter book though. It has in addition to several more photos of the prototypes, it goes into the Tiger's unit and squadron service with the usual modelers references in the back. It also delves into the Lindberg kit in a little more detail than the D&S book. One thing I didn't like in the Ginter book was the re-utilization of the side drawings from his inaugural book of the Naval Fighters series vol 1 on the Tiger. They are pretty crude. I suppose they serve their purpose showing the various markings but the drawings themselves are not very good.