Lighting T.5 Observation

tc2324

Hi all,

Using the following picture as a reference for a build.

It was taken during the 1966 Tiger Meet at Leuchars and would like opinions as to if we can see any evidence of the yellow Training stripes on the wings and rear fuselage. I can`t see anything but always handy to get a second opinion.

39597345221_3107311eef_c.jpg 

Ta in advance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tc2324 said:

Hi all,

Using the following picture as a reference for a build.

It was taken during the 1966 Tiger Meet at Leuchars and would like opinions as to if we can see any evidence of the yellow Training stripes on the wings and rear fuselage. I can`t see anything but always handy to get a second opinion.

Ta in advance.

I've checked other photos of the same machine in my possession, taken around the same time, and I would say that there are none.  5 Squadrons XS451 did not have any at that time either.

HTH

Dennis

As an amendment to the above, the rules, in AP119A, stated that training colour schemes did not apply and that they were to be coloured according to their operational role

Edited by sloegin57
additional information
  • Like 2

XS416 was on the strength of 226 OCU so it would have worn T bands but in dayglo together with the colourful unit fin markings. Traces of where the bands were can just be made out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Would a T Bird in an operational squadron markings have yellow bands? Only ever seen them on an OCU bird.

I can only answer this question from 74`s point of view in that they operated their T-birds with stripes. These following pictures show their T4 and I know that their T5`s out in Singapore also had the stripe. (EDIT; or so I was told....?)

It just seems to be their T5 while still based in the UK that is the enigma?

38902720314_10950667d7_c.jpg 

38902720144_52b5eb3323_c.jpg 

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tweeky said:

The last two photos show a T4 

As noted in the text of that post.

I was told by some the the Tiger guys out in Tengah that their T.5 did have the training stripes, but I have yet to find photographic evidence of it. I matters not as the subject of the build and references are based on the photo in the OP and that question has been answered.

Thanks all for the comments and input, greatly appreciated. 

Had a talk at the museum tonight by Hedley Molland, who ran the initial Lightning simulator course for 2 years before joining 111. Some of his photos showed the 111 T4  with the black spine and training bands on the wings only, and 56's T4 in full Firebirds colours but no yellow bands.   As always, check the individual aircraft references and photos where possible.

• Like 1