Takom Merkava MK1 Hybrid IDF MBT

BlackMax12

Thanks Carius

Yes I'm looking forward to finishing it also. 

I forgot the ID plaques that go on the sides of the turret bustle rack.  Takom gives you a 

piece of lead strip to cut into 3 pieces for the plaques and I forgot them of course.  So now I cut it into the 3 pieces, paint it, decal the #3

and try to glue them to the grab irons on the sides and rear of the rack without knocking anything off.  Fun fun fun.

Then there's the weird doubled up tow cables but at least they give you wire instead of string like Meng provides.  They shouldn't be bad

as there's lots of clamps on the turret sides, if the wire will fit the clamps that is.

Take care,

Lloyd

Looking great! Quick question: how did you paint the wheels rubber parts and the tracks? I like the "build all then paint all" approach but I never found a way to do this with tank wheels :(

Looking forward to seeing the end,

Arnaud

Here it is with some dirt, dust and markings. Only one ID plaque in place as I discovered the tow cables go behind them.

The ca on the cables is drying overnight and maybe the 3rd time trying to install without having them fall apart will be the charm.

I thought it would be easy to install the cables but not so much.  I'll probably give it some more dirt on the tracks and wheels after the cables get sorted out.

Quite a few pics and some with that Panzer IV which also got some dust and isn't quite a black hole any more.

gSIsbCQ.jpgNKYf3Dk.jpgULMRDAe.jpgh7nmdMJ.jpgOgh46Zh.jpgEk5mFZs.jpg2iwERdN.jpg46aTwU4.jpgog4XLl6.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Soeren

Yes most of the Takom stuff is pretty good but that Tiger II with the interior wasn't so great and the WWI artillery piece that I scrapped wasn't either.

I find that the Meng, Takom and Rye Field kits are the best, even better and certainly cheaper than the Dragon and they kill the Tamiya offerings.

That Mirror Models Diamond T wrecker I'm building actually turned out very well with a tremendous amount of detail, just not a very fun kit to build.

My $.02, not an expert for sure.

Take care,

Lloyd

Israel

Yes, I didn't know what it was just that the marking guide called for it on the right front and left rear.  Didn't put the white bands on the gun as I don't like that look.

I finally whipped those tow cables into shape and got the other 2 ID plaques on the turret bustle so I'll add some junk to the storage rack and some more dirt to the 

tracks and call it a day.  It's almost 2 AM here now so time to hit the sack.

Take care,

Lloyd

AFAIK, the regimental shield should be applied onto the front-left rubber mud flaps and rear-right fenders (just above rubber mudguards); the squadron/battalion markings should be applied similarly on the opposite sides.   

Great, great model.  I've had my eye on the Takom product for awhile now and reading this thread about sums it up for me.  Great work BlackMax!  I have IDF models ready to go...along with too many others as well.  Takom came out with theirs after I had my Merkava collection set, but I may sell the Tamiya Mk I and get this one instead.  LOL...It's going to be 75 deg F (24 C) today, so let me know where to ship you some unfrozen dirt.  Great work mate!!!!

Thanks Kayjay

OK you have me envious as it's -18C here right now  at 10:20AM and we have a heat wave as it's supposed to go up to -5C.  Sure a hell of a lot better than that

-30C on Thursday or the -38C last week.  I could sure use some +24C days to get rid of some of the ice around here.

Now I've started following Arnobiz's thread where he is doing the anti-slip coating on the same kit.  That looks interesting but too late for me, wish I had seen that sooner.

It turned out ok though and fits in with my Achzarit and Gal Batash rather nicely.  There may be a Merkava MK IV coming yet though, sort of like the look.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Kris

Thanks Israel

I'll leave the markings as is as I don't have any spares.  There is only that semi-circle with the 3 in it in the kit whether that's the regimental shield or the battalion markings I don't know

but it is  on the right front and left rear fenders now.

Lloyd