Takom Merkava MK1 Hybrid IDF MBT

BlackMax12

Started another project, can't have too many IDF vehicles.  Got the suspension done on one side and one run of track with the fancy track jig.

Link and length tracks and the jig makes it an easy job.

siAl9jC.jpgEvNE3aM.jpgaqWPx4X.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 6

Happy New Year to you also Ozzy

Yes this kit is pretty nice and the fits are great so far. Got both track runs done, all of the wheels, the rear end with the personnel hatch and a little on the

upper hull front.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks Widow

Done for today though, enough already. 

Waiting for some frozen garden dirt to thaw and dry so I can add some dirties to that 1/16 Panzer IV as it's

too dark and monochrome in German Grey.  I tried a light over spray of Tamiya RLM Grey but it didn't help much so I'll pour the dirt to it and wash it in places with a wet

brush so hopefully I end up with a splotchy lighter shade of greyish/brownish.  If that doesn't work then another winter white wash job is in the cards.  White wash covers a lot of

sins and it's rather easy.

Take care and Happy New Year,

Good luck with the Merkava, it should turn out great and these IDF thingies sort of grow on you don't they?

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Hi Das

You can leave the sprocket and the idler along with the track on the jig but not the 5 road wheels.  

The jigs line up the track links perfectly and they also have holes to line up the suspension arms so they are level when the glue dries.  Brilliant idea!

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

I really wonder why they put the jig in. Maybe because of the suspension arms? The tracks look just like click together in the Merkava kit. In the M47 these are useful because you wouldn't get the position of the links right. How is that on the Merkava?

the details look crisp and nice. Cheers.

Hi Soeren

The jigs really help with the glue together link and length tracks but the suspension just clicks into place so the jigs aren't needed that much.

The details are crisp like you say and there's a bunch of small parts that add to it so it looks pretty good.  A nice thing is there are only 4 pieces of photo etch

in this kit which is a relief.  It's a quick and easy build and no concerns so far.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Chris

Happy New Year.

Yes, too much time and too cold to venture outside so the plastic takes a beating.  This kit is an easy build and probably will be finished today, the paint job

maybe a tomorrow thing though.

Take care,

Lloyd

21 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Thanks Widow

Done for today though, enough already. 

Waiting for some frozen garden dirt to thaw and dry so I can add some dirties to that 1/16 Panzer IV as it's

too dark and monochrome in German Grey.  I tried a light over spray of Tamiya RLM Grey but it didn't help much so I'll pour the dirt to it and wash it in places with a wet

brush so hopefully I end up with a splotchy lighter shade of greyish/brownish.  If that doesn't work then another winter white wash job is in the cards.  White wash covers a lot of

sins and it's rather easy.

Take care and Happy New Year,

Good luck with the Merkava, it should turn out great and these IDF thingies sort of grow on you don't they?

Lloyd

It might take a while for you to get your dirt.  As you know I have a soft spot for Med Hat and keep an eye on the weather over there all the time, its a bit chilly at the moment right....?

Well, at 7:30 AM when I was out shovelling the 10 cms of snow we got last night it was -30C with just a bit of wind. Right now at 1:40PM we

have a heat wave as it's all the way up to -26C but not snowing.  Got to break out the shorts and tank top directly.

The dirt has been thawing/drying for 2 days but still too damp to grind into a powder yet.

g2kWQ1p.jpgXvAlYLi.jpg

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Israel

I didn't know that was a stretcher and yes it comes with the kit. 

I thought you were talking about the stretcher I would need if I went outside at -30C, one frozen Lloydsicle, :lol:

The kit is pretty complete with not an over abundance of photo etch which I rather like.

Take care,

BTW should the covers on the storage baskets and even the baskets themselves be the body color or more of a canvas color and same with the canvas cover around the main gun?

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

16 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

BTW should the covers on the storage baskets and even the baskets themselves be the body color or more of a canvas color and same with the canvas cover around the main gun?

The baskets themselves should be in the main color; the covers are actually in the main color as well, but I would paint them in a slightly different shade just to create more interest. Having said that, I saw much lighter, as well as much darker colors too; depense on the state of the canvas. 

16 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said: