Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

Since our A77-868 helped out with this latest Airfix lovely it would be good form to purchase a couple

to do her in her various schemes

With 77 Squadron in Korea

A77-868_05_zpsviz55uzm.jpg

And loitering round our shed

_4284774_zpskanlf6qn.jpg

• Like 3

Nice aircraft (not sure on the paint job), currently working on this;

meteor.JPG

Dont have a spare nose gear door do you? :whistle:

Julien

OI! Julien, NO!

Wrong section, put it in the Wanted Section - you have over 100 posts! :nono::whistle:

Agreed that is a nice colour scheme but what's the heritage of yours, what markings will it be in when fully restored?

Wez

Agreed that is a nice colour scheme but what's the heritage of yours, what markings will it be in when fully restored?

It was an F.8 (WH453) but converted to U.16, now being restored back to F.8 which is why we need the gear door as the U,16 one is longer and flatter. Was used at Llanbedr as an engine teat frame when it stopped flying so they chopped a few bits out which have not done her any favours. When done will be painted in camo as a 72 Sqn aircraft which she served in at RAF Church Fenton. Its a long job though.

• Like 1

Nice aircraft (not sure on the paint job), currently working on this;

meteor.JPG

Dont have a spare nose gear door do you? :whistle:

Julien

I'll have a look, we dont have a lot of Meatbox bits but you never know.

• Like 2

That boxart looks weird, as if the cockpit is offsett to the left, and the wings are really stubby

Looks perfectly fine to me.

That boxart looks weird, as if the cockpit is offsett to the left, and the wings are really stubby

I think it's the angle of the box in post #183 affecting the perspective - have a look at the pic in post 177 & it looks great!

Keith

• Like 2

Nearly twice as much as the tamiya meatboxes!!Why ?

Might have something to do with the fact that the Tamiya one is almost 20 years old? Anyway, who cares? Personally I don't think it's overpriced by 2016 standards and anything's better than trying to beat the Classic Airframes horror into submission.

However, I realise that other peoples' mileage may vary.....

• Like 1

Because the Tamiya Meatbox is an old kit (originally 1998), with lower tooling and development costs compared to now which have been amortised since the kit was produced maybe?

Anyway, the question is academic, Airfix's kit is a Mk.8 not a I/III so its like comparing Golden Delicious's with Cox's Orange Pippins.

How much was the Classic Airframes kit when that came out? I think it's a reasonable price by current standards, anyway, I'm getting mine from Hattons for a princely £24.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

It's absolutely nowhere near twice the price of the Tamiya one. Cheapest prices that a quick google throws up are in the £24 to £29 range for both kits, and if e-hattons are dong them for £24, then what more do you need?

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Don't know why, but I'd say £15 or thereabouts for a Tamiya F1/F3 is a bargain.....please tell me where I can get one? At that price I'll gladly butcher the thing, use the outer wings and tail unit and graft them on to the Airfix kit as the basis of a PR10..

One thing is for sure, and who'd have thought we could say this a few years ago.....Airfix's decals will be vastly superior to any in the Tamiya kit....

Edited by Bill Clark