Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

41 minutes ago, GordonM said:

Question is what to do with the F8 fuselage, otherwise it makes a pretty expensive F4?

If you get the forthcoming Alley Cat conversion you will use most of the Airfix fuselage, apart from the cockpit area and extreme rear from the fin root leading edge.  You need not waste the redundant cockpit by using it to depict a trailer-mounted "hands on" exhibit as used in the past by RAF recruiters at airshows, county fairs and the like, or as a crash rescue training aid diorama (plenty of scope for brutality and weathering).

On 25/09/2017 at 00:14, GordonM said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Alley Cat conversion for?

It is designed to go with the Airfix 1/48th Meteor F.8 to make an F.4.
Next in line by AlleyCat should be a T.7 from the 1/48th Airfix Meteor F.8 

18222278_659582354242296_573896786834823

18300951_659582374242294_827705954261865

18221942_659582447575620_130673307622862

For my part I wish a NF.14 conversion set...

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Homebee said:
For my part I wish a NF.14 conversion set...

V.P.

Someone on one of the club stands at the IPMS Brampton show yesterday appeared to have a working prototype of exactly that (sorry, can't remember which club).  Resin fin, so NF12 or 14 as the 11 and 13 used the Mk. 8 fin, outer wing panels, fuselage fuel tank covers, new nose, cockpits (no bang seats and black boxes for nav) and some etched brass details.  Let's hope either that that makes it into production or that Airfix pick up on the most aesthetically appealing and, in some cases, colourful night fighter Meteor and do the whole nine yards in injected plastic for we assemblers of kits.  Rather fancy the Alley Cat Mk. 4; probably easier to build than the Classic Airframes example lurking n the stash.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GordonM said:

Question is what to do with the F8 fuselage, otherwise it makes a pretty expensive F4?

That is the flaw in the plan, and is what stops me trying to put the theory into practice.  Still, plenty of other stuff in the loft.

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

Someone on one of the club stands at the IPMS Brampton show yesterday appeared to have a working prototype of exactly that (sorry, can't remember which club).  Resin fin, so NF12 or 14 as the 11 and 13 used the Mk. 8 fin, outer wing panels, fuselage fuel tank covers, new nose, cockpits (no bang seats and black boxes for nav) and some etched brass details.  Let's hope either that that makes it into production or that Airfix pick up on the most aesthetically appealing and, in some cases, colourful night fighter Meteor and do the whole nine yards in injected plastic for we assemblers of kits.  Rather fancy the Alley Cat Mk. 4; probably easier to build than the Classic Airframes example lurking n the stash.

Was on the Leicester stand. I think its just a one off by the guy doing the model.

Interesting to note that the latest version the F.8 is made out of the harder plastic. I’m currently building the earlier release with the softer plastic and caution is required in the assembly process in order to retain detail.I plan to use some of @Jon Kunac-Tabinor‘s excellent Marmaduke Press decals on this kit. If you have not already done so and wish for additional airframe options to finalise your build then I recommend you to check them out.

Edited by March
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Now you will supply us with the odd helpful hint should those nice Airfix researchers happen to measure up one of your Sea Venoms - won’t you?? 

Yep - credit where credit’s due. 

Well played Steve. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 6:46 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Now you will supply us with the odd helpful hint should those nice Airfix researchers happen to measure up one of your Sea Venoms - won’t you?? 

Yep - credit where credit’s due. 

Well played Steve. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I've signed the Hornby non disclosure agreement so if anyone was to show up (or not show up) and measure (or not measure) any aircraft that

I may (or may not) have a connection with at any museum I may (or may not have) an association with I will only ever be able to

stand around in very dark sunglasses and only use the words "I can neither confirm nor deny" B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Right -  I’ve fed all that ‘code’ into my Rabbit Leader modelliing deciphering  machine and it comes back with - (OK, imagine voice of Lost in Space Robot) “Airfix researchers have measured Steve’s Sea Venom” 

Lets just hope it’s right - I don’t care what scale. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave...... a word...........

Firstly....... the fact that you can remember Lost in Space is showing your age............... what ever happened to Zakary Smith ??  

Secondly............. Steve's Sea Venom................. some things are best left private :analintruder:

:bleh:

Dick

Edited by jenko

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Right -  I’ve fed all that ‘code’ into my Rabbit Leader modelliing deciphering  machine and it comes back with - (OK, imagine voice of Lost in Space Robot) “Airfix researchers have measured Steve’s Sea Venom” 

Lets just hope it’s right - I don’t care what scale. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Nyet

• 4 weeks later...

The CA kit is definitely one for masochists.

They say that constant dripping weareth away the stone, and we've seen how well that worked with the upcoming 1:48 Hunter from the Red Box Man. Now we just have to start on him about a T.7 ... (At the moment I have an Airfix F.8 and a CA T.7 stacked together waiting for me to sit down and work out how possible it might be to combine the two into a decent two-holer; I'd much rather just open a Big Red Box and build one from there!)

• Greg B locked this topic
  • Greg B unlocked this topic
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Selwyn said:

Anyone else pleased that airfix will release the Meatbox as a FR9 with a camera nose?

Selwyn

I hadn't previously been that bothered... but now you mention it I am seriously starting to warm to the idea...  PRU blue; those 2 Squadron triangles... just needs the inspiration of a piece of Mr Tooby's fantastic artwork and I'm in.   ;)

Edited by RichG