Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

Korea War re-box isn´t planned ?

Reading earlier posts in this thread which discuss what is & is not included, it sounds as though the bits are there for an Aussie one so if not a Korean war re box ( I think I'm right in thinking it was only the RAAF operated these in Korea), there are bound to be/become Korean war decals available, Xtradecals already has some planned I believe (post #154 & subsequent)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Reading earlier posts in this thread which discuss what is & is not included, it sounds as though the bits are there for an Aussie one so if not a Korean war re box ( I think I'm right in thinking it was only the RAAF operated these in Korea), there are bound to be/become Korean war decals available, Xtradecals already has some planned I believe (post #154 & subsequent)

Steve.

Only thing missing for a RAAF Korean War aircraft (aside from ordnance of course) are block tread tyres.

Steve.

Yes, No.77 Squadron only, commencing ops with F.8s on 29 July 1951.

I think it is virtually certain that Airfix will release a Korean War Meteor; I can just see the box art; Sgt George Hale's Meteor, named 'Halestorm', banking away with a MiG-15 going down trailing flames behind it....

Yes, No.77 Squadron only, commencing ops with F.8s on 29 July 1951.

I think it is virtually certain that Airfix will release a Korean War Meteor; I can just see the box art; Sgt George Hale's Meteor, named 'Halestorm', banking away with a MiG-15 going down trailing flames behind it....

The MPM 1/72 Meteor F.8 had some superb artwork for an RAAF F.8

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/mpmpreviewbg_45.htm

Anyone care to comment on that angled "fairing" (maybe not best description) round the fuselage at the trailing edge. It seems to be visible in some walkarounds but not in others? Similarly the missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit? Just ant to know if I should alter them or not?

Thanks,

Andy

Anyone care to comment on that angled "fairing" (maybe not best description) round the fuselage at the trailing edge. It seems to be visible in some walkarounds but not in others? Similarly the missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit? Just ant to know if I should alter them or not?

Thanks,

Andy

Mine has the same - it looks like a reinforcement strap, it is constant in shape and contour on both parts, however, it lines up with a line on the interior of both fuselage halves. It could be mould misalignment but then again it could be a feature on real aircraft I hadn't noticed before - it's not a prominent detail that shows up on the walkarounds http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963140-gloster-meteor-f8/

I can see the line in Jonner's Meteors thread, so it appears consistent amongst the production run http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999662-meteors/

Jonners has called it a flange but that's the wrong word in engineering terms for it, it could be as he mentions overlapping joints between panels but I'm sticking with my strap description. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the type to know whether it was a feature on the real aircraft, a mod that only got dome to some aircraft, moulding error or what, I'll leave that to others to deliberate on.

Regarding the panels behind the cockpit, mine too has a broken line but given it's a two part panel, it looks like the panels don't always line up - this does show up in some of the pictures in the walkarounds, some are more pronounced than others, personally I'll leave mine.

Mine has the same - it looks like a reinforcement strap, it is constant in shape and contour on both parts, however, it lines up with a line on the interior of both fuselage halves. It could be mould misalignment but then again it could be a feature on real aircraft I hadn't noticed before - it's not a prominent detail that shows up on the walkarounds http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963140-gloster-meteor-f8/

I can see the line in Jonner's Meteors thread, so it appears consistent amongst the production run http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999662-meteors/

Jonners has called it a flange but that's the wrong word in engineering terms for it, it could be as he mentions overlapping joints between panels but I'm sticking with my strap description. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the type to know whether it was a feature on the real aircraft, a mod that only got dome to some aircraft, moulding error or what, I'll leave that to others to deliberate on.

Regarding the panels behind the cockpit, mine too has a broken line but given it's a two part panel, it looks like the panels don't always line up - this does show up in some of the pictures in the walkarounds, some are more pronounced than others, personally I'll leave mine.

Hi take a look in our own walk around section

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963140-gloster-meteor-f8/

Where you can see it it looks like it's more defined on its rear edge, with the forward being softer - hence i think its an overlapping joint, or it covers an internal flange ( ie a projecting or raised collar). What ever it is - its a lot more subtle than the kit, so , as I said, some sanding will sort it out I believe :)

I just wonder if the LIDAR picks up things like this as more pronounced than they are?

Cheers

Jonners

Hi take a look in our own walk around section

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963140-gloster-meteor-f8/

Where you can see it it looks like it's more defined on its rear edge, with the forward being softer - hence i think its an overlapping joint, or it covers an internal flange ( ie a projecting or raised collar). What ever it is - its a lot more subtle than the kit, so , as I said, some sanding will sort it out I believe :)

I just wonder if the LIDAR picks up things like this as more pronounced than they are?

Cheers

Jonners

Hi Jonners,

I looked there and convinced myself I could see it in one view and then convinced myself I couldn't see it on another, one thing for sure, having re-examined the kit again, I'm sure it's meant to be there rather than mould misalignment.

Any flange at that point should be internal at a joint between two frames however, a reinforcement strap may pick up on those frames, I wonder if some frames were getting stressed at that point?

I suspect you're correct, LIDAR may be giving it more prominence than it deserves and its nothing that cant be tamed down with a few swipes of a sanding stick!

FWIW, I think Airfix has done a cracking job with this kit and are to be commended, I can see myself doing several in a number of colour schemes.

Just received mine and I have to say wow. The finesse of the rivets on the ailerons is stunning. The ejection seat and cockpit look great in the box. Great decals. Love it!

I have only been waiting for an IM F8 for 33 years and I am not disappointed.

Will

• Like 3

For those of you living close to Portsmouth, Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre (which is in Commercial Road, Portsmouth now) had a nice pile of them on his shop floor , this Saturday. Go on, you know you cant keep lugging that fat wallet around, invest in that plastic...

A

• Like 1

Just got mine today. I recently received a £10 off voucher from eBay, so there's no way I could resist this kit for £20.69. Airfix just seem to get better with

every release - this looks to be a very impressive kit and I'm really looking forward to their future release.

Must admit……I'm finding it mildly amusing that many new (as in newly tooled) Airfix kits are appearing well ahead of their scheduled release dates, in marked contrast to those of other mainstream manufacturers. IIRC the Meteor is at least the third 1:48 scale offering to come out earlier than expected, after the Hurricane Mk I and the Defiant Mk I…..no doubt its a similar situation with some of the 1:72 scale kits ?. I see it's already playing havoc with some aftermarket decal manufacturers' ability to release their decal sheets in time too !.

• Like 1

Just bought one from my local shop at full £33 and don't regret it. I know I could have got it mail order for £24, but if I don't support the shop it dies. I justified the purchase to my wife as my mother was rushed into hospital and I half expected 'the phone call' overnight, apparently "needing cheering up" is now viable excuse!

• Like 4

I received my kit the other day and I'm absolutely ecstatic about the moulding quality and engineering. This is my first kit of the "new" Airfix and I totally agree with everything that's been said. Nice thin, clean, crisp parts, fine panel lines and surface detail, clever parts break down, some very fine detail parts as well. And I like the stressed skin effect a lot. Sprue attachments are very small indeed and I like the overall "feel" of the parts. In a way it reminds me of Hasegawa kits, only improved further. I've only clipped the fuselage halves together so I can't comment on buildability, but what I've read elsewhere looks very promising as well.

If anything is to criticise then it's the habit of packing all runners together in one bag. The inevitably leads to a bit of warping and perhaps a few scratches. I think a few pennies extra for separate bags wouldn't break the bank.

Jeffrey

• Like 1

If anything is to criticise then it's the habit of packing all runners together in one bag. The inevitably leads to a bit of warping and perhaps a few scratches. I think a few pennies extra for separate bags wouldn't break the bank.

Jeffrey

Really? Surely warping is due to heat and cooling, such as when the parts are removed hot from the mould and then left in a pile to cool? Not by packing them all together in the same bag.

As for any scratches that may occur, they're nothing worse than many of us would introduce by building the thing anyway and are easily polished out, the biggest problem caused by packing all the sprues in the same bag is that inevitably some parts get broken off of the sprues, which could or could not be a problem.

Personally I could live with only the clear parts being bagged as long as the box was properly sealed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Xtradecals

- ref. X48158 - Gloster Meteor F.8 Collection pt1
Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48158

X48158.jpg X48158_1.jpg X48158_2.jpg X48158_3.jpg

X48158_4.jpg X48158_5.jpgX48158_6.jpg

- ref . X48159 - Gloster Meteor F.8 Collection pt2

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48159

X48159.jpg X48159_1.jpg X48159_2.jpg

X48159_3.jpg X48159_4.jpg X48159_5.jpg

- ref . X48160 - Gloster Meteor F./TT.8 Day glo stripes