Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

I've grabbed some of the Xtradecal X48160 dayglo sets since they can very easily also be adapted for a T7 model or even an NF(T)14. I asked David Hannant last year if he would consider upsizing the similar 1/72 sheet available then and he said probably not due to the slow sales of said 1/72 version. But, bingo! here we are, a 1/48 set.

If you want one, buy it and prove that it was worth their while producing such a useful decal set. Cutting all those bits of dayglo from a solid sheet just makes me want to have a lie down at the thought.

Anyone heard any rumours of conv.sets for the Airfix kit? I'm thinking maybe PR10 or just FR10 nose maybe. Or, perhaps, NF14 or T7.

Nige B

Anyone heard any rumours of conv.sets for the Airfix kit?

NO I have not heard any rumours but am prepared to start ONE, I have various bits and pieces under consideration, and think that quite a few sets should be possible..............

More news in the next little while.....................

Ali

• Like 8

Ali62, on 16 Apr 2016 - 2:26 PM, said:Ali62, on 16 Apr 2016 - 2:26 PM, said:Ali62, on 16 Apr 2016 - 2:26 PM, said:

(...) NO I have not heard any rumours but am prepared to start ONE, I have various bits and pieces under consideration, and think that quite a few sets should be possible..............

More news in the next little while.....................(...)

...NF.14...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But please no vacuform canopies!

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

...NF.14...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But please no vacuform canopies!

V.P.

Well I like vacform canopies. But then again, I do have masochistic tendencies.....

Seriously though, I'm a very average modeller, and possibly not even that good but cannot understand what the issues are with vacform canopies. Providing you go slowly and trim, trim, trim, measure again, trim again there should invariably be a good outcome and they are so thin and clear aren't they? Maybe I've just been lucky with them. My first was the old Airmodel Meteor 14 conversion back in the 1970s. Totally awful apart from the canopy and tail end which surprisingly (very surprisingly) went well and went a long way towards laying the demon.

No offence meant there VP, just encouragement.

Nige B

• Like 1

I've grabbed some of the Xtradecal X48160 dayglo sets since they can very easily also be adapted for a T7 model or even an NF(T)14. I asked David Hannant last year if he would consider upsizing the similar 1/72 sheet available then and he said probably not due to the slow sales of said 1/72 version. But, bingo! here we are, a 1/48 set.

If you want one, buy it and prove that it was worth their while producing such a useful decal set. Cutting all those bits of dayglo from a solid sheet just makes me want to have a lie down at the thought.

Nige B

I have to agree that cutting it from a sheet of solid would be 1). Time consuming and, 2). Probably bad for the eyesight! Spare a thought for the poor lineys that had the job in teal life!

Whilst I have a certain sympathy for slow sales of the 1/72nd sheet (although I am one who has the sheet), it does overlook the fact that for many people, there aren't the kits to use them on (and yes, I know there are the Special Hobby derived kits and potentially the Matchbox derived kits but most people won't want to go to that effort).

At least with the new Airfix kit you can use those decals easily.

I for one will be investing in a few as I find the Target Tugs more interesting.

Now if Airfix could see their way of scaling the 1/48th kit down to 1/72nd they'd make an awful lot of people very happy - including David Hannant!

Believe me when you get to lick the plastic you'll be eBaying body parts. I'm up to 5 already :banghead:

I'm still waiting for the Hornby Visitor Centre (my local model shop!!!) to have a delivery :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

• Like 1

Brigade Models - ref. BKC48003

Source: https://www.facebook.com/SAMEditor1/posts/961949210586751

Gloster Meteor F.8 Prone position 1/48th scale designed to be used with Airfix AX09182 kit

Manufacturer: Brigade

Code Number: BKC48003

Scale: 1:48

Item type: Aircraft conversions (injection)

Price: £TBA

13043677_961949090586763_447211698521003

13007129_961949147253424_412874785534395

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

I was chuffed when my Meatbox arrived in the porch, couldn't wait to open the box - then a bit disappointed to find the clear sprue short shot; both canopies only half filled. A call to Airfix and was told to fill in the email form on their website.

Finally received a curt reply from Airfix so-called customer service: This is a new kit and we don't have any spare parts. So, I emailed a reply asking what I should do with my now useless kit - 'return to vendor' came the also curt reply. Vendor has none in stock, but has been helpful by saying they will take it up with the Hornby rep.............

I want to help Airfix be a success, but with an attitude like this (have they really got no spares??) I'm finding it hard to keep the faith.

Anyone else had short-shot problems with new Airfix releases?

I was chuffed when my Meatbox arrived in the porch, couldn't wait to open the box - then a bit disappointed to find the clear sprue short shot; both canopies only half filled. A call to Airfix and was told to fill in the email form on their website.

Finally received a curt reply from Airfix so-called customer service: This is a new kit and we don't have any spare parts. So, I emailed a reply asking what I should do with my now useless kit - 'return to vendor' came the also curt reply. Vendor has none in stock, but has been helpful by saying they will take it up with the Hornby rep.............

I want to help Airfix be a success, but with an attitude like this (have they really got no spares??) I'm finding it hard to keep the faith.

Anyone else had short-shot problems with new Airfix releases?

I must say I'm really surprised at this, I was one of those whose 1/24th Typhoon came with a poorly moulded canopy, I filled in the form on the website and got replacements in a matter of days. It leads me to ask has there been a change of policy at Airfix?

I must say I'm really surprised at this, I was one of those whose 1/24th Typhoon came with a poorly moulded canopy, I filled in the form on the website and got replacements in a matter of days. It leads me to ask has there been a change of policy at Airfix?

I recently bought a 48th Mosquito with a missing clear sprue & decals. I had exactly the same curt e-mail reply from Airfix's 'customer service' department as plasticmasher - no parts available. The Mossie was then a recently re-issued kit, and is still available on their website.

Keith

I recently bought a 48th Mosquito with a missing clear sprue & decals. I had exactly the same curt e-mail reply from Airfix's 'customer service' department as plasticmasher - no parts available. The Mossie was then a recently re-issued kit, and is still available on their website.

Keith

Oh dear, it isn't very good is it? I suppose Airfix are applying the Sale of Goods Act rules (e.g. return to vendor), but as Plasticmasher has indicated, it isn't always a satisfactory solution.

Don't lose hope. I got the same reply regarding the cracked canopy in my copy of the then brand new Do-17Z. With the passage of time a satisfactory replacement arrived in the post. Apparently they don't stock spares right away. Sort of like auto parts but with less justification. Not much fun if you want to be the first to build it but it all sorts in the end.

I have the same patience is a virtue issues with them, i had 4 Dakota 's with hairline cracks in the main cabine windows (I have twelve of these kits).

I spent 3 mails on it and I found a year of waiting long enough and i called them and tata they arrived last week and even better whitin a week after the call(compliments to the employee who helped me).

But I am Lucky so I have a splendid meteor with a crack in the windshield and the same answer as anyone else from airfix customer service.

I can probably wait for another year .....they really have issues with quality control I think.

It is a pity because the are all very good models I really love the kits they produce .

You don't need that much spares if your q.c. is doing it's work.

Edited by janneman36