Best ww2 'starter' ship kits

sapperastro

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on what would be the best 'starter' kits to learn the naval modelling trade. I am not overly interested in getting after market parts as yet, just something to get to grips with, that doesn't cause too many issues of fit and so on. Basically kits that can be built out of the box and end up a decent model. I have extensive experience with aircraft and armour modelling, but have never built any naval vessels to date. While I like the look of the big Tamiya Prince of Wales and so on, I would be happy doing smaller scale if that would be the better way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you got a scale in mind? I'd suggest aiming to stick with 1/700 or 1/350, the defacto standard scales for ship modelling.

I'm more of a 1/350 modeller myself. I will suggest that you couldn't go too far wrong with a fairly modern Tamiya destroyer, such as the Imperial Japanese Navy's Kagero or Yukikaze.

Image result for tamiya kagero

These are recent kits with a sensible parts breakdown, excellent fit, decent detail out of the box, not too big and daunting like AA-gun bristling late-war battleships and an all-grey colour scheme (camouflage painting ships is a whole extra layer of complexity).

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. It is a pity the Tamiya line seems so limited in nationalities, but from experience on their other kits it doesn't surprise me that they would come up as the prime recommendation. I will be grabbing one of these shortly. I have to say, that looks like a monster of a destroyer with those guns.

Thanks again.

I also recommend for you , Tamiya - they fit together well -

I would stick to 1/350 scale as the details are easier to show and also the aftermarket range is larger ...and there is a wide choice of ships

I concur , The Yukikaze is a lovely model , and is well-designed

and if you want an easy build , try the Ww1/WW2 Destroyer made by Showcase Models of Australia - HMAS Vendetta in 1/350 Scale

its a lovely injected plastic kit , and is a straight-forward build , as its well-fitting and attractive - This is the model I own  , next to the Trumpeter ' HMS Cossack ' ( at the back )

gQflb5l.jpg?1

Edited by 73north
  • Like 2